Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

PDR HX-50

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:PDR HX-50

Rod,

I made some phone calls and we can set this up when you come to the dyno event if you want. All we need to do is be sure and schedule the date. The cost will be around $1000 for the day of testing. We will be able to pretty much get any performance info and comparision data that people want. The shop is only about an hour off I-80 if you are planning on driving that route on your way to the dyno day in VA.

Doug
Old 04-21-2003, 09:09 PM

Good discussion guys!. So if you have 50lbs. of boost in the intake manifold what the pressure likely to be at the turbo outlet due to the restriction of the intercooler? Just a WAG, 55-57 psi? This info is an eye opener....I might be moving my boost gauge pickup from the intake manifold to the turbo outlet <br><br>Or how about this, what is the flow rate (in kg/sec) of the intercooler? Are there any published numbers? I know the 24 valve intercooler flows better but how much better than the 12 valve intercooler?
Old 04-21-2003, 09:13 PM

I think the stock intercooler on a 24v is around 950cfm... I know the 12v is less.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:22 AM

12V 875 cfm, 24V 975 cfm. How about his one, air temp right after the little turbo at 50 psi boost is 400 degrees and 120 degrees at the intake hat! Yes I have a guage with a max temp recall on it now for two signals....nice toy I got from PDR for R&amp;D purposes.<br><br>Jim
Old 04-22-2003, 04:59 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

[quote author=Jetpilot link=board=7;threadid=13676;start=30#130017 date=1050883524]<br>Rod,<br><br>I made some phone calls and we can set this up when you come to the dyno event if you want. All we need to do is be sure and schedule the date. The cost will be around $1000 for the day of testing. We will be able to pretty much get any performance info and comparision data that people want. The shop is only about an hour off I-80 if you are planning on driving that route on your way to the dyno day in VA.<br><br>Doug<br>[/quote]<br><br>I asked Rod this and I will ask you this...whats the thousand dollars for? Whats that include?
Old 04-22-2003, 06:37 PM

It includes use of the shop, dyno, engine, testing equipment, and a dyno operator. This test could be done very scientifically with no differences due to the controlled enviroment.<br><br>Doug
Old 04-22-2003, 08:31 PM
Top's Younger Twin

[quote author=Jetpilot link=board=7;threadid=13676;start=30#130701 date=1051054654]<br>It includes use of the shop, dyno, engine, testing equipment, and a dyno operator. This test could be done very scientifically with no differences due to the controlled enviroment.<br><br>Doug<br>[/quote]<br><br>Lets get the builders of these turbos involved too. They should be there to discuss their products and oversee any installs and/or issues.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:53 PM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

<br>
<br><br>Lets get the builders of these turbos involved too. They should be there to discuss their products and oversee any installs and/or issues.<br>
<br>Thats only about a 4 day drive from here. :
Old 04-22-2003, 11:08 PM
Top's Younger Twin

[quote author=nascar mark link=board=7;threadid=13676;start=30#130786 date=1051066403]<br>
<br>
<br><br>Lets get the builders of these turbos involved too. They should be there to discuss their products and oversee any installs and/or issues.<br>
<br>Thats only about a 4 day drive from here. :<br>[/quote]<br><br>three and half from here. :
Old 04-23-2003, 10:39 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A test using an engine dyno is not going to be as real life as using the truck itself. The drivetrain and all on a chassis dyno would be the closest thing to real life as we can hope for. <br><br>Drag racing has a ton of variables as does sled pulling. Chassis dynos are repeatable back to back within a few HP of each other. My experience with an engine dyno and the variables of them when using a high TQ engine like ours is not the best. Most are better suited for a more linear TQ and HP curve like gas engines have. Not all of them of course. <br><br>Would it not be just a ton easier to just swap the turbos on a chassis dyno and get some numbers this way? Many of us already have a good idea of the performance we get in real life after we chassis dyno and get a number this way. Many of us still need to graduate the chassis dyno before we move on to more advanced test instrument with even more variables than we have now. <br><br>A test using the same truck and swaping turbos with all the welding and fabrication is already plenty difficult to perform.<br><br>Dyno the truck with Y turbo and then dyno the truck with X turbo. Leaving time to cool between runs and on the same day with weather patterns that are stable and the results will be plenty close and the overall cost will be much lower as well.<br><br>Of course all this is moot anyway, because different trucks have different fueling levels, exhaust systems, operate at different elevations (a big factor in compressor efficiency)<br><br>At best we get a test that says.....this truck did better with this combo of parts using this turbo at this elevation and boost level with this and this and this. If we change one variable we could get different results between the turbos. <br>One may be better on the dyno and slower to spool on the street. One may be better on the street and lose some power on the dyno. One may spool faster and clean up smoke for daily use. The faster spooling turbo may run a better short time at 60 ft, 300 ft and the 1/8 mile while one may run the back half of the track better. <br><br>Finally, most street driven trucks may want a turbo that wont explode bi-annually or will last under the more extreme conditions that drag racing, using nitrous and heavy fueling can entail. Some may not care and say I want a turbo that will make the utmost power and if it explodes once a week its no problem for me. <br><br>All the turbo testing for the general &quot;braggin' rights&quot; of best overall turbo will take a much more involved and controlled data set than mentioned above and for what?....so the next turbo that comes out next month can claim they now have a better turbo that was not ready last month. <br><br>The whole thing is moot. Not to mention expensive and gives limited results for the masses<br><br>Don~<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Old 04-23-2003, 10:44 AM
Banned

Thanks a lot Don. You just had to go and get all technical and ruin it for the rest of us. You do bring up some good points though.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:14 PM
Top's Younger Twin

[quote author=Gonzo link=board=7;threadid=13676;start=30#130967 date=1051112952]<br>I totally agree with Don on this one, limit the variables and get more locked in results.......chassis dyno seems the best way to fly.<br><br>I'm going to get my head checked now for agreeing with 20 hole Don. <br>[/quote]<br><br>I was pondering the same thing. Not you agreeing with smokey Don but the testing. Even on the dyno it will have the loop holes of variables like mentioned by no power Don.<br><br> <br><br>Scottymyscottysucks ;D
Old 04-23-2003, 02:12 PM

Don and guys,<br><br>Why would we want to use a chassis dyno to get flow numbers? That is what is to be decided with the dyno. But if you want to know other parameters besides flow numbers then those can be included as well. With a chassis dyno we cannot check or control the following without major modifications to the truck:<br><br>Air Intake temp<br>EGT per cylinder<br>Engine speed<br>Engine temp<br>Water temp<br>Back pressure<br>Drive pressure<br>Turbo wheel speed<br>CFM<br><br><br>While the chassis dyno would include the drivetrain components it does not allow for a completely standardized testing of all the above parameters. The engine is run by a computer program so it takes any operator variables out of the equation.<br><br>Don how many engine dynos have you actually used? If you had any experience testing with them you would know that for checking the above areas the chassis dyno just doesn't cut it. The engine dyno while not perfect is the only true way to evaluate these areas. How do you propose we check flow #'s? That is where all of this came from, which turbo flows more!<br><br>OK here ya go if everyone wants there is a dynojet about 40 miles away from the engine dyno in IN. After the engine dyno we could then go to the dyno shop and do some more testing.... Just an idea.<br><br>Doug<br>

Quick Reply: PDR HX-50