Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

p-pump timing

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
p-pump timing

i have a 2001 dodge ram short bed single cab truck with 11 1/2 inches of lift in the front and 9 1/2 in the back i took the stock 360 out of it and put a 96 12 valve in it with all the drivetrain i rebuilt the motor and drove the truck for about four months then i added some hp mods i put a #0 plate 4000rpm gvs and 60 pound valve spring and i got the timing off when i put the injection pump back on o ya and the reason i took the injection pump off was that the timing cover busted on the front of my motor and i had to replace and there was a crack in the cover on the back of the injection pump when i got the donor truck so i had to replace that as well but anyway the timing is off and i need to know how far advanced i need to set it im running stock head bolts and with my hp mods i should be around 375 hp i think it needs to be around 16 or 17 degrees but im not sure can someone help me with this please
12valve1/2ton is online now Report Post
Old 02-04-2010, 12:42 PM

oh ya im not one hundred percent sure its my timing maybe someone can conferm it for me it is very hard starting and misses like crazy at low rpms and blows out alot of white smoke. When you take off it blows huge amounts of white smoke and falls on its face for a little bit and acts like it might die and then it just opens up and runs without missing but there is isnt any smoke no black smoke no white smoke and it doesnt seem to have the power it should it it runs better when its worm but it is still pretty bad i have changed all my fuel lines changed my overflow valve changed my lift pump bypassed my fuel heater changed my fuel filter checked the backlash on my valve 3 or 4 different times i have went over everything i did when i changed all that stuff over 3 or 4 different times i dont think i did anything wrong i am a really thorough person when i work on something but when i took my motor apart the first time i put it tdc and didnt touch the p-pump and it hadent moved when i put it back together but when i took it off the second time i had learned about the timing pin in the p-pump and just used that to time it back to the motor and then later i learned that the pin the pump methed of timing a p-pump to the motor isnt exactly accurate so i think my timing is way retarded and that is what is causing my problems if anyone has any ideas of what else it might be any suggestions would be appreceated
Old 02-04-2010, 01:18 PM

Get someone with a timing kit to verify the pump timing or get a kit yourself. Sounds like it is way out. Dont be suprised if you put it on a dyno and it is way under 375hp.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:35 PM

i have a timing kit but i have never timed one before i was planning on tackling that project soon i just wanted a little conformation on where i need to set the timing i think 16 or 17 degrees advanced is where it needs to be just not 100% on it and i figured the hp estimate was prolly a little steep that is just what pure diesel power told me when i ordered hp mods and my tire size will take a little away from the at the wheels hp it has 38 inch boggers on it and it has the stock gear ratio
Old 02-10-2010, 09:47 AM

ok i timed the pump to the truck and still runs like crap anyone got anymore suggestions as to what might be causing my problems i advanced it 16 degrees and now it runs worse than it did i cant even get it to idle and just cranking it makes white smoke blow out of the tailpipe like crazy it doesnt even have to fire im going to tripple check the timing and make sure i didnt miss anything but if its right does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing my problems. any help would be greatly appreciated i spent 6 months building this truck from the ground up and it ran great untill the timing cover broke and i had to remove the injection pump and i put the hp mods on it i have a 4x4 shop in the small town i live in and when i say small i mean like 2000 people and they all like to talk so this is really making me look bad and in a town like this bad pupblicity is a really bad thing for a new shop with young people running it so i really need some help
Old 02-10-2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by 12valve1/2ton
ok i timed the pump to the truck and still runs like crap anyone got anymore suggestions as to what might be causing my problems i advanced it 16 degrees and now it runs worse than it did i cant even get it to idle and just cranking it makes white smoke blow out of the tailpipe like crazy it doesnt even have to fire im going to tripple check the timing and make sure i didnt miss anything but if its right does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing my problems. any help would be greatly appreciated i spent 6 months building this truck from the ground up and it ran great untill the timing cover broke and i had to remove the injection pump and i put the hp mods on it i have a 4x4 shop in the small town i live in and when i say small i mean like 2000 people and they all like to talk so this is really making me look bad and in a town like this bad pupblicity is a really bad thing for a new shop with young people running it so i really need some help
You can't just advance the timing. You need to determine what the pump is timed at before you can advance or retard the timing.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
What plunger lift did you have at 16 degree advance?
Remove timing pin lock clip with pocket screwdriver and remove the plastic TDC pin remove O-Ring so pin slides in and out easy. And then plug in p-pump where timing lock is. Remove timing lock plug don't loose the gasket on this. Check timing tooth and make sure it is centered as in picture. That will put you in the ball park. Then you will need to fine tune it with the gear. Make sure you recheck after you tighten to final torque. Make sure the gear and the pump shaft are spotless (NO OIL). The gear will slip if you donot clean it off really well with brake clean and clean rag and tighten it to the correct torque.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:12 AM

i got it running rite 6speedcowboy set me strait i was timing my pump to the wrong amount of lift i didnt know anything about cpl # so i was just reading a chart for a diferent cpl number i advanced my timing to 6.4 mm wich is what the chart i was looking at said but there is more than one chart and the one i was looking at wasnt for my pump so 6.4mm was accually like 28 degrees advanced so 6speedcowboy pointed me towards the right chart and i set it at 4.9 mm and all is good it runs great and its fast that motor has no problem getting that lite truck down the road now the only problem i have is the tranny and hooking up lol thanks for all the help i couldnt have gottn this figured out with out it
Old 02-11-2010, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good you got it (timed correctly) fixed what was it that caused you to remove the pump for the case crack did you get bit by the killer dowel pin fall out ??

If not i hope you checked and tabbed it while you were changing the case if not you are going to be kicking yourself.

Let us know if you are not aware of the KDP.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:01 PM

i was aware of it and got it fixed but that is what happend that dowle pin came out and busted a hole about three inches long in the timing cover
Old 02-11-2010, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by 12valve1/2ton
i was aware of it and got it fixed but that is what happend that dowle pin came out and busted a hole about three inches long in the timing cover
No fun but at least the good news is it did not trash the engine just the case how many miles were on it when it dropped ?
Old 02-12-2010, 10:14 AM

well i just rebuilt the motor when it happend and i had less that 100 miles on the rebuild so that sucked really bad i was pretty upset about it. there was a lot of night that i was up till three in the morning or untill daylight building my truck and to have a whole masteriouislly get busted in the timing cover after only driving it for 100 miles was pretty terible expecilly because that was the fist time i had ever done anything with a diesel i didnt know exactly how the fuel combusted in the cilender when i started this project so the whole had me questioning if i had done everything write if i messed something up or what. and then i found out it it could have been prevented and that made it even worse. but anyway the motor had 360 thousand on it when i rebuilt it and i couldnt leave new parts next to old parts because we couldnt tell them apart it looked like a brand new motor inside i was pretty amazed
Old 02-12-2010, 11:22 AM

Ouch that really hurts when you find out you could have prevented easily when you had it apart. That was a hard lesson you have learned. Again i am glad it was not worse for you than it was you should be good to go now and have fun with it.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:58 AM

i will i plan to add lots more hp mods but for right now i just have to get a trany in it that will hold the power does anyone know where i might find everything i need to switch to a five speed
Old 02-12-2010, 02:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the motor is new and you're planning for more horsepower, I'd tighten the stock headbolts down to 130 ft lbs or so. The headgasket should be fine till well into the 500 HP range if you keep timing reasonable. I'll bet your 28* put a lot of stress on the headgasket, hopefully you didn't run it too hard when it was running so poorly.

Quick Reply: p-pump timing