Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

opinions please:

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opinions please:

opinions please: So what do you all think about my mod plans. I am starting out by playin it safe. Going for a FASS, then 275's and edge ez and getting my hx35 upgraded by htt to the 35/40 hybrid( planning on twins at some point in the future). Will be getting the edge comp hot and some point but i can stack the ez with it. Tell me what you think

Kevin
Old 12-19-2005, 09:52 AM

sounds fun, just dont forget gauges, intake (bhaf is pretty cheap) and exhaust

*edit

I see you have gauges and exhaust BHAF would be nice though
Old 12-19-2005, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont bother with the eazy just get the drag comp and dont stick the wire, that way you have a eazy already.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by heavyboostin
opinions please: So what do you all think about my mod plans. I am starting out by playin it safe. Going for a FASS, then 275's and edge ez and getting my hx35 upgraded by htt to the 35/40 hybrid( planning on twins at some point in the future). Will be getting the edge comp hot and some point but i can stack the ez with it. Tell me what you think

Kevin
My opinions, take or leave:
1) FASS is completely unnecessary, and NOT the best fix if you DO want to upgrade. The real long term fix is a new cam and mech LP. Until then, just open up your fittings with a Scotty Smart Fuel setup or similar. Save your FASS money-- people buy them out of fear and spend $600 for a false sense of security. Mech pumps are more reliable than electric pumps, and the FASS hasn't proven to be much of an upgrade for reliability-- certainly not enough to justify the cost.

2) The EZ is ok, but the smarter buy is getting the comp right away. DO NOT STACK AN E-Z WITH A COMP!! Heck, the EZ alone has a little too much timing, and when stacked with a comp, you can grenade your engine from excessive timing. If nothing else, your stacked mileage will drop, and your headgasket will have a short life.
A better option is this new Smarty tuner. 10 different flavors to choose from, and a much "smarter" way to do timing, etc, imo.
If you're comfortable tapping the wire, get a TST box. If not, get the smarty. If you want it all, get both. There's nothing wrong with a Comp per se (it's very popular), but the timing is a little too much for best power and MPG. That, and Edge's offshore manufacturing is pretty low quality, and the boxes die regularly. I was averaging an EZ a year.

3) You don't need a turbo upgrade until you're well past an EZ and 275s. Stock turbo can handle EZ and DD2s, even while towing!

Personally, I'd recommend the following (in order of upgrades)
-- gauges (at least pyro and fuel pressure, but boost is nice, too)
-- Scotty's smart fuel lines
-- Intake upgrade (Scotty's is great; bhaf is cheaper if you aren't running the truck very hard). Scotty's stuff is available here in the DTR store and is the highest quality.
-- Smarty tuner for your ECM software
-- Mach 1.6 injectors
-- TST powermax 3 fueling box with no remote
-- Maybe an exhaust system if you decide to go to a larger turbo. The stock exhaust flows a LOT more than the stock turbine, so an exhaust upgrade with a stock turbo is not the wisest way to spend money, imo.

jh
Old 12-19-2005, 11:57 AM
Muted User

I second 100% not buying a FASS. It is my personal opinion that they are 100% snake oil and that they are not proving to be reliable at all. Monitor your lift pump condition. If it fails, I recomend the Holley Blue.

I also say skip the EZ and go right to the Comp.

And skip the RV 275's and get a nice set of moderate (+90 to +130)EDMS, either nozzles for your bodies, or whole injectors.

If you go with +130 or larger EDMS, then do the turbo hybrid like you say. If you go with only RV 275's skip the turbo mod, its not necessary.

KP
Old 12-19-2005, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
-- Maybe an exhaust system if you decide to go to a larger turbo. The stock exhaust flows a LOT more than the stock turbine, so an exhaust upgrade with a stock turbo is not the wisest way to spend money, imo.

jh
I won't disagree with this but a 4" exhaust will reduce exhaust temps.