Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Opinions on fueling boxes

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Opinions on fueling boxes

What problems can I expect if I install a PM 3 adj. on my 98.5 3500 5 speed that has a reman injection pump, new transfer pump, and new ecm. I cannot afford to ruin a 1000 dollar part. This truck is used for towing, and the kit would never be run above level 5. What problems have others had, or are you completely satisfied? The truck is otherwise stock. I would solder the connections instead of using the scotchlock.

-Or- Which kits do you prefer and why?
Thanks
Old 08-03-2004, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pike

I love the PM3. Have had no problems. I understand the earlier 2nd Gen. trucks are more likely to have problems but I believe the key is to "train" your injector pump... start out gently on low settings and get past the first hour. Solder is the only way to go. I also highly recommend a diesel fuel conditioner w/ lubricity additive to keep pumps well lubricated.

I'm sure others will chime in here that have 98.5's.

RJ
Old 08-03-2004, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pike,
I have the edge comp and have never had a hiccup let alone a problem even after 20,000 miles and I run it on 5X5 all the time. Also, I have never used anything but No. 2. I like the Edge Comp because of its in-cab adjustability in spite of the fact that I never edjust it But if I had to I could! Scott
Old 08-03-2004, 10:06 PM
DRD

Depends on where you want to end up I guess. I like my combination with the EZ/RV 275. Friendly on the pump and fair power and the stock clutch is holding for now. You should be okay tapping the wire with your reman. pump. When it's clutch time for me I'll probably get a TST to stack with my EZ but for good pulling power I like the combo above.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:03 AM

I would never get injectors for fear of burning a piston like I have seen others do on this site and others. The reason that I am a little shy about the EZ is because I don't like the idea of it being turned on all the time, even at idle. I also don't know how long these boxes are expected to last.
Thanks for the replys.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:35 AM

Also, is there any way to get a remote and digital gauges with a TST powermax 1 or 2 and just have up to level 3 or 6 be useable?
Old 08-04-2004, 09:44 AM

Pike

It is my understanding that the PM1, 2, 3 are all the same box. Buy a PM2 and it comes set on #6 +/- with no adjustability. So I think the only way to get gauges is with The PM3 adjustable.

RJ
Old 08-04-2004, 10:55 AM
Chapter President

Originally posted by Pike
I would never get injectors for fear of burning a piston like I have seen others do on this site and others.....
Please explain. IMHO injectors are a safer upgrade than an aftermarket box...
Old 08-04-2004, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Got an Blue Chip stacked with an EZ and love it.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:33 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I mean that in all the pictures that people have posted of a melted piston either seem to have a 65 hp. superchip or injectors in their signature, with injectors (and a box) being more common to all of them. Maybe I am wrong, I usually am.
Is it true that you can turn the EZ off for heavy towing without unplugging it? Maybe that would be a better alternative, and can someone give me an example of how a Ram will pull a grade with a trailer with and without an EZ? Thanks again
Old 08-04-2004, 12:37 PM
DRD

Why would you unplug the EZ for towing? That's what it's for. RV275's are quite mild really, they came stock in certain applications. I think you could do a lot more damage with a PM3 than you ever could with an EZ. I have to try hard to get over 1200 on the pyro, I think a stock truck could bury the pryo with just a PM3.

Towing is way better with the EZ/275's , hills I had to drop to 3rd in before I can pull comfortably in 4th. I never really towed heavy with just the EZ but it was a nice boost by itself empty. Do you want a race car or a tractor??
Old 08-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Chapter President

Having the injectors amplifies any increases you apply with a fueling controller. If you have a wild controler that isn't really sensitive to timing and just pours on the fuel (superchips) you may melt down. I don't discount injectors as a cause if you get a set that are cheap, unmatched or poorly made. The unbalance in fuel would cause one cylinder to get way to much and melt down. You do get what you pay for.

I have seen guys using the EZ for years towing and love it. It is a good unit and will not do damage to a stock setup. Even a setup like DRD is safe, save for the clutch.. . The EZ and 275's are the limit for stock drivetrain components but is not radical enough to cause damage.

IMHO of course..
Old 08-04-2004, 02:20 PM
Administrator

I melted a piston with an EZ and DD II's but I was pulling a six mile long 7% grade at 72 mph pulling 21000 pounds also.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:52 PM
Chapter President

DD II are a fair bit more agressive than 275's aren't they??
Old 08-04-2004, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Dieseldude4x4
I melted a piston with an EZ and DD II's but I was pulling a six mile long 7% grade at 72 mph pulling 21000 pounds also.
Now you have an EGT guage though, right?

No matter what you have, mild to wild, as long as you watch your guages,
which should be step #1 on any bombing plan,
you shouldn't have to worry about melting anything.

phox

Quick Reply: Opinions on fueling boxes