Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

OK, who's got the highest reving CTD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don,
What about Scheids trucks (s)?? One of your trucks ever beat the Kent Crowder Scheid truck?
Old 02-17-2005, 02:39 AM

Don,
Sometimes big dog trucks dont have good pulls.
Just like when John Force blows an engine in the first 60'.

Also, many of these trucks break parts more frequently than I eat at McDonalds (thats alot by the way!).

I applaud the street twin turbo trucks that pull as I applaud the single trucks that pull. I am not taking anything away from Nolan for pulling with the big trucks.

A good example of what you are basically saying happend to me last year:

A truck that runs like a bat out of hell in the street class placed almost last because of a bad pull and didnt light the charger or was having issues of some sort.
I placed about 10 ahead of that truck, does that mean my engine makes more power? NO! that trucks engine would eat mine alive!

Don,
Quit trying to fool these people on the internet into thinking you invented 5k rpm with the B series Cummins!
Old 02-17-2005, 02:49 AM

"We already know a squashy, squishy, soppy stock chassis 800 or so HP truck could never outpull a 1500-1700HP tube chassis, undriveable on the street, Rock Hard Ram! Or could it? Hmmm.

Life is good Hilljacks! I can only smile when I see the 24 valves with stock injection pumps stomp a 1000HP pulller." --DON M--

Don,
Rock Hard Ram is 1400hp+ (make that a mental note), there is an engine dyno sheet that exists for that one too!

Curt Haisley's truck is over 1000hp and runs in the Prostreet with a stock chassis. Why dont you mod up a truck to compete against that one? MACH 6's, a secret pressure box and cam will take'em!!

Old 02-17-2005, 09:11 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Justin, take a few deep breaths and have yourself a McDonalds hamburger. You will feel better in no time.

Don~
Old 02-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Banned

double cheeseburger is a much better buy than a hamburger
Old 02-17-2005, 09:56 AM

Hey not nice to talk about doubly's this close to lunch time!!!! I AM STARVING!!!

Oh and I just wanted to know which gear to pull in, i'm guessing low range drive??

thanks what an interesting thread
Old 02-17-2005, 10:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
On RPM--

Someone who's VERY highly respected in the engine biz refers to RPM as Ruins People's Motors. Excusing the poor grammar, there is a valid point in there.

Don probably knows of whom I speak, as this man is also in the Metroplex and VERY secretive. Soft heads, anyone?

RPM is a substitute for Cubic Inches. HP is a function of how much fuel you can burn (as a rate). To a given fueling rate you have to have a certain airflow rate for it to burn. You can achieve CFM by either 1) increasing the cubic feet (engine displacement) or 2) reducing the -per minute part (increasing RPM).

There's never a need to turn 6K rpm in a forced turbodiesel, as least on paper. This, because you can double the airflow by raising boost instead of RPM. Obviously, the real world fact that your monster turbo might not even spool at 3K rpm would make this fall apart. But the point here is that no one in their right mind SEEKS high rpm-- it's a necessary evil brought about by real world limitations or sanctioning body rules.

With this in mind, consider the sick boost AND rpm levels run by the big dogs, and it suggests that they have a LOT of air moving thought the engine (and the smoke suggest even this amount leaves the overfueled).

As impressed as I am by the lengths some shops will go to in the name of big hp, I am equally as baffled as to why it is directed towards sled pulling. I mean-- SLED PULLING?? Who ever decided this was a fun thing to do, no less watch?

"Hey Bubba, wanna see if'n yer truck can pull this without breaking?"

"Uh-- yeah."

Sled pulling is the motor"sport" equivalent of "my dad can beat up your dad".

But I digress.

The point being that there's more than one way to skin the airflow cat.

jlh
Old 02-17-2005, 10:13 AM

have you ever seen 2 good size dads get into it, that is pure entertainment. just like sled pulling.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:28 AM

CHASSIS INERTIA 'DYNOS' ARE NOT DYNAMOMETERS since they don’t MEASURE torque. They are comparative machines nothing more. The 'HP' and torque they come up with is a joke of estimated calculations the likes of which Hillary Clinton would use while selling her socialized heath care program to the unsuspecting tax payers of this country......

Take a look here. There is some good info (and some not so good) about different dynos and how they compare. Just have to wade through some of the BS.

http://turbodieselregistry.com/forum...d.php?t=123151

(Mental note... Go the East watch some of those guys pull on the track. Dont forget to wear Kevlar incase one comes apart!!! )

Justin
Old 02-17-2005, 12:37 PM

Some interesting reading...

http://www.diesel-central.com/forums...d&TopicID=2723

Looks like someone is upset???

Justin
Old 02-17-2005, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Go easy Gentlmen.
This will not become a battle across multiple sites.

Rich
Old 02-17-2005, 01:53 PM
Banned

Can't we all just agree to disagree?
Old 02-17-2005, 01:53 PM

i love the threads like that one, sometimes people get a little wound up but they are still very good reading. the only reason for a high winding cummins, as in 4k plus is sled pulling. because you can't shift gears, and you need all the wheel speed you can get. so the high rpms come into play. now sled puller and kta do enjoy going back and forth with don. and i would drink a beer with any of them any time. hey i think they all like the arguing back and forth.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The multi-site thing reminds of a bunch of kids tattling on each other. It's sort of funny.

I applaud Don M~ for defending himself to the extent he has. I probably wouldn't even bother.

I would also like to see him explain the apparently contradictory statement he made re: rpm. I'm certain that he hasn't changed position-- just that he has different positions for different cases, which makes sense to me.

CONTEXT, CONTEXT.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by DieselDaze
Go easy Gentlmen.
This will not become a battle across multiple sites.

Rich
Battle on many fronts, except TDR...

I agree. To disagree. I guess we can leave it at that.

Justin

Quick Reply: OK, who's got the highest reving CTD?