Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Is this normal hard shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this normal hard shifting?

I went ahead and installed a Transgo shift kit a while back and drilled out the holes on the separator plate to make shifts firmer etc. Now the 3rd to 4th gear shift is real fast and hard. Much harder than all the other gears and it's more jolty than smooth. It's not like I'll spill my drink because the truck is so heavy that the weight keeps the force on the driveline components; thus, I feel like it's real hard on driveline components like u-joints, other internal tranny parts, etc. Is this ok in your opinion?
Old 11-06-2007, 12:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi
did mine and the shifts are firm in all gears , about the same firmness for all ?

my kit gave a size range for the holes and i drilled them app in the middle ?

what size did you use ?
Old 11-06-2007, 02:23 PM

Actually I think I drilled them to the max recommended by Transgo. I don't remember if I even went a little bigger. I got advice from a couple people who said it was ok to go big.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:26 AM

I had the same kit installed about a 1.5 yrs ago, 14000 miles, and its always done the same thing. Its only that last shift but i worry too about something breaking esp if i have a heavy load behind me. I never tried calling trans-go. I also have to update my solenoids with the transgo kit because it will often go into limp mode which is annoying. Luckily the code is reset with a simple restart of the engine!! Let us know if you get anymore info on this!!
Old 11-07-2007, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by WhoCares79
I had the same kit installed about a 1.5 yrs ago, 14000 miles, and its always done the same thing. Its only that last shift but i worry too about something breaking esp if i have a heavy load behind me. I never tried calling trans-go. I also have to update my solenoids with the transgo kit because it will often go into limp mode which is annoying. Luckily the code is reset with a simple restart of the engine!! Let us know if you get anymore info on this!!
Well at least I'm glad to hear that you've experienced the same thing with the same kit. That makes me believe there isn't anything wrong with my tranny. I thought it might be something else. As far as the life of drivetrain parts, I guess only time will tell. I suppose I could buy another separator plate and take the valvebody apart again. But I don't feel like taking it out again... ahh
Old 11-09-2007, 01:40 PM

Ok, I did a little thinking... I remember changing out the accumulator spring for the one that came with the Transgo kit. I believe this new spring is firmer, which also firms up the 3-4 shift. Maybe I should try swapping it out for the stock one and see what happens.