Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Next Mod???

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next Mod???

What do you guys think I should do next?? I would really like to get into the 13's with this truck. At 14.02, it is really close. I am looking (and reading) into either the smarty or water/meth injection. Which of these do you think would be better for my application. I still have stock headbolts and realize those may need to be updated with the w/m. Right now my boost max is at 38 psi with the edge jammer BB turbo.

I've read several "smarty" threads but am still unsure. Is there a definate increase in power with the smarty and comp stacked? Enough useable power to drop my 1/4 times by a couple of tenths, or is it more seat of the pants feel??

So what do you guys think, where would my money be best spent??

Thanks....Danny
Old 06-05-2006, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by oldmandan-1
I've read several "smarty" threads but am still unsure. Is there a definate increase in power with the smarty and comp stacked? Enough useable power to drop my 1/4 times by a couple of tenths, or is it more seat of the pants feel??

So what do you guys think, where would my money be best spent??
Thanks....Danny
I have no personal expirience, but have read a few with drag comps say Smarty really improved the low end acceleration.
Best bet to drop your ET would be a set of 265 tires, IMO.... and some more air!
I don't know your turbo. Does it burn cleanly at WOT? 38 psi does not sound very high for a Edge Comp & 155 hp injectors???

Also, for your HP...95 mph sounds low. Are your power breaking? Got Billet shafts? Maybe that's what you need next?
At 475 HP...I ran 14.02/102 mph without billet and only power breaking to 5 psi boost on the line ( I don't recommend this...only did it one time). That was with 285 tires!

RJ
Old 06-05-2006, 11:14 AM

Smarty and TST and you'll likely be really close to low 13's. Do you have billet shafts on your DTT trans? How high is you boost on your launches?
Old 06-05-2006, 11:38 AM

Burn clean??
No it pretty well smokes all the way down the track.

No I don't have billet shafts, everything else was put into tranny but billet shafts. I wasn't expecting to drag race, but since it runs so good, I just couldn't resist trying.

I have only run it 5 passes, I usually boost up to 5lb on line.

As far as top speed you were referring to, this truck takes a long time to shift from D to OD, so I'm coasting for a good distance..several hundred feet, I think that's the major hurt on top speed (and et for that matter).
Do you know of any quick D-OD shift tricks for this year truck. I have read about the "mystery switch" for the tc lockup and have tried that, but it doesn't speed up OD shift.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:56 AM

Which brings up another issue, my shifting problem almost seems like I get to around 2700 rpms in D, and it acts like it governs out, then takes a long time to shift. Do you think this is actually de-fueling from the comp box?? I read where the smarty allows full fueling up to 3500 rpms, and if I could run full fueling till then, I think it would shift harder and quicker.....Do you think the smarty would help this issue??
Old 06-05-2006, 11:56 AM

... this truck takes a long time to shift from D to OD, so I'm coasting for a good distance..several hundred feet, I think that's the major hurt on top speed (and et for that matter).
Not sure what you mean by "coasting" When I race 1/4 mile I lock out OD till about 2900 rpm. Hit the button at 2900 rpm and it shifts to OD about 3100 rpm. never take my foot out of it!

You may need a Smarty to do this...as it prevent defueling at high end (can't remember exactly what rpm). It will also prevent low end defueling if you happen to build too much boost at the line!

RJ
Old 06-05-2006, 12:06 PM

We were typing at same time

DRAG Comp upgrade...or Smarty will solve problem...which definately is defueling (now I know what you mean by coasting)!

RJ
Old 06-05-2006, 12:13 PM

No, I'm holding it wide open all the way! I leave mine in OD from the start and let it shift automatically. 1-2-D all shift hard and quick, but as I wind out in D, it seems like it just "floats or governs out". It kinda just coastes until it shifts then pulls hard again.

My 1/8 mile speeds have been 78.7 - 79.06mph. I am usually winding out in D just as I cross the 1/8
Old 06-05-2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tiger Rag
Smarty and TST and you'll likely be really close to low 13's. Do you have billet shafts on your DTT trans? How high is you boost on your launches?
Billet shafts will allow you to do 20 psi launches, improve your 60 ft time greatly and get you into the 13's if not more with other fueling enhancements mentioned above.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:31 PM

15PSI launch on the stock shaft

Replaced it with another stock shaft, didn't want to pay for billet.

Been launching it at 17PSI and havn't broke it again (Yet)

@ 17PSI my 60 FT is 1.912

Randy
Old 06-06-2006, 01:23 AM

13.4 isn't too shabby there Randy
Old 06-06-2006, 02:01 AM
Banned

Which brings up another issue, my shifting problem almost seems like I get to around 2700 rpms in D, and it acts like it governs out, then takes a long time to shift. Do you think this is actually de-fueling from the comp box?? I read where the smarty allows full fueling up to 3500 rpms, and if I could run full fueling till then, I think it would shift harder and quicker.....Do you think the smarty would help this issue??
you definetly need the DRAG box, i started with the comp box and after i upgrade to the DRAG version, there is no comparison between the 2. the DRAG actually fuels way harder right off the line and it fuels HARD the entire way. i experienced your coasting effect with the comp, with the DRAG you can kiss that goodbye, it pulls hard, you would really like it.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by inline6power
you definetly need the DRAG box, i started with the comp box and after i upgrade to the DRAG version, there is no comparison between the 2. the DRAG actually fuels way harder right off the line and it fuels HARD the entire way. i experienced your coasting effect with the comp, with the DRAG you can kiss that goodbye, it pulls hard, you would really like it.
Not saying your wrong but it is intesting, because when I called Edge to see about upgrading my Comp, the tech told me all the Drag upgrade did was remove the 2700 defuel and allow it pull harder on the top end. I asked him, "that's it?", he said that was it. I never did mine since I had the Smarty that already does this.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:16 AM

Thanks for all the responses, looks like I need to upgrade to the drag comp or go with the smarty.

Do you think the smarty/comp is a big advantage over the drag comp?
Old 06-06-2006, 11:32 AM

Do you think the smarty/comp is a big advantage over the drag comp?
Yes, I do!
Have also heard from many here....that the only difference in the Drag Comp is no top end defueling! Smarty will give you that...and the low end bump!

RJ

Quick Reply: Next Mod???