Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Newbie Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Help

First let me say that I'm lucky to have found this site as I have been reading everything I can and you guys sound like you know a thing or 2. Thank you in advance! I have had my truck for about 9 months and I love it. Since I was so slow out of the gate I started looking at websites to do upgrades. I have put a 4" turbo back exhaust with a flow through muffler, a k&n airbox, and the edge comp on so far. I would like to ask a question, as well as get feedback from all as to what I need to do...So here goes: I noticed a whistling sound when I put the K&N intake on. Assume that is an air sound. I really noticed a big diff with the exhaust system...When I put the comp on I was dissapointed as I thought it was gonna make my truck a real bad boy. What I noticed is the turbo spins up allot faster, more response and when I get into it I get nice smoke, but I dont see much diff when changing levels. I did hook up the fuel wire with the blue wire tap that came with it but the drawing was not clear to me and it is possible that I crimped to the wrong wire. I crimped to the upper most wire as described. Got No code errors....This is my first diesel and I do work on my own stuff so all input would be greatly appreciated...Again thanks and I look forward to learning much from you guys...

2000 dodge dually, auto,longbed ..I put my info in the bio but don't see it here...

Last edited by harleydnut; 11-06-2005 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Truck info does not show up
Old 11-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Banned

Welcome aboard!!! A couple of things, is your truck an auto or a stick? Do you have any gauges? What's your fuel pressure at at full throttle? An edge comp with the wire tapped on 5x5 will destroy any stock automatic or clutch. Have you had your codes pulled? Go to autozone and have them pull your codes. Those will help us in diagnosing your problem.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the welcome. I entered the bio info and it does not appear, must be a noob thang :-) My truck is a 2000 quadcab dually. Longbed auto trans. I didn't have any codes when I put the comp in. I tried all setting with the comp and nothing really appears to change. I don't have any gauges as of yet, only what I mentioned above...
Old 11-06-2005, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
An edge comp with the wire tapped on 5x5 will destroy any stock automatic or clutch.
Not always, mine is holding up with a drag comp and mach 1.75's. And I hear the stock 6 speed clutchs arre not as strong as the 5 speeds.I guess me and HOHN got lucky and got a stouter one! He's running M4' s and a VA.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the input caleb. As I asked eariler, not sure if I got it hooked up right. I don't see any maj diff with settings.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by harleydnut
Thanks for the welcome. I entered the bio info and it does not appear, must be a noob thang :-)
It's not the BIO that shows up under the posts, but the Signature.

Click "Quick Links", up on the blue line, and you'll see the "edit signature" link.
Fill the box in with the truck info and submit.

phox
Old 11-06-2005, 05:33 PM

Thankz phox...Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on my original questions?
Old 11-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Administrator

If you didn't notice a difference, then I'd say you either got the wrong wire, or don't have a good connection on the right wire.

phox
Old 11-06-2005, 05:41 PM
Banned

You might have grabbed the wrong wire. It's the top wire closest to the head.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:48 PM

I got the "top" wire, but it was more outboard. That is what confuses me. My top wire it not the closest to the engine, the one under it is. Also, any suggestions with my present setup? What is the recommended settings with the comp considering I have no gauges, no trans upgrades, and only my airbox and exhaust as upgrades?
Old 11-06-2005, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by harleydnut
What is the recommended settings with the comp considering I have no gauges, no trans upgrades, and only my airbox and exhaust as upgrades?
I think most if not all of us would recommend getting guages before even hooking up the comp.

phox
Old 11-06-2005, 05:59 PM
Registered

yeah get guages. the whistling your hearing is the turbo. a k&n air filter, in my opinion and many others, is one the the worst air filters you can put on a diesel. you might look into a BHAF or a scotty or somthing along those lines
Old 11-06-2005, 06:11 PM

So will the bhaf filter hook right up to the K&N setup, cause I like the plastic elbo better than the stock hose with all the crinkles...also, does anyone have advise on my comp wiring question and what should be my max setting until i can get gauges..which brings up the question of gauges, what is the best for the buck and what gauges do I really need asap?
Old 11-06-2005, 08:37 PM

I would say just run it on 1x1 and don't hold WOT for to long a period, Ok for short burst. After you get your gauges you'll see that the EGTs climb fairly quick. As far as what brand of gauges, I believe they all do a good job.

Gene007
WarWagon