Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

New truck, new hopes and dreams.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New truck, new hopes and dreams.

Well, I should be picking up my new truck tonight. A 91 3500 dually. 2wd, auto, 120k miles.

First things first. What should I do to it first? This is going to be drivin most likely 7 days a week, 5 days a week 60 miles a day empty. The 6th and 7th days it will be pulling a Large gooseneck trailer, with 2 jeeps on it (heavily modified ones at that!)

I'm fairly new to diesels, and a couple friends have 12 valvers that are bombed pretty decently.

I want to have the edge on them as far as pulling, but I also want to no hit every fueling station on the way to work every day.

Where should I start after I put the gauges in this weekend?

The truck already has a 5th wheel plate, trailer brakes, regular hitch, and a gooseneck ball in it. It's setup to tow, but the old people that I am buying it from only used it to pull their 5th wheel from michigan to Flordia at the begning and end of winter. The rest of the time that it was driven, it was unloaded, driven by older folks who bought it brand new.

Thanks a lot, this is a first post, i've been reading for a month or so now in anticipation of buying a CTD and now my dreams are starting to come true

The next step: Big dreams, big exhaust, and big hp/tq! THanks!
Old 01-10-2005, 12:59 PM

Intercooled or non?
I would changes the exhaust housing 150 bucks
air intake and filter - 100 bucks roughly
exhaust = 400 bucks roughly
injectors and pumps mods after that.

my next MOD will be an old smoky power pin for an extra 40 ponies on top of my ruff 225hp right now.

Everythign in my signiture has been a great start to waking up my truck. jiMMy
Old 01-10-2005, 08:58 PM

Well, looks as if i wont be picking it up untill tommorow after work, the guy didn't have everything ready with the title.

Nice pics Jimmy, SWEET FJ, got any more pictures of it online? I've got some pics of my CJ also, but have to get them online, as well as the pics of the new rig.

So far mods are going to be K&N filter, gauges, and 4" straight stacks (FREEBIES!!) I just have to get a dump tube, and run pipe to the stacks, no problemo, got the gauges already, EGT, Oil pressure, trans temp, boost and tach. Gotta pick p the K&N tommorow for it.

Keep the ideas coming fellas, thanks a lot!
Old 01-11-2005, 10:40 AM

Well, it's a non-intercooled truck SO Ithink I will be looking for an intercooler setup to put in it. I have read htat I wont need to woirry about the injectors, I've read that they flow nearly as much as 370's?! Is that correct?

Either way, the truck runs great, it needs brakes though

The stacks are going on tonight hopefully, as are the gauges and the filter. We'll see if that opens it up any more. Also, Im puting in a bigger tranny cooler becuase I dont want to have problems with tranny temps (Have a temp gauge to install also)

So far, i think im going to stick with my exhaust, intake, gauges, and see how it pulls. What should I do next? Intercooler? Turn up pump( I figure this would be a good idea being that im going to flow more air, so I may as well hose the fuel to her if I can) what else? I know this may be a typical newbie post but any replies are appreciated.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:07 PM

Well, if you get the gauges installed, and the Tranny is fine, the only thing holding you back will be EGT's. If i were you, I would turn up the pump, do the power pin, and the 3200rpm Governor Spring(its only like $10), and a 16cm turbo housing to help spoolup, and see how EGT's/boost are. It should pull really good like that, but dont know how EGT's will be. The only thing an intercooler will do is Keep EGT's lower, so unless your EGT's are high, i dont think you would need one, but eventually it will probably be a good idea.

Eric