Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

New Quadzilla High HP Box For 2nd Gen's??

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 12:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd expect that the Smarty is getting all the fuel the ECM can deliver, so wouldn't the current ECM with a Smarty obviate the need for an SO ECM?

If not, how come?
Old 05-30-2007, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HOHN
I'd expect that the Smarty is getting all the fuel the ECM can deliver, so wouldn't the current ECM with a Smarty obviate the need for an SO ECM?

If not, how come?
I would have thought so too, but it seems no. We all know the difference in the 2 pumps with plunger size and pressure. Well, the HO ECM sends a shorter electrical signal to the pump as it will flow just a hair more fuel in the same time. I am talking milaseconds here. So when you put an SO pump on with the HO ECM, the pump isn't seeing the longer signal it normaly would with the SO ECM. I tried running an SO ECM for a few days and my truck does fuel harder. I was seeing about 4-5psi more boost with no other changes than the ECM.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:47 AM
Chapter President

If this is the case, I'm sure Marco could cook up a special program.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rodram2002
I would have thought so too, but it seems no. We all know the difference in the 2 pumps with plunger size and pressure. Well, the HO ECM sends a shorter electrical signal to the pump as it will flow just a hair more fuel in the same time. I am talking milaseconds here. So when you put an SO pump on with the HO ECM, the pump isn't seeing the longer signal it normaly would with the SO ECM. I tried running an SO ECM for a few days and my truck does fuel harder. I was seeing about 4-5psi more boost with no other changes than the ECM.
You are actually talking more like microseconds.

I can see that if you have an SO pump with an HO ECM you might not get the full benefit if you are using a timing type module or Smarty or something like that.

I do not see how a wire tap module cannot supply as much fuel as you desire? The ECM has nothing to do with it once you take control over it. If you are on the pump wire you can go to 10x max fuel stretch at idle if you feel like it.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by qzilla
You are actually talking more like microseconds.

I can see that if you have an SO pump with an HO ECM you might not get the full benefit if you are using a timing type module or Smarty or something like that.

I do not see how a wire tap module cannot supply as much fuel as you desire? The ECM has nothing to do with it once you take control over it. If you are on the pump wire you can go to 10x max fuel stretch at idle if you feel like it.
I talked with TST about this and there box feeds off that signal to the injection pump from the ECM. So, the shorter the signal from the ECM the less from the TST. I have been talking to them abpout a defueling issue. Maybe your box can fix this problem for me.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:19 PM

That is a tuning issue. Not a limitation of the pump.

The only limitation of the pump is how much fuel it can physically move which is limited by the plunger.

What de-fueling issue are you having?

Maybe in the long run there needs to be different tunes for the HO and SO pumps in order to get every last little drop of power from them? I think the HO would require slightly more duration for the same amount of fuel?
Old 05-30-2007, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by qzilla
That is a tuning issue. Not a limitation of the pump.

The only limitation of the pump is how much fuel it can physically move which is limited by the plunger.

What de-fueling issue are you having?

Maybe in the long run there needs to be different tunes for the HO and SO pumps in order to get every last little drop of power from them? I think the HO would require slightly more duration for the same amount of fuel?
Tuning issue Yes.

with everything in my sig I will either defuel at 2700rpm with smarty off or on setting 3 and about 3100rpm with smarty on setting 9. I can run the TST on 0-9 and it will still defuel and when I say defuel I mean the engine flat falls on it's face.don't mind the TQ numbers, they didn't have the tach hooked up so it was off, but the graph is still correct with the HP.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:26 PM

Qzilla If I jumped an extra 5 volts to the map + to your box at idle will it start fueling ??? or does it need a signal to map - , I tried this with a TST and i got no responce
Old 05-30-2007, 10:30 PM
Banned

Holy moly. This is a very nasty box. Every bit as strong as a TST/Smarty stack. And I'm running the smarty on stock right now. It's so nasty in fact that with my fire hose injectors I can't cruise above level 1 because it starts to shutter the pump but as long as I keep accelerating it doesn't shutter. It also doesn't shutter when you back out of the throttle like the TST does. It's very heavy fueling. The bottom end is absolutely incredible. Massive amounts of low end. And the top end is every bit as much as the TST/Smarty. I can't wait to get this cruising issue worked out and really see what this box is like. EGT's on the higher levels rise slower than the TST/Smarty and boost is actually up about 4 psi over the TST/Smarty. I'm hitting 52psi and my gate is set at 48psi. With the TST/Smarty I hit 52psi but fall back to 48psi. Not with this box. It holds 52psi. I may have just found a new box for me to run.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:42 PM

WhoooHooo!! A new toy to play with, can't wait for some production...
Old 05-30-2007, 10:47 PM
Banned

Me either. If it's just as strong as the TST with no pump shudder I'm buying it.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it really fuel harder than Smarty low end? Please give a comparison. Sorry, but I'm just excited.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:55 PM

With a little more fine tuning, I'm in Qzilla!!!
Old 05-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Banned

Right now I'm running smarty stock and Quad on 2 and it's every bit as strong on the bottom end. Feels like the smarty on 5. This box is very very strong. Tomorrow I'll give it some more testing but for now all I can say is WOW.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:01 AM
KVD

Sounds great since I might drop down to a 2 gen truck, the insurance is killin me on this 4 door.

Quick Reply: New Quadzilla High HP Box For 2nd Gen's??