Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

A New Look With LED's

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:A New Look With LED's

[quote author=DF5152 link=board=7;threadid=21489;start=0#msg201477 date=1067136067]
where r u getting your light assemblies?
[/quote]

Not sure if this was directed at me, but I got mine off of ebay. 4 lights @ $8 a piece back when LEDs were still pretty expensive.

brandon.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:03 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been interested in this as well and just visited the sites mentioned. But how are you guys mounting these leds in??? I mean the "tail light housing" on our trucks, are you modifying them, or buying a new light housing? If you are buying the houseing, where do you get them?
thanks Curt 8)
Old 10-26-2003, 03:39 PM
Banned

The LED's I am talking about simply replace the lamp you have now. It would be the same process if you were to replace a burned out lamp. Only time you might have to consider something, is when going to a very large (bigger number of LED's) lamp assembly. Some cars have a little less room the others. The dually marker lights on the bed are all sealed units, they simply pop out (be carefull of older trucks, the plastic that holds them on, get britle and is very easy to break) the old ones, and replace with the new. And they are 12 LED not 10 like I wrote before. The tail and brake lights, just remove old lamp, put in new LED. Remember only replace them one at a time, when you varify that that one is working, then go to the next. I am not sure what it cost to do the truck, I am not getting into the dash lights, but I will do my guage lights. I would guess 200 for the truck? I don't know, when I am done I will give you a figure.
Old 10-26-2003, 04:55 PM

for those who are interested the blue lights are not DOT approved and you will get summonsed for using them. Its a pet peave of mine I issue them quite frequently.

Also the use of red on the front of the vehicle and white at the rear when the car is in a forward motiom is summonsable.
Old 10-26-2003, 05:17 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Dum-de-dum-dum
Dum-de-dum-dum-duuuuum

Old 10-26-2003, 10:34 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good one shovel!
Old 10-27-2003, 06:06 AM

Dan,

Your not going to ticket me on the Southern State Pky for having commercial plates are you?

Ron W.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:21 PM
Banned

Ok I had time to do all the LED's so here it is. You will need a load equalizer, go with the one for each side. It is best if installed behind the rear tail light , in it's mounting cavity. Also if you go withthe 19-LED lights for the rear, Which I recomend fo there light, you will have to use a half round file and take just a touch off, were the light plugs in. Nothing bad, less then 1 min per lamp, it just needs a slight bit more room. Everything else is just a simple swap. When you get the load equalizers make shure you get the aluminum bodied ones, you will only need two.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:03 PM

[quote author=rjweiss link=board=7;threadid=21489;start=15#msg201950 date=1067256362]
Dan,

Your not going to ticket me on the Southern State Pky for having commercial plates are you?

Ron W.
[/quote]

I dont patrol there but you should be fine...I'll get you on sunrise on the way to the southern state...just kidding
Old 10-27-2003, 09:02 PM

I found out the hard way that you get what you pay for- there are some pretty edgy LEDs out there. These may seem expensive www.ledtronics.com but read up on them and you will see why. I only have the turn-brake-tails (1157) but they sure look cool 8) Jim
Old 10-27-2003, 10:34 PM

I have a 2003 Ram (see below), which LED 1157 would you
recommend for the front turn signal locations. I noticed there
is a reflector in front of the bulbs in the 2003 Rams. Will these
clear the reflectors?

Thank you
Old 10-28-2003, 10:15 AM

<flame on>
>
If cops would spend as much time ticketing drivers for not giving turn signals or having lights that don't work (Ford brake lights) as they spend for ticketing drivers for the "color" of their lights the highways would be safer.

<flame off>
>
Old 10-28-2003, 11:22 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Become a cop, then talk.

Otherwise, obey the law and you don't have a problem. There are REASONS why lights have to be certain colors....SAFETY being the primary one.

Old 10-28-2003, 11:28 AM
Banned

[quote author=Hoss link=board=7;threadid=21489;start=15#msg202577 date=1067361774]
Become a cop, then talk.

Otherwise, obey the law and you don't have a problem. There are REASONS why lights have to be certain colors....SAFETY being the primary one.

[/quote]

What about the law concerning licensce plate trim pieces? Is there a reason for that one? A GOOD reason?
Old 10-28-2003, 11:39 AM
Banned

Yes sir officer, I'll be a good littl eboy, no probalem.

guess kidding, grab a coffee and a donut and relax.

On the dodge 03 I would go for the 19-LED lamp in amber for the front turn signal. I like to get as much light as possible. That ,after all was the main reson for the LED conversion. I can imagine there are alot of folks that are selling inferior products, it is like anything else, you have to do your homework, and hope for the best. Last night I took my wife outside to show her the new lights at night. She thought they looked great, and wanted to know when I was going to get to her car. It is suppose to get to the 70's this weekend, so I'll work on that then. I still have a few tricks let for the Dodge, I am putting in the Windshield washer nossels that have built in LED's, and I have been working on a giant "C" that might find it's way to the grill?

Quick Reply: A New Look With LED's