Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

which new chip

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which new chip

My truck was running poorly so i started trouble shooting found that my EZ was causing the issue. Sent it into Edge sure enough they tested it and it failed. They can not fix it though because it was an early one so it is covered in apoxy. Now they will sell me a new EZ for $300 or give me credit on other products.

Now here is the question should i go with another EZ or should i get something else? I dont want a power demon i want the truck drivable and reliable. I also dont want to tap the VP.

THe only other chip out there that i know anything about is the XZT+, i like the idea of having a high idle.

Alright so what should i be looking at?

Thanks ROB
Old 12-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The XZT+ is alot stronger than a EZ. I would get the XZT+ for sure. I have one for sale, but I think it only fits 98.5-00 trucks, don't think it would work.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:22 PM

Come on guys i am sure you all got some opinions you want to voice, pros and cons. How bout TST or edge comp or bullydog stuff?
Old 12-11-2007, 09:09 AM

Bump, sorry just moving to the front.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:30 AM

why dont you want to wire tap the pump?
Old 12-11-2007, 11:15 AM

Well what I've been seeing and hearing, Bully Dog is going to be the way to go. I'm selling my edge juice with attitude for the Bully Dog Torque Dog. My PCM gave out partly due to the Edge. The edge is currently off the truck as of last night! Just ordered a new Bully Dog today! Saved quite a bit too!
Old 12-11-2007, 01:09 PM

I want to be able to strip everything off the truck and have no signs of modification. Also i dont want to endager my VP44 anymore then normal wear and tear.

Jordan why are you going to bullydog?
Old 12-11-2007, 04:18 PM

Well my mechanic and some other guys know really well how the Dodges are wired and all the electronics work, over the years he said Bully Dog has really perfected it's chips to blend super well with the Dodge electronics. And there it's not tapped into so many things as the edge is. He said same thing for Ford, but it's Superchips with them, they've really got it perfected. And supposedly the power gains are a lot more noticable and it really gives all it says and sometimes a little more as I've seen before. That's the reason for the switch to Bully Dog. Just ordered it, it'll be in...in a few days.

Also, I think the Smarty supposedly is advertised to be undetectable when you send it in to the dealer. I've heard that before and seen it advertised. I'm sure someone else will say something about it too. I'm pretty sure all it plugs into is under the dash and that's it.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:36 PM

I have never heard of an Edge product taking out a PCM. Or any other product for that matter.

I would like to know how that could be caused. Not trying to be a naysayer, just looking for info if that really was the case.

PCM failures are not uncommon. That would have me baffled.

IIRC, It was Bullydog that issues with fried ECMs in 3rd gens. But I may be wrong on the particulars.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:36 PM

I would go with the xzt+ if you don't wanna tap the pump. I've been hearing good things about it. I think your only other option, if you don't wanna go with another edge ez would be the smarty, or something from bully dog. You could buy an edge comp, juice w/attitude, or tst powermax, and run it without tapping the pump wire, but then your basically just wasting money.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:36 PM

Well it wasn't just the Edge, but the edge pushed it over the limit and that's why it gave. But part of it was from the tranny getting to a flash point, it messed up the factory temp sensor on it when it was trying to send the info to the PCM, the edge overrides some of it. So the PCM then kicked the truck into limp mode and that's when that PCM went. They checked and ran tests on everything after the tranny was rebuilt and said it all led back to the PCM. But the Edge didn't help cause the info coming into the PCM actually gets replaced by running through the edge, so everytime the PCM was trying to gather info the edge kinda shuts it down, disables it a little I guess. Also, the current running through the wires on the truck and then unplugging and plugging in something else tweaks that current on how Dodge setup the electronics, and that doesn't blend well either. I know in theory it all should, but that's what goes on. Some of us have great luck and some not really lol lol.

Yeah, I've heard one or two 3rd gens that had that happen to, and one when it was plugged in didn't program it right, supposedly one of the units asks if it's and auto or standard and some other stuff that you have to get right in there. That one guy did fry his cause he had and auto and put standard wanting to see what would happen lol, he did a few other things too though.

Also, supposedly, these Dodges are kinda bad about loosing some stuff in the PCM's and ECM's so they have to be re-flashed or replaced...so I've heard. But the edge wasn't the main factor in mine going out.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:44 PM

I have a bully dog torque dog setting in my back seat in the box if any one is looking to buy one.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the information, i am reading about bullydog right now. I think i am still leaning towards the XZT+ since it will hook into my commander and has the high idle. It is right now 19* a high idle would be nice.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:26 PM

The automatic high idle is so sweet. Go for the Quadzilla, you can't beat the multiple programs and customer support!!!
Old 12-12-2007, 01:51 PM

XZT+ is what i am still leaning towards. However anyone got real good reviews on something else.

Quick Reply: which new chip