Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

new to the board with a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to the board with a few questions.

This question might have been asked before but I'm new and haven't really gone back to previous post'. Sooo.... My question is, Edge Ez or Diablo Power Puck? If I'm correct they both plug in the same way and put out the same amount of horsepower (65) but the torque is whats different Edge(185) and the Puck (190). Looking at some prices it looks like the Puck is cheaper. So far the cheapest I've found the Ez is about $470.00 and the Puck about $418.00. I've talked to a few local guys running both boxes and they both love them. If this matters it's a 02 3500 with an Auto. So, can you guys help me? Thanks Chris
Old 09-08-2003, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:new to the board with a few questions.

I have had the puck before and was very pleased with it on the 01 i had. have not run with the ez but a roper here has the puck also and is very pleased with it also.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:27 PM
LE

I started out with the EZ and within 2 months had bought a Comp. There is just so much more versatility with the Comp, being able to adjust the fueling while towing. It can be optimized on the fly, and the control that is available with the Comp is amazing. We do primarily Edge products, and have been very happy with them. I have no negative comments regarding the Diablo, but have not had the chance to install / play with one yet. I do know the Superchips Dieseltuner does not have the grunt / torque of an EZ. It is rated at 80HP on the highest setting, and will not touch the EZ. I am sure somebody that has had both will chime in sooner or later. LE
Old 09-08-2003, 09:38 PM

Hello
I am running a Edge EZ in a 99 and in a 01 HO and am really pleased with both trucks. With the HP about the same what are the torque numbers?? I gained 158 foot pound torque in my 01 with the EZ. HP is nice but it is the torque that gets you over the hill faster.
I am very happy with the performance from the Edge EZ. You may want to concider going with the Edge Comp box. It works like a EZ until you pierce the pump wire then it becomes a fueling box as well..
Hope this helps
See Ya
Chris
Old 09-08-2003, 09:40 PM

Got my puck for 400 bucks in Portland Oregon (no sales tax) -but have not pulled the trailer yet--Glenn
Old 09-08-2003, 09:47 PM

Have had a few pucks would get an edge ez or an edge comp over the puck however. Ez has boost control via the pin the puck does not. The comp adds 60 more ponies when the wire is tapped and incab adjust.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:29 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. The tranny is stock and as far as what I've read the comp is too much for the stock auto....? Correct me if I'm wrong, But, the Ez and Puck are ok as long as you watch trans temps while towing. Like I said I'm new to the board and I'm still new to the Cummins world, but what is the boost control feature on the edge? How do you adjust it? The truck has 4.10's and we pull around an older D2 cat, the truck has plenty of power now but would just like more(but we dont need an extra 400ft pounds of torque) . Thanks
Old 09-08-2003, 11:13 PM

Get the comp.... run it as an ez. Someday you WILL want more and at least you won't be trying to sell an EZ!

my .02

James
Old 09-09-2003, 07:10 AM

You can still have the comp but you do not hook up the pump wire then it acts like an EZ but gives you incab adjustability.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:24 AM

[quote author=Chris_O link=board=7;threadid=19412;start=0#msg182305 date=1063078192]
the truck has plenty of power now but would just like more(but we dont need an extra 400ft pounds of torque) . Thanks
[/quote]

Sure ya do, you just haven't realized it yet

I set up a neighbor's 98.5 5spd with 275s and an EZ. He doesn't play with it, just uses the power with his camper and boat attached . He liiiiiikes it. For those who expect there is the slightest possibility of wanting more in the future, and enjoy adjusting and playing, an adjustable in cab box is the only way to go.

So, do you set it and leave it, or enjoy changing things? Is there any chance you'll want/need more in the future?
Old 09-09-2003, 11:28 AM

I run the Puck and love it !!!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2003, 06:01 PM

OlBlue, There is always the chance of wanting more later, but looking at some prices of the comp it's a little more than I wan't to spend now. Plus the tranny is stock and the truck only has about 7000 miles on it. We really don't want to have to do anything to the tranny this fast. I could see getting the comp if we were planing on upgrading the tranny, but. I'm kind of leaning twards the Puck. I was hoping someone had used both on the same truck to compare them a little better. Looking at some of the replies people seem to love them both. I noticed you live in Moscow, I'm in Nampa. Not too close, but in the same state anyways. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:15 PM

Chris not sure you understan the COMP will make the same power as the EZ or the puck with the pump wire left off. The COMP in EZ mode makes the 60 HP or whatever it is. The reason I SUGGEST it HIGHLY is that when you do upgrades down the road (YOU WILL) the COMP gives you INCAB adjust to make it easier to control smoke the EZ and the PUCK do not. I have had all 3 and I would go straight to the COMP that will save you money later when you are tring to sell you EZ or PUCK for one!
Old 09-09-2003, 09:49 PM

Jamie, I did some price checking. This morning the cheapest I could find the comp was for like $750. This scared me at first. So, I looked this afternoon and found it for $608 at http://www.ssd4u.com/streetsmart_029.htm. Do you know of a place that sells it any cheaper? How is it for installation? Does it hook up like the EZ but with another wire? Do you just run the wires thru another hole in the firewall? Could you also tell me anything else about it that I might like to know? Thanks
Old 09-10-2003, 08:51 AM

[quote author=Chris_O link=board=7;threadid=19412;start=0#msg182843 date=1063162152]
Jamie, I did some price checking. This morning the cheapest I could find the comp was for like $750. This scared me at first. So, I looked this afternoon and found it for $608 at http://www.ssd4u.com/streetsmart_029.htm. Do you know of a place that sells it any cheaper? How is it for installation? Does it hook up like the EZ but with another wire? Do you just run the wires thru another hole in the firewall? Could you also tell me anything else about it that I might like to know? Thanks
[/quote]

Chris Contact www.wildcatdiesel.com they are great and have excellent prices. Trust me Chris you will appreciate the comp later I promise its worth the extra loot. It hooks up exactly like an EZ except it has a wire which provides info to the VP44 PUMP if you leave this wire off it acts like an EZ if you hook it up you get an additional 60HP or so over the EZ but loose your warranty :'( As for the wires yes there is a harness that unplugs from the box you route the wires through a grommet in the fire wall and plug the box in. As for info you may like here goes

The EZ hooks up under the hood in the same spots as the comp but stays under the hood. So if you say need to adjust smoke you have to take the back off it and move a jumper pin. The comp all you do it puch a button on the box mounted to your knee bolster and away you go no messing with anything and do it on the fly while driving.

Onto the PUCK which I have had 3 of in our shop trucks. They work well there is no denying that but I don't think they have a boost fooler actully Im pretty sure first off with that say you change injectors your SOL no you need an EZ or a comp. You cannot adjust the smoke on a puck like the comp or ez either they say u can with software however i have never seen a public release.

Chris straight off wildcats site Power Edge Comp $610.00 american.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: new to the board with a few questions.