Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

need advise on shocks/steering stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need advise on shocks/steering stabilizer

my truck needs new front shocks & a new steering stabilizer shock. my ? is what kind of each to buy & where's the cheapest place to get them?? also I plan on getting new skyjacker D25 coils pretty soon is there any particular shock that works well/better w/ the new coils?? thanks, Dusty
Old 11-30-2002, 09:23 PM

Re:need advise on shocks/steering stabilizer

I am running Rancho RS9000's & a RS5000 stabilizer shock. All seem to work well. They are a little pricey (the 9000's) but are supposed to last. The only other I've ever heard was worth the money was Bilsteins.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:55 AM

Dusty,<br> I'm running the RS9000X's at the four corners. They are better than stock (that's not saying much) but what I don't like about them is they rattle (almost sounds like there loose) quite a bit. I've tightened them as much as possible and it still rattles. There was some posts on this board where other people had the same probem with the Rancho's. Don't know if there is a fix or not. Other than that, I'm sold on the RS9000X's. I have heard good things about the Bilsteins (good ride, no rattle). Maybe after the Rancho's are gone, I'll try the Bilsteins. <br> Big dawg
Old 12-01-2002, 12:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The reason why your shocks rattle is that the stock bolts have a small sholder on them, and after market shocks the eyes are little larger eg { metric vs standed } Use a larger diameter bolt, sorry can't remember the size its been a while since I change mine.<br>
Old 12-01-2002, 03:00 PM

This might be a little controversial, but I'm going to try the Edelbrock IAS shocks. They have the biggest piston of any shocks I've seen- 46mm (1.81 inches). I agree with the theory behind the inertia active valve. There are actually different shocks for 1/2, 3/4, and 1t, depending on engine. Unlike some manufacturers that claim to have individual valving for different applications then just list the same parts for all Rams in certain years. I'd be surprised if they don't work just like claimed, everything else I have ever bought from them did (they make an excellent carb for Harleys).<br><br>The shocks are rather pricey, but I shopped around and found a bit of a deal. I guess in a couple of weeks, I'll know more about it.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:36 PM
j

just traded my 9000's for edelbrock's on my wifes grand cherokee. they're a little pricey, but they work better than the 9000's as far as quality of ride. they really do live up to thier claim of self adjusting. i still like the 9000's but gave a bit too much body roll when on a low setting and rode too stiff when they were set a little higher to get rid of the body roll. if you get the in cab remote they would be a good choice, but i;m sold on the edelbrock's
Old 12-01-2002, 06:55 PM

I'm probably gonna go with the Rancho's, not sure which ones yet, probably whatever is cheapest, I don't pay much attention to the ride, but my factory shocks are shot, I've got way too much body roll for my liking. &amp; I'm pretty sure the steering stabilizer shock is the original one too, it's ready for the scrap heap also. thanks for the replies. Dusty
Old 12-01-2002, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the Edelbrocks on my 1500, and here in about 10,000 miles or so when the factory shocks on this truck die, I'll be putting them on it, too. They made a huge difference in the ride and control on that truck, well worth the money.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:13 PM

I have Skyjackers all the way around (quad shocks on front), also a dual steering stabilizer. They been on for a year and a half and I have zero complaints, nice ride and handling.<br><br>Later, Rob