Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Mt first Ferd kill!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 01:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Mt first Ferd kill!!

I got my first PSD kill today!

A couple of days ago I had a newer Chevy Silverado gasser challenge me when taking off from a hi-way intersection west of Sapulpa, OK on my way to work. I guess he must have seen the Cummins Power emblem I put on the right side of the tailgate and thought he'd try to get me to play. I must admit, even though this appeared to be a stock pickem-up, judging from the small single exhaust pipe, it did seem to run pretty well. But, since it wasn't a diesel, and being the nice guy I am plus having confidence I could take him if I wanted, I decided to let him go without an answer to his challenge.

Well, this morning I had another pickup challenge me at the same intersection. This time it was a pretty new, 2003-2004, Ford Super Duty PSD and automatic transmission the Ford guys think is so hot. He did the same thing as the Chevy guy did when he pulled up to the intersection; he laid back about half a truck length from me. When the light turned green I saw him jump forward pretty quick like he thought he would get in front of me before the lanes converged from two to one. Once I noticed him take off like that I thought “I’m going to show this guy what a Dodge/Cummins can do to a Ford”, so I floored it and started running against him. He had about a half-truck length on me from the quick start he pulled but once I started running hard I immediately started overtaking him. I kept pulling ahead of him until I was well over a full length ahead and going about 70. By then the lanes converged and I pulled in front of him and slowed down to a legal 65. I’ll bet he was surprised that an old Dodge could do that to his new Ford, and one with a manual tranny to boot. Sure put a smile on my face. When I emailed my wife to share the moment with her she asked me if I got a look at the other guy as I passed him. I said not really; I was concentrating on the road, the engine RPMs and such. I wish I had though; would have been the icing on the cake.

He stayed on my tail for a little while then backed off to a more reasonable distance until he got to his turn off about 2-3 miles from where we "engaged". I’d bet he doesn’t say anything about this to anyone unless someone else he knows saw it and mentions it, at which point I’d bet he says something like I wasn’t really trying or I had some bad gas or some other excuse.

Anyway, it was fun to do and I enjoyed the results so I thought I’d share it with you. Hope your day is as good as mine started.

Steve
Old 05-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Education is the first step to recovery...

Nice job..
Old 05-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet kill.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:15 PM

Nice! It feels good, don't it?
Old 05-06-2005, 12:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, it did feel good. Does anyone else get this impression? Wherever I am I'm always checking the vehicles in the nearby traffic so I know what's happening around me. I also try to look inside to see the driver's face to see if he's noticing I'm there or not - something I practiced diligently when I rode my H-D Sportser several years ago - as i't helped me avoid more accidents than I can remember over time. Anyway, I don't know if it's my imagination or not but it seems sometimes when I do this and I see a Ford PSD and check the driver's face and they see me in my Dodge CTD some of them seem to have a look of arrogance, like they're out to impress people with their big ole PSD. I kind of wondered if the owner of the Ford I spanked had that same kind of attitude and if so, then I'd like to think that, as Lil Dog said, I helped him with his first step to recovery with a little education .

On another topic, one of these days I'd also like to dyno my truck just to get a baseline of what power it's producing with the current setup. The reason being, while my truck is substantially quicker and faster than it was stock, I wonder what the real output is cause I've read the stock clutch isn't really built to handle the full rated power of a 10 plate which is essentially what I've ground my stock plate into, yet so far at least my clutch isn't slipping any, even after a run like I had with the PSD. I'm guessing it's making maybe 300 HP and maybe 650-700 torque since I have my plate set in the same location it was when stock. I don't want to slide it forward just yet cause I still have to get a better exhaust installed, plus I can't really afford to plunk down the money for a new clutch that would handle the increased power sliding the plate forward would produce. Regardless, it had enough to whoop up on that particular PSD and I'm still smiling about it.

Steve
Old 05-06-2005, 03:53 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the clutch is holding your in the 700 ft-lbs and under catagory (as am I). I have my #10 slightly back from stock to keep the clutch holding in 5th gear, about 0.020".

A 0.010 difference in grind on your plate can make a difference of around 10 hp typically.

I think your guess on power is pretty close.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:44 PM

A guy has to have a little fun once in a while , especially with a Ford
Vulcan
Old 05-07-2005, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by Rockyhud
Regardless, it had enough to whoop up on that particular PSD and I'm still smiling about it.

Steve
Good kill Steve

But if you are ever out East, come look me up I have a feeling it would be slightly different!!

Don't worry, I get as big a kick out of Killing a fellow PSD as I do a Cummins!