Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Most Important Guages

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 10:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Most Important Guages

Hi
I'm going to get a 3 gauges. One is FUEL pressure. If you had to choose, which other TWO MOST IMPORTANT gauges would you get?

They're all 'electronic ...((unless someone wants to recommend otherwise)).

Also considering the EDGE INSIGHT (4inch screen)...but not sure. Price is an issue, so not likely to go with the INSIGHT since I'll need the other accessories to truly monitor fuel and other sensors.

Dan
Old 08-09-2014, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
with my edge I have 4 gauges on the screen. I monitor tranny temp, turbo boost, egt's, as well as fuel pressure. If you trust your transmission is fine, then my opinion would be boost and pyro.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:56 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Fuel pressure, EGT, and transmission temperature are pretty much mandatory. Boost not so much so as the ECM (and chip if installed) limits boost by cutting back fuel. Boost is a good indicator of engine health though.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:10 PM

Ok--thanks guys!

Last question--what are good, SAFE "between" range / readings I should look for on these gauges?
FUEL: believe psi should be between 8-14 (maybe +- a few points)
BOOST: ? ?
TRANSMISSION: ? ?
EGT: ? ?
TEMP: ? ?
OIL: ? ?

THANKS AGAIN!
Old 08-10-2014, 11:24 AM

Fuel; 7psi is bare minimum at WOT, 10+ is better.
EGT; 1250° sustained is Cummins' limit. You can run higher for brief moments, but those moments get shorter the higher the temperature.
Transmission; 230-270° is the danger zone, do not sustain it for long. Change your fluid more often if you do.
Oil pressure; 10psi at idle, 65psi max.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:40 AM

Woa! I just looked at that Edge Insight for the first time. That looks pretty sweet. To me, that seems the better option than individual guages since you can have many more functions than guages, plus reduced footprint. For those that have one of these, what all will it display w/o add'l probes and such?
Old 08-10-2014, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by 44Bisley
Woa! I just looked at that Edge Insight for the first time. That looks pretty sweet. ... For those that have one of these, what all will it display w/o add'l probes and such?
I checked further. Need more than just the display piece...to monitor fuel and other systems, you'll need to buy either the individual sensor, or full package (INSIGHT w/Attitude). I found for about $850-ish.... too pricey for me. (especially with just a 1yr warrantee). I had the old "Quadzilla Commander" monitor system several years ago, but I busted the wire connectors accidentally...and now they're out of business...
Old 08-10-2014, 11:55 AM

Will it display trans temp and boost via the OBD? I see you need a separate EGT probe, but that's about all I want at this time.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by cougar
Fuel; 7psi is bare minimum at WOT, 10+ is better.
EGT; 1250° sustained is Cummins' limit. You can run higher for brief moments, but those moments get shorter the higher the temperature.
Transmission; 230-270° is the danger zone, do not sustain it for long. Change your fluid more often if you do.
Oil pressure; 10psi at idle, 65psi max.
Perfect--thanks!
Ordered the MaxTow 3-gauge package from GlowShift. Fuel, EGT, Trans, pod (with sensors): $315.; http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/maxto...e-package.aspx
Old 08-10-2014, 02:52 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Google that gauge manufacture before you install. You may not be happy with the opinions you read. Quality is just as important as having the gauge itself since there's no point in a gauge which you cant trust. It would be like having a calculator which cant add correctly.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by KATOOM
Google that gauge manufacture before you install. You may not be happy with the opinions you read. Quality is just as important as having the gauge itself since there's no point in a gauge which you cant trust. It would be like having a calculator which cant add correctly.
...I noticed one person on youtube who was dissatisfied... Mind pointing me directly to what you're referencing ?
Old 08-10-2014, 05:46 PM

Just Google random searches like "Glowshift problems" https://www.google.com/search?q=glowshift+problems&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb or anything pertaining to Glowshift gauges and you'll find plenty of forums discussing them. If you're a member of other diesel/Cummins forums then search within those forums for answers.

I'm clearly NOT trying to make up your mind for you which is why I'm not pertaining to anything specific.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:40 AM

The same can be said for any manufacturer, especially one just starting out and trying to perfect it's product. I have and do use both Gloshift and Autometer gages and have the same issues with both,,,,ZERO.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by cougar
The same can be said for any manufacturer, especially one just starting out and trying to perfect it's product. I have and do use both Gloshift and Autometer gages and have the same issues with both,,,,ZERO.
Not necessarily. When Autometer was introduced they were always top notch, and still are. And in regards to establishment, its sometimes wise to stay with the "tried and true" companies instead of being the consumer guinea pig. It seems that smaller less advanced businesses spend less on R&D. Thats not to say that you CANT have problems with the more renown brands either but that its just less likely.

Again.....I'm not trying to force anything but merely suggesting that research is important here. In respect to that, I'd be unhappy if I let members know I planned on purchasing or installing something and no one stood up to forewarn or give some insight from experience. Isnt that what these forums are for?
Old 08-11-2014, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by dubc2323
with my edge I have 4 gauges on the screen. I monitor tranny temp, turbo boost, egt's, as well as fuel pressure. If you trust your transmission is fine, then my opinion would be boost and pyro.
Beyond a separate probe for the EGT, does the Edge pick up the rest of the data via the ECM? Meaning, do you have to install any other probes for the other items you are monitoring? I have tried to find this out via the mfg website and other sources, but so far have come up short. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Most Important Guages