Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

More glowshift problems....

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More glowshift problems....

About a year ago I purchased a set of GS guages, Fuel, EGT, and Boost. EGT and Boost have worked fine, my fuel guage has been nothing but problems. Currently GS has sent me a total of 6 new fuel sending units, 3 different style snubbers, and I am on my 3rd actual guage. This has all been over the course of about 9 months. The last fuel sending unit they told me would "fix" the issues due to the VP-44 pressure spikes, and they also sent out a new style piston snubber that they said would help resolve my issue. The last combo of snubber and sending unit worked great for about 4-5 months, and then on my way home from a 2 hour trip this past weekend went crazy and started reading max fuel pressure (30 psi on this guage) which I have learned from the past that means the sending unit is not communicating with the guage. I have called GS, and they have always been polite and helpful on the phone but I am at the point where I really am sick of fooling with guages. This past time I contacted the technician and asked to speak to a manager. When speaking with the manager he informed me at first that the dirty fuel in the US is what is killing the sending units, and then he said my problem is that I own a dodge. My current feelings are that I want to get rid of all of their guages and get a set that works, and matches. I have never had so many issues with a faulty product in my life. I asked if others were having the same issues and he told me numerous people are. Autometer and issipro don't seem to have these issues and they are electric guages.....His reply was that they are having just as many issues with the VP-44 destroying these electric sending units. I call BS on that, I know many happy customers that have had trucks for years and have had little or no issues with their fuel pressure guage. Autometer does make a mechanical guage and although it is not recomended to be mounted inside the vehicle I would not have guages that were not mounted in the vehicle where they could be monitored or where they could be stolen if mounted outside the windshield as the technician at autometer suggested. If someone is looking into guages, I seriously would NOT buy glowshift. I can't say their customer service is bad because they have been good to send me replacement parts but you get to a point when it doesn't matter how good the customer service is if the product is just plain horrible and cannot be made to work. Keep in mind, my truck is not a racing or pulling truck, my fuel pump is a Fuel Boss mechanical pump, and other than K&N air filter, exhaust, and mild injectors my truck is stock.....so I'm not putting anymore demands on these sending units than any other daily driven vehicle would. Autometer said it would be very difficult to mount a mechanical fuel guage in a pillar mount due to the 4AN braided SS fuel line, but my question is this, can it be done or has anyone been able to do it with any luck and it not looking all goofy? If I would have been paid even minumum wage for all the hours I have spent dealing with faulty GS crap I would be well over $1000.00 bucks right now and I'm to the point of just cutting my losses and getting another set of guages.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why hard to mount a mechanical gauge on the pillar..
If my truck wasn't in the shop I take a picture of my GS gauges mount on the pillar..yes the fuel pressure is mechanical. its they're vacuum/boost gauge in fact..been using it for 2-3 yrs mounted on the pillar after the electric died..just out of warranty..VP44 spikes..
I just got a new sensor that I'm mounting on the AirDog sensor line.

-dkenny
Old 04-20-2014, 10:53 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Anyone know the cause of these pressure spikes? I also have a Glow Shift fp gauge, except I got the 100psi version. I am also using .020" restricter orifice.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:58 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Back when my trucks were new and forums like this didn't exist I tried several brands of electric FP gauges, they all eventually failed.
What's even worse about the electric gauges is they can lie to you making you think your FP is OK when it really isn't.
Finally went with a mechanical gauge with a needle valve closed almost all the way for a pressure snubber, no isolator. Those gauges have held up for over 15 years, no problems, no leaks.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:49 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
An uncalibrated gauge is as good as no gauge.
Even mechanical gauges can lie to you, especially over time and guaranteed if over pressured. The bordon tube or diaphragm work hardens over time giving you a decreasing reading. If you over pressure it, it changes the shape of the tube or diaphragm giving a random and non linear reading. Any gauge out of the box, electric or mechanical may not be accurate. That is why I check all of my gauges against know calibrated ones before I install them and periodically recheck them. Just a habit of my line of work.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glow shift has agreed to give me a full refund on all 3 guages and everything in the kit. I just wish their products were as great as their customer service has been.