Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Mojave Green TC and DTT tranny internals

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Justin:
I read the posts on TDR, very cool things you are capable of doing. When your newly designed converter locks up very hard as you stated, is that not hard on the rest of the drivetrain ? Wouldnt it be better on components to apply torque smoothly? Thanks
Old 11-30-2004, 09:40 PM

This is a very interesting thread. How hard is it to put in some new clutches. Im planning on a better Torque Converter pretty soon, but i would also like to put in new clutches too if its at all possible for me to do, and they arent too expensive. I have a question about the mojave green TC. If you take the truck and mash it to the floor with the EZ on, what do RPM's go to? A guy i know has a 01 set up about like that with a Dayco(spelling?) torque converter, and when he puts it on the floor it goes to about 2800rpm's and stays there until lockup. Does this sound about right for an aftermarket converter? Im seriously thinking about getting one from a guy that has a billet cover. He has one that has been in his truck for probably 5-8k miles,and is switching to an ATS converter. This converter works fine with no shuddering. Do you think it would be ok? He sasy it never slipped or anything on him, and i think i can get a pretty good deal on it. Thanks

Eric
Old 12-01-2004, 01:15 AM
Banned

Originally posted by justinp20012500
I went from an old single disk suncoast to that multi disk.
What did you do with the suncoast? I need a good used one right now... Let me know if you have a converter available..
Old 12-01-2004, 02:02 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
dodgeman01: The factory service manual will have complete rebuild instructions for the autos and the stickshifts. The manual is written for mechanics, not as a step by step instruction. But there are lots of pictures I think that's the 99US$ that gave me the biggest benefit $ for $ on my truck.
cumminsdriver: Going for more torque input will make you need more than just new frictions. I'd say that eg the master kit from DTT is great to work with. (Seals, o-rings and stuff like that, plus the upgrade for the front clutch and the front band...)

HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 12-19-2004, 12:23 AM

How is the converter holding out? How high do the rpm's go to if you mash it on the matt? Also, if you dont mind telling, what did the converter run you/him? How hard is it to install the seals, and clutches? I would like to do this but i dont know. Also how much is the DTT kit with new seals/clutches if you know? Thanks.

Eric
Old 12-19-2004, 05:00 AM

Well, didn't have too much contact after the install, but it seems rather fine.
About seals and clutches etc: I'd say that to get what you need for exactly your tranny it's advisable to call in the shop at DTT- they'll do a profile sheet and give you a quote.
How easy to install?- Well if you've ever rebuilt an auto and if you have the proper tools and some time at hands and if you are the person to work precisely!! it's not bad. You may need a set of bearing pullers and install tools too- depending on the state of your bearings.
Best thing to do before even contemplating doing it is to buy the factory service manual and then read the instructions in the transmission section. Then you'll know whether you feel comfortable doing it or not.
As for the TC- In my opinion it's ok to replace a worn out stocker with the Mojave green but if I had the choice I'd take the DTT TC in a heartbeat. (Especially if you consider total costs of the project to replace a TC and rebuild a tranny you'll see that the difference is only some hundred $)

HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 12-20-2004, 12:52 PM

I have a Mojave Green converter with the trannsgo shift kit. The Conveter is stock cover. Just has the stall speed lowered. It was the cheapest conveter I chould find at the time. About $380 I think. I installed the shift kit first made a big difference on how quick the conveter would apply but chould still slip pulling a load. The Mojave Green converter applyed better yet and whould hold up the hills. I suppose the old converter was just shot. I have had it in for a year now and 22,000 mile's no trouble but i don't pull heavy or alot. I really like the tranny for not having much money in it.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:26 PM

Dansdodgediesel: Thanks for the reply! So it doesent slip any right? Does it shudder or anything at lower speeds or anything? Does it seem to pull a lot harder than the stock converter does with the lower stall speed. I dont pull all the time, but i pull enough in the summer, and stuff, and i want a converter that will hold. Thanks for the reply!

Eric
Old 12-21-2004, 03:34 PM

I only pull about 6000 to 6500 I'll say. I have a 23 foot Power Play boat. I did run the boat over the scales last spring and it was over 6000 with out drive unit and half tank of gas with no items I ussually keep on it. I'd say the shift kit help the lock up time, slip at the time of lock up the most. I love the lower stall speed too. I would like to try something like DTT's trannys and convertor, but is so much money. What I had worked fine, just needed modifing. I do all the work myself also. I will say about the convertor, If I was to pull 6000 pounds all the time or pull alot more weight. Like 15,000. I think A better lock up clutch would be beneficial.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:28 PM

I just want something that will hold up to the power when i drag race, and mainly when im pulling loads. I dont pull all the time , but i do pull some decent loads in the summer, and i want it to hold up to that. So does the Mojave Green TC you have, have the stock clutch lining/clutch material stuff or what? I would like something better than stock, but i definatley want a lower stall too. I have been looking at the TCI converters also. $370 for their basic converter for my truck, or like $460 or so for the one with the Billet cover. Do you guys think i would benifit from a billet cover any? Im waiting on a price on a single disc suncoast, and also a dunrite converter, so ill have to see what happens there. Thanks

Eric
Old 12-23-2004, 04:58 AM

My opinion on the mojave green with the billet cover is that it's a good bit better than the stocker for running empty, but since the torque multiplication is lower and the stall speed is lower too it calls for at least an EZ or an EZ with 275s to get the truck moving. I don't think that the billet cover is really needed. As long as the stock cover is modified to avoid the warp of the high torque application (higher torque than stock) it's gonna be OK. With the higher apply pressure the stock lockup clutch is sufficient for very high torque- but if you have internal leaks this pressure will not be there, but the fluid will blow out at the leak.

AlpineRAM
Old 12-23-2004, 10:41 AM

Do they have a website(mojave green), or can you only buy them off of ebay? I wish i knew more about the TCI converters also, but it doeset seem that many have them. So do you think that this converter would be fine for pulling with? My truck has close to or right at the same amount of power that muy buddies 01 has with an EZ and injectors(40-60hp maybe?cant remember), so i believe i would be fine as far as the power goes; or at least i would hope so. Thanks for the info.

Eric
Old 12-23-2004, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by cumminsdriver635
Do they have a website(mojave green), or can you only buy them off of ebay? I wish i knew more about the TCI converters also, but it doeset seem that many have them. So do you think that this converter would be fine for pulling with? My truck has close to or right at the same amount of power that muy buddies 01 has with an EZ and injectors(40-60hp maybe?cant remember), so i believe i would be fine as far as the power goes; or at least i would hope so. Thanks for the info.

Eric
Here is their web address http://www.mojave-green.com/contact_us
Old 12-23-2004, 07:37 PM

Thanks for their website. They dont list anything about the converter for our trucks though. I guess you have to contact them about that?

Eric
Old 12-23-2004, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by cumminsdriver635
Thanks for their website. They dont list anything about the converter for our trucks though. I guess you have to contact them about that?

Eric
Guess we are not the only ones with TC problems.

Try this. http://www.mojave-green.com/inc/pdetail?v=1&pid=380

Quick Reply: Mojave Green TC and DTT tranny internals