Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

madd smarty

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking madd smarty

hi guys,i know im rushing a little,i guess no one exept the beta testers have got to try the smarty yet.do you guys think its a good i dea to get one right away or wait a while till they work out any bugs that may arrise{like the cruise control thing on the ecm}.i was hanging borderline on the fence debating getting a madd ecm,then the smarty came into the picture,im anxoiusly waiting to hear anyones news after recieving one.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
On the up side, according to the beta testers, they're not finding many bugs. And on the even higher up side, since they're setting up a downloadable updates program online, even if they do uncover a bug after production, you can download a fix as opposed to having to send off hardware to be reflashed.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Banned

Just hang tough till they come out for a bit(imo), to ensure bugs have been worked out, testing is complete, and you can get software upgrades online. The only downside from what I see with it, is that you apparently cannot switch to any other of the various programs, while "on the fly", like the comp does(according to Hohn, as he is one of the beta testers).

As there is limited information on them now until testing is done, I'm sure more info will come out soon on how the programs work, and maybe you will be able to have that "on the fly" adjustability also by then. Did I mention how much I like my original "CATCHER", I have all the power, and the adjustability all with only my right foot. . I don't think Marco is doing his magic to the ecm's anymore(not sure though). There was a thread on the "Smarty" a while back.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
01 / 17 / 06

A quick Update

Your response to Smarty has been over helming! We have collected
many more pre orders than what we would have ever believed
possible!

Not in our wildest dreams.... THANK YOU!

The beta testing is under progress. Other than a small bug in the
DTC reader which of course has been corrected, not much to report
here.

The enclosures and keyboards are in the works as we speak and will
be delivered on Friday 01/20. We will already begin to assemble the
Smarty's on Saturday. Full steam ahead!

Yet, we have to ask you for a little more patience. We will test every
single Smarty individually. We want to test the quality in each and
every aspect, down to the smallest part. That will take it's time.
Please be patient, by the end of the next week it should be all said
and done.

One more time, THANK YOU!
Old 01-19-2006, 10:24 PM
Banned

Bob, are you going to be able to have "on the fly" adjustment between the various programs, or is that still under wraps for now?.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
ON the fly adjustment is not doable with this setup.

You need to understand that with the Smarty you are REPROGRAMMING the ECM every time. You are not "adjusting a box".

So, in essence, the Smarty is over 300 custom ECMs in one box. Smarty knows which of the 30+ factory ECM configurations you have, and can then narrow it down to the 10 custom softwares tailored for your truck.

So for YOUR truck, you are getting 10 custom ECMs in one box. Instead of having to remove and reinstall a different ECM to get different software, all you do is hook it up and reprogram.

So while some people may lament the fact that you can't adjust "on the fly" like with a fueling box, you will find in the real world that you simply won't need it. All you need to do is select the SW that best compliments the rest of your mods.

With stock or small injectors, you will probably want the full-boogie Catcher (#9).

With larger injectors like mine, you will probably want a little less aggressive SW in terms of off-boost fueling (say #7 or #5).

If you use an Edge Comp, you'll want the "no timing" SWs, like #s 4, 6, and 8. You may also want to the no timing SWs if you are towing very heavy and want a little more insurance against popping a HG.

There's a SW version called "only fuel and boost" which I STILL cannot figure out what it means. It feels stout, and it's hard to tell the difference between it and some other SW versions.

Then there's the fuel saver SW which bumps timing closer to the ragged edge to optimize mpg over power. I would NOT recommend it for heavy towing-- this one is for empty cruising, imo.

Then there's my personal favorite, the half-power function. (SW#0). Think of it as a valet switch of sorts. Flash it in, and your truck is a total dog! With this SW in muy truck, I CANNOT MAKE SMOKE, NO MATTER WHAT-- even with Mach 4s!! It's the perfect SW to install before you loan the truck out to someone

Testing is ongoing as always. Possible enhancements include a retarded "drug pusher" SW that's optimized for big hits of N2O or C3H8 or both!

I suspect that one people get chance to demo the Smarty/TST stack, there will be a lot of Edge boxes for sale. I don't have a TST (yet), but I honestly don't feel like I need one just yet. M4s and Smarty is a wonderful combo.

Honestly, having a timing box like an EZ compared to the Smarty is like hiring a 2nd grader over a PHd to do the same work. The EZ is stone axe and the Smarty is a CNC mill

jmo
Old 01-20-2006, 12:11 AM
Banned

I don't need to understand about it's current reprogramming of ecm (1 program downloaded at a time). I asked Bob Wagner about it's on the fly adjustability, as you wouldn't be privy to all the info on the new Smarty, current or future updates in the work, curious minds want to know, if he'll tell us.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:54 AM

I asked Bob Wagner about it's on the fly adjustability, as you wouldn't be privy to all the info on the new Smarty, current or future updates in the work, curious minds want to know, if he'll tell us.
I see where you come from...
Those questions require a somewhat lenghty answer.

How does the "on the fly" thing work in reality?

Having to deal with the software settings in the ECM, we would need to download ALL the different softwares into the ECM. That way they would already be availabel inside the ECM. Once they are stuffed into the ECM we'd simply need to tell the ECM read this rather than that. The " Read this rather than that" thing is possible on the fly.

As always in the real world, limits to what can be done do exist.

The availabel memory space in the 98.5 - 04 ECM's is limited.
We could store 3 simple softwares into them. By "simple" I mean to say, softwares that deal with less than 1/3 of what I do with the CaTCHER.
At the end I could store no more than one stock sw + one CaTCHER into the ECM.

In the 04.5 and up ECM's the availabel memory is more but still not enough to stuff 10 different CaTCHER softwares into them.

The question was: simple softwares on the fly, or CaTCHER softwares not on the fly?

As you already know, I didn't like the simple software idea....
I want to deliver as many different softwares to match as many different situations as possible.

With Smarty the "on the fly adjustability" is done with your right foot.
Makes sense?

The future updates for Smarty?

Let me just say this. We can update ANYTHING in Smarty! Firmware, CaTCHER softwares, new added functions. No problem.

We have provided Smarty with enough different memories and memory space to update anything, anytime, we may want or need to.
Even if we decided to go from the CaTCHER's to the on the fly adjustability, we could do that with an update over the web.
Does that answer your questions?

Marco
Old 01-20-2006, 05:22 AM

The 1 big question Myself and many of the others here have is when will We get them? I know it will take A little time but We are like kids waiting for Christmas.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:06 AM

That SHOULD be in the first days of February.

Marco
Old 01-20-2006, 07:30 AM

Marco and Bob- good to hear things are coming along. Call me Bob
Old 01-20-2006, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by HOHN
I suspect that one people get chance to demo the Smarty/TST stack, there will be a lot of Edge boxes for sale. I don't have a TST (yet), but I honestly don't feel like I need one just yet. M4s and Smarty is a wonderful combo.
Offshoreracer proved the power of the mad/tst stack with 656 hp and he's said he usually drives the truck with the tst off. Granted he has a few more goodies than us,..b1/b2,cam,m6,...

Dunno if people will be selling edge comps for smarty/tst, but probably a lot of ez's and va's will start floating around
Old 01-20-2006, 09:06 AM
Banned

Sure, I'll sell my comp. Just as long as the smarty adds the same power that a comp does.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:22 AM

Can't wait for one for an 06! I really want a good downloader, and I think that Smarty sounds like the one
Old 01-20-2006, 09:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Sure, I'll sell my comp. Just as long as the smarty adds the same power that a comp does.

Why sell the COMP.........the smarty is stackable with the COMP..........which means more fun!!!!

~Nick

Quick Reply: madd smarty