Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Mad ECM and power upgrade questions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mad ECM and power/turbo upgrade questions?

I've read some threads about the mad ecm and it seems to have exactly what i want, more low end off the line power. I can't seem to find any info anywhere as to how to get one? Does a smarty do the same thing? I figure either one would compliment my Quad fueling only box nicely. I'm sure the hy35 will need to be upgraded, i'm thinking maybe HX-40 and bigger sticks ? Will a BD valve body and torque converter be able to handle the power since i would imagine i will be getting over 400hp?
Old 05-15-2007, 01:25 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the Smarty is made by MAD Electronics. Look on this site where it says "Shop DTR"
Old 05-15-2007, 01:45 PM

yup, before the smarty we had to send the ecm to be reflashed. It was called the Catcher/Mad ecm. The smarty is a programer that has the same sortware, but it 10 different settings now
Old 05-15-2007, 02:06 PM

MAD ecm was the roots of the Smarty. but it was all or nothing. it then became a multi-option downloader (Smarty) vs. a no-option ECM (Mads). so find a Smarty dealer and you'll be getting what you want...
Old 05-15-2007, 02:15 PM

So smarty it is i suppose, I'mn going to try and get one of the used ones and try the stack with my quad box, should be a decent combo until i can get a bigger turbo, bigger sticks and slide farther down the slippery slope.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by sledneck1
So smarty it is i suppose, I'mn going to try the stack with my quad box, should be a decent combo until i can get a bigger turbo, bigger sticks ....
It will be toasty with high EGT's... But the Smarty is spectacular on automatics!

RJ
Old 05-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by sledneck1
So smarty it is i suppose, I'mn going to try and get one of the used ones and try the stack with my quad box,
Good luck finding a used one.

Once one has one, they never want to be without.

phox
Old 05-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Ben

Here you go.

I would jump on that yesterday........

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ct=10828&cat=8
Old 05-16-2007, 05:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Love my Smarty. Best power mod I've done yet. Made much better with Don M injectors
Old 05-16-2007, 05:59 PM

HOHN,

how is your setup working with your stock turbo? I didn't trust myself with MACH 4s and the Smarty and went with an HTB2 62/12 and it is awesome. I cannot make it to 1250 pre-turbo. Can't do it.
I always wondered if I could make the 35 work and just lay out of the pedal and keep it gated to ~35 using lower Smarty settings.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
mach 4's here with smarty cant hardly break 1100F with the dodgezilla
Old 05-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Ben

Same as Bob with my Super B......
Old 05-16-2007, 10:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JLand
HOHN,

how is your setup working with your stock turbo? I didn't trust myself with MACH 4s and the Smarty and went with an HTB2 62/12 and it is awesome. I cannot make it to 1250 pre-turbo. Can't do it.
I always wondered if I could make the 35 work and just lay out of the pedal and keep it gated to ~35 using lower Smarty settings.
Lower Smarty setting will not lower boost. Aside from the special softwares (half power, security, etc), they all will make the same boost. The difference is in bottom end fueling.

I could see 35psi, and sometimes up to 38psi with the stock turbo-- definitely off the map and most likely into the danger zone as far as grenading the turbo. But the '35 is a tough little turbo.

If you're willing to drive with some restraint and limit over boost to 32psi or less using your right foot, then the stock turbo is perfectly useful even with Mach 4s. Even towing, I'd say. Just remember that you have little to no margin of error. You can't just floor it temporarily to pass a big rig. You start thinking that you're gonna give that guy next to you a sample of the impressive Cummins power while towing and you might end up buying a new short block.

I've done many WOT blasts in my truck with stock turbo, Smarty and Mach 4s. Empty, I only sustain this for a second or two. The EGTs are just starting to clear 1200 when I back out. This was at 6000 feet elevation, too.

This is why I tell people to choose spoolup over peak power-- in other words, err on the small side when picking a turbo. A turbo that spools quickly will slow the rate of EGT rise, and buy you a little more time before things hit the danger zone. Not to mention how much more useful a smaller turbo is in the real world-- towing, driving light-to-light.

For now, I'm happy with my stock turbo the way I use my truck. When I get back to the Mainland and get my truck back from my Dad, I'm planning to add a TST PM3 to the mix.

That will necessitate a larger turbo. Smarty and M4s is ragged edge, but doable with a stock charger. Smarty, M4s and a PM3 is turbo suicide i fyou stay in it too long.

I'm hoping to upgrade to an HTT 62 with the 71mm turbine. I'm convinced that's the best all-around aftermarket turbo available, and if I ever need more than it can provide, then I'll spray water first, then maybe some N2O.

JMO
Old 05-16-2007, 11:23 PM

Smarty and injectors are a great combo, especially the F-1 sticks =P

Look at all the low temps in this thread- you don't see that from guys running big boxes and smaller sticks. I'm quickly becomiing a fan of big sticks and small box.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
For now, I'm happy with my stock turbo the way I use my truck. When I get back to the Mainland and get my truck back from my Dad, I'm planning to add a TST PM3 to the mix.

That will necessitate a larger turbo. Smarty and M4s is ragged edge, but doable with a stock charger. Smarty, M4s and a PM3 is turbo suicide i fyou stay in it too long.

I'm hoping to upgrade to an HTT 62 with the 71mm turbine. I'm convinced that's the best all-around aftermarket turbo available, and if I ever need more than it can provide, then I'll spray water first, then maybe some N2O.

JMO
I know you've been wanting to run smarty/tst for a long time, but how about going to a cam next, then the tst before making the big turbo purchase? You know you want to =P

Quick Reply: Mad ECM and power upgrade questions?