Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Loosing my prime

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loosing my prime

OK lads time for some advice. Changed my injectors there last week and have been loosing my prime for starting ever since.

LP is Good 15 PSI when it prims and stays for a few seconds.

No leaks on the injector lines or the fuel lines from wildcat.

Where else could I have a leak? I cannot find diesel anywhere on the motor when I look. What could be missing?

Im gonna pull the injector lines off tonight and have a look but Im pretty sure everything is good.

I even cracked each line while idling and there is a ton of fuel there and then it runs rough as heck! Tighten em up and it idles smooth as silk. Leave it for a few hours like I got to work at 7:30 and just started it up now at 1:30 and cranked probably 35 seconds plus while pumping the peddle (not sure if pumping the peddle does squat on these things?) and it will fire right up and run perfect? And it doesn't fire up like when you changed injectors and it runs all rough it runs smooth as silk?

Anyones help if as always appreciated. Right now its got me
Old 09-15-2003, 12:36 PM
Banned

Re:Loosing my prime

I'd check the return line(s). Check all the lines very carefully for very small holes. Sounds like you have a pin hole that over time is allowing some air in the lines and that is causing you to lose your prime. Make sense?
Old 09-15-2003, 12:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Check for leaks in the fuel pressure gauge line, or where the fuel pressure sending unit goes into the system. There is a possibility that it will let air in when no pressure is on the system and then not let it out when pressure come back up, leaving air in the system. Kind of like a reed valve, which allows flow only one way. This problem could affect other parts of the fuel system, but I'm guessing the fuel sending unit or hoses connecting such because of the different way it connects into the system.
These, of course, are the hardest leaks to find because they are leaking INTO the fuel system, not out.

Chris
Old 09-15-2003, 12:46 PM

I'll check the gauge tonight that could be it however its a mechanical FP from isspro could be the culpriate though its getting noisy!
Old 09-15-2003, 01:16 PM

What about the injector tubes?
Old 09-15-2003, 01:18 PM

Thats what I was wondering stake can u crush em?
Old 09-15-2003, 02:35 PM

OK just went out to drive across town for a min.

Cycled the key got 2 PSI on the LP turned ignition off did not go for start. Cycled again 15 PSi then back to 5PSI and slowly fall to one or 2 PSI and hold. Could it be leaking on the inlet side of the LP then? Or a return line or something? Anyone have any more ideas?

Was stopped at the place for 10 Mins came out started then quit recycled key and fired up again.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:42 PM

mine was doing the weird pressure thing exactly like you just described .........turned out to be a hole worn in the main steel line back above the tank ................
Old 09-15-2003, 02:50 PM

yeah maybe cause its lowered its hitting something Im gonna be getting wet I c its raining out :'( and not my tears either!
Old 09-15-2003, 03:09 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im loosing my prime too. things just arent like they used to be :'(

Ive noticed my plumbing is sometimes bit leaky too.

LOL!!

Don~
Old 09-15-2003, 03:13 PM
Banned

That's a little more than we wanted to know Don.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:13 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

Don M, That was the first thing that crossed my mind when I read the title. Wondered when someone would bring this up.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:15 PM

Ha Ha very funny this is a problem Don back in the crate with you! I'll pay the freight!
Old 09-15-2003, 03:37 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too late Jamie...the sticks are in the mail.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:48 PM

OK guys got to looking and Don you are gonna want to swat me it was leaking around #4,5,6 nuts so I cranked on #4,5 and got em to stop but no matter what #6 WILL NOT stop leaking!!! It keeps bubbling out around the threads where the gold nut screws to the block. What are my options with this? I can't tighten it anymore its TIGHT. I started modernately tight and kept going on the others till they stopped this one here will not stop. Can I put thread sealent on the nut to stop it or will it still leak. Don I removed the EDMs that were in there to send back tomorrow and Im running the honed 2's just to check. It leaks with both sets I can't get rid of the leak. Can that nut get cracked or anything? I need to know my options or what to do? Can I replace the tube can it be that? Does the tube just pull out? Please let me know guys Im really stuck this time!

Quick Reply: Loosing my prime