Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

lets talk quiet???

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 06:08 PM
bws

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lets talk a quiet truck???

this might be a little different subject but i,m trying to make my o1 as quiest as possible and have power,rip set me up with a quiet 4 " exhaust/30" walker muffler/4" resinator,i,m pleased,maybee a little quieter than stock[and low egt temps],i was going to take out my interior and coat the inside with some kind of rubber matting[especialy the back wall]???any sugestions where to get a large roll of some insolative material with self sticking backing???what air intake would be quiet[the quiestest made]???any other tricks that anyone knows how to make a quiet ride???really i need some ideas.i love my truck....just 8 hours in it and the noise gets to me...brad
Old 04-06-2005, 06:36 PM

There are many quiet tricks. Search here, and you will find them, ranging from sonoflex to lead sheeting.
Don't tell anyone...keep it quiet!
Old 04-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Banned

Go and get some stuff called brown bread and apply about two or three layers on the floor, doors, and back wall. Maybe one or two on the roof. If you can get to the firewall, do a layer or two there. As far as air intakes, I'd say a stock box is probably the quietest you could get. You could drill some holes in the bottom of it to help the air flow into it.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:20 PM

I put AFE stage II PG7 intake on my truck and if it's any louder than stock it's only by a little bit, it has a lid so is only open to the side facing fender. Also, there's a company that makes insulation kits for oil pan, valve cover, hood, etc. to quiet the engine down, but I can't remember the name, maybe somebody else will chime in.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:00 PM

There are alot of sound deadening materials out there. Go to www.onlinestereo.com , www.crutchfield.com, www.cardomain.com, or www.fatmat.com. There is a company called cascade that makes all kinds of material. I'm laying in Dynamat and Cascade product in my 01 to give my speakers more clarity by making the truck quieter on the inside. I agree with you that 8 hours in a loud truck really adds to the fatigue.
As far as intake, my AFE really isn't any louder than stock until I get on it and then you hear the turbo whine.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:47 PM

Trade 'er in on a new one. I couldn't believe how much quieter they are.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:57 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If your turbo is making much noise a TAG can't be beat
http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/tag
Old 04-07-2005, 10:57 AM

sound deadening material......try "dynamat". many prof. car stereo installers apply this to the interior of vehicles to quiet down the road noise.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our remote site generators (4BT Cummins) run heat shield/noise matting on the turbo and first few feet of exhaust pipe, I'll see what brand it is in a couple hours. It's made for our trucks, but it's pretty pricey stuff. If I can borrow a digital camera before I hit the site I'll get some pics.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:24 PM

Re: lets talk a quiet truck???

Originally posted by bws
this might be a little different subject but i,m trying to make my o1 as quiest as possible ]???any sugestions???....any other tricks that anyone knows how to make a quiet ride???really i need some ideas....brad
http://www.atpwrap.com/dodge_ram.htm

RJ
Old 04-07-2005, 06:05 PM

there is a thread on the tdr about it.
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...d.php?t=127645
Old 04-07-2005, 09:49 PM
The Guru

What’s wrong with some rattling? I lov the loud the sound of the 2gen motor and wouldn't change it for a new truck. I get kicks out people that turn around to see what’s coming down the road. On that highway speeds, you can hardly hear the motor. Most of the motor noise comes from the injection pump. Yes, you can get rid of that Cummins rattling sound, but why!!! It’s kinda like buying non-alcoholic beer.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:14 AM

www.insultech.com
Old 04-08-2005, 07:21 AM

I've been thinking about using some water proofing board we use on the job. It's like the dynamat stuff, it's about 1/4 in. thick and when you stick it on it will not come off no matter what. It seems to form easy on concrete and steel. They use 4x8 foot sheets of it and it's usually laying everywhere when the waterproofers get done. It might be cheaper to buy than the soundproof stuff too.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you really want to get it quiet get a set of Bose sound canceling head phones. We use them in aircraft all the time. I'm not sure the cops will like it though!

Quick Reply: lets talk quiet???