Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Just ordered MBRP from Lary

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 01:22 PM
I think I can... I think...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just ordered MBRP from Lary

Well I ordered my new exhaust today.
THANKS LARRY!!!!
Am I going to be able to remove the factory exhaust without cutting it up? I'd like to keep it in one piece if possible. I can then hang it on my wall of other factory items that I'll never use again!!
I've got everything from car/truck parts, motorcycle, and even lawnmower parts!!!!
I just can't make myself throw that stuff away!!
Old 09-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Your welcome Capt

I tried to get my old system out of my 96 in one piece, fought it for about an hour just because I am a stubborn old brute and refused to let it beat me

I finally gave up grabbed the sawzall and one quick cut later it was on the ground in two pieces. Maybe you can find away if you can get the truck high enough off the ground, but I decided that two pieces was good enough for me
Old 09-28-2009, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Your welcome Capt

I tried to get my old system out of my 96 in one piece, fought it for about an hour just because I am a stubborn old brute and refused to let it beat me

I finally gave up grabbed the sawzall and one quick cut later it was on the ground in two pieces. Maybe you can find away if you can get the truck high enough off the ground, but I decided that two pieces was good enough for me
Where did you make your cut??
In front of the bend over the axle?
Old 09-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Admin Team Leader

I believe right about in the middle some where.....
Old 09-28-2009, 03:22 PM

I too, like Lary, tried to remove the factory exhaust in one piece. After an hour I grabbed the sawzall. I think I cut mine just after the downpipe.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:26 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by ldornak
I too, like Lary, tried to remove the factory exhaust in one piece. After an hour I grabbed the sawzall. I think I cut mine just after the downpipe.
Ahhhh...another Charter member of the "NEVER GIVE UP" club
Old 09-28-2009, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Ahhhh...another Charter member of the the "NEVER GIVE UP" club
Yea well I'm much lazier
and less patient than I used to be so there is a good chance that the sawzall my come into play early for me!!
Old 09-28-2009, 07:54 PM

If you don't have much patience any more you should spray the 2 bolts at the turbo/downpipe the evening before you start with some PB blaster or WD40. I 2nd the sawzaw. Comes out much quicker and is easier to carry away.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by mr bill
If you don't have much patience any more you should spray the 2 bolts at the turbo/downpipe the evening before you start with some PB blaster or WD40. I 2nd the sawzaw. Comes out much quicker and is easier to carry away.
Absoposilutely!!!!
I really hate dealing with exhaust bolts on anything. Those buggers always end up being a pita!!
I may hit it for a couple of days before I start on it.
For the record I've never really accomplished much with WD-40 but PB Blaster has worked wonders on everything I've used it on!!
Old 09-29-2009, 09:43 AM

I agree with mr bill. I soaked my downpipe bolts the night before with PB blaster. I was really surprised the next morning at how easy they came loose.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:04 PM

The kit arrived today!!!
Pretty sweet....24hrs from order to delivery.
"Results not guaranteed for all locations!!"
Old 09-29-2009, 07:02 PM

Ok I got in a bit of a hurry.
Shot em with PB at lunch and got out there this afternoon. Tried a regular ratchet-nothing, 18" breakover bar- nothing, finally a 1/2" drive impact wrench......you guessed it nothing. Those 13 yr old exhaust bolts are pretty stuck. I hit em with some more PB Blaster and will hit em again in the morning and tomorrow at lunch. Other than that I don't know what else to do unless I borrow a friends 3/4" impact. My worry is that I'll break something.
Will the cast iron elbow that is between the turbo and the exhaust come off?
My thought is to remove the band around it and pull it out with the pipe I can then work on it with ease.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:04 PM

Let the PB work, I just installed a Performance Series MBRP on my 95 and soaked the bolts for a couple of days, once they broke free turned very easy.

I wouldn't pull the exhaust elbow. You'll need to position the downpipe carefully on the elbow prior to final tightening to insure no frame or firewall contact. I know I don't think Icould position it properly on the bench.

I used about 2' of 1/2" extensions to reach the bolts from the bottom to remove. When it came time to install the headpipe bolts I couldn't reach around the larger downpipe to use the 1/2" drive from the bottom.I tightened back with a 3/8 drive ratched with a 3" extension from above. Slow but not too bad. Actually thinking back I started out with 3/8 ratchet and finished up with an air ratchet.

I had a active thread last week on my experience if you do a search on my name.

In closing I used header tape on the downpipe to the muffler and it really helps with noise. I'm not sure but think in quieter than the stock exhaust with a Walker muffler.

Good luck.

RR
Old 09-30-2009, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by moparguy
Let the PB work, I just installed a Performance Series MBRP on my 95 and soaked the bolts for a couple of days, once they broke free turned very easy.

I wouldn't pull the exhaust elbow. You'll need to position the downpipe carefully on the elbow prior to final tightening to insure no frame or firewall contact. I know I don't think Icould position it properly on the bench.

I used about 2' of 1/2" extensions to reach the bolts from the bottom to remove. When it came time to install the headpipe bolts I couldn't reach around the larger downpipe to use the 1/2" drive from the bottom.I tightened back with a 3/8 drive ratched with a 3" extension from above. Slow but not too bad. Actually thinking back I started out with 3/8 ratchet and finished up with an air ratchet.

I had a active thread last week on my experience if you do a search on my name.

In closing I used header tape on the downpipe to the muffler and it really helps with noise. I'm not sure but think in quieter than the stock exhaust with a Walker muffler.

Good luck.

RR
Walker muffler huh???
I'm lookin at some Walkers (Dynomax) for my 09 Challenger.
No one seems to be able to post real gains for the high dollar systems but I saw a thread where a race team used a particular set of Walkers and got very comparative times between these mufflers and straight pipe headers on an early 70s GTO. I may just take va chance on em.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:30 PM

Back in the day , that'd be the early 70's, the sleeper muffler was the stock Mopar Chrysler 440 (with 440 engine) muffler, it was 2 1/2 in and out reverse flow. Two of these on the Duster when it was turning high 12's were almost as good (if not better) than open headers. Only problem were they were really big and heavy.

The wife has the hots for a new Challenger. Had yours on the track, times??

Thread hi-jack over.
RR

Quick Reply: Just ordered MBRP from Lary