Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Just a little bit more power

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a little bit more power

I just got my '95 dually a couple weeks ago. I don't feel like it has a lack of power but the first cummins dodge I owned was an '04 305/555 motor...so I want a bit more than stock on this one. I know this has 175/400 stock and am wanting to get up to around 200-225 HP (crank)and maybe 450-500 TQ. Just to have a bit more giddy up...in no way wanting to hotrod...I bought the truck to tow a couple jeeps down the hwy reliably.

I know I can get some from a better than stock intake and am wondering about exhaust as well? I've read that NAPA has a part number for a bolt in filter than will replace the entire stock airbox...? I know my '04 woke up a little with an intake and 4" turbo back exhaust done...just had a bit better than stock throttle reponse.

I have read some on the fuel pin, plate, governor spring etc...but that's all fairly new to me. I am sure I can do those things but I am wondering if with what I am wanting if any of that will be necessary?
Old 03-12-2012, 04:52 PM

Forget about the intake and exhaust if you're looking for 225 FWHP (somewhere around 180 RWHP), take your stock fuel plate and slide it forward. If you need more than that, grind a new profile into it. A GSK will give you a much broader power band, there are cheap substitutes for that if you search on here.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:17 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
If you want to change to a BHAF its NAPA part # 2790. It should fit your turbo intake tube if its similar to an 01. You are gonna want to fab up a heat shield if you do this or you'll be sucking hot air off the turbo. IIRC there is a template I used for mine somewhere on here.

Tate's right about the fuel plate, an intake/exhaust isn't really gonna add any power you'd feel, but the exhaust may be needed to lower your egt's.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definatly do the gsk, best thing I did to mine, and as said slide the plate forward. I've had a few different exhaust setups on mine, stock, straight piped, dual stacks, now duals, I've never noticed a difference in egts by changing exhaust, just my experience.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:36 AM

Now the big question on the gov spring...DIY cheap way or buy a kit?

Thanks for the responses guys...I remember with my '04 it was plug and play with various 'tuners' so this is new to me.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Buy a kit unless you value your own labor at under $1/hr.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by 7707
Now the big question on the gov spring...DIY cheap way or buy a kit?

Thanks for the responses guys...I remember with my '04 it was plug and play with various 'tuners' so this is new to me.
buy the GSK, and grind your plate into a #100, its an easy profile and will still be a little easier on the drivetrain off the hop.. the profiles are on here if you do a search.. you will notice a huge difference in power over stock, but if you have a stock automatic tranny you might just want to leave well enough alone.. my tranny was fine and working perfect with 355,000km on it, slid the stock fuel plate ahead and 1 km down the road the converter was slipping
Old 03-15-2012, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by infidel
Buy a kit unless you value your own labor at under $1/hr.
Are you saying doing the washer shim mod is going to take 100+ hours to get right?
Old 03-15-2012, 06:47 AM

My transmission is not stock. It was rebuilt about 6 months ago and I know the shop does good work.

With grinding the plate...does it still get moved forward? I am not wanting to go crazy...just get a bit better on takeoff and have a bit more useable RPM's.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:08 AM

I`am real happy with the way my truck pulls now with the mods I have done. I think last year on a dyno I had 334 at the back wheels.All I will do this towing season is have my valves adjusted and timing set to 15.5 . My fiver is 10500 grw and I have no problems with keeping up to traffic.The tranny has not been touched ,just new fluid every 50000 klm . the truck will soon see 300000 kl and pulls great. my .02
Old 03-15-2012, 09:19 AM

My transmission is not stock. It was rebuilt about 6 months ago and I know the shop does good work.

With grinding the plate...does it still get moved forward? I am not wanting to go crazy...just get a bit better on takeoff and have a bit more useable RPM's.
you can leave it in the stock spot and still notice a large gain.. mine is basically in the stock position, maybe 1/16" ahead thats about it..

when the shop did your tranny did they put a better than stock torque converter in it or a stock replacement? and did they leave your valve body alone? an aftermarket valve body or shift kit does wonders in these things.. just the transgo TFOD shift kit almost stopped my converter from slipping but it still needed to be replaced.. my othewise origional tranny has been holding strong now for over a year with the mods in my sig hauling a 33' 5er and the odd beating
Old 03-15-2012, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by kujo
you can leave it in the stock spot and still notice a large gain.. mine is basically in the stock position, maybe 1/16" ahead thats about it..

when the shop did your tranny did they put a better than stock torque converter in it or a stock replacement? and did they leave your valve body alone? an aftermarket valve body or shift kit does wonders in these things.. just the transgo TFOD shift kit almost stopped my converter from slipping but it still needed to be replaced.. my othewise origional tranny has been holding strong now for over a year with the mods in my sig hauling a 33' 5er and the odd beating
Yes it does have a better than stock converter and valve body. My friend had his '03 done about 18 months ago by the same shop and other than the acceleration differences between the 2 trucks the trannies shift the same...I wouldn't be surprised if they are similar...maybe even identical rebuilds (even though different trannies...sort of). He paid almost $3K for his rebuild...I bought my truck for only $4K with a near new rebuild. He cried a little!

So basically I should move my fuel plate forward (even if just a little) and put in a 3200 GSK? I definitely will have gauges on it soon (at least EGT)...I had them on my '04 and it was stock (after I tried and got rid of the edge box in it LOL).
Old 03-15-2012, 06:51 PM

Yes it does have a better than stock converter and valve body. My friend had his '03 done about 18 months ago by the same shop and other than the acceleration differences between the 2 trucks the trannies shift the same...I wouldn't be surprised if they are similar...maybe even identical rebuilds (even though different trannies...sort of). He paid almost $3K for his rebuild...I bought my truck for only $4K with a near new rebuild. He cried a little!

So basically I should move my fuel plate forward (even if just a little) and put in a 3200 GSK? I definitely will have gauges on it soon (at least EGT)...I had them on my '04 and it was stock (after I tried and got rid of the edge box in it LOL).
Well if your tranny is done right then slide it all the way, you will be pleasantly surprised.. Just watch your egt gauge if you tow heavy.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Tate
Are you saying doing the washer shim mod is going to take 100+ hours to get right?
Probably more before you finally get tired of fooling with it and buy a real kit.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. I may move the plate around this weekend and then save my $ and get the GSK and gauges asap.

I'm just happy to be back in a dodge/cummins.

Quick Reply: Just a little bit more power