Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Just got back from a 4000 mile trip...... suggestions ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got back from a 4000 mile trip...... suggestions ??

I just got back from a 4000 mile trip pulling my 48 foot enclosed car trailer...... I scaled the whole thing, and it was 25,085 fully loaded.

Anyhow, With all my mods, and NOT using fifth gear, I was able to keep a constant 65mph, and averaged between 9 - 10 mpg. To me that wasn't too bad........ What do you think ?

I only really had TWO issues come up:

First was running up a grade between Flagstaff, and Phoenix, I blew the lower turbo I-cooler hose off, and WOW did it scare the #$% out of me for a second. Sounded like a shotgun went off in the truck, and Black smoke poured out of the exhaust for a couple seconds. The pyro also went to 1400 for just a second, but the went right down to about 1000, and that's where I held it, and went about 5mph 'til I could pull over and re-connect the hose.

Is there an aftermarket style hose for these that'll take more abuse, or is the fix just to crank these clamps down as tight as possible and hope for the best ??

Second issue was the temp gauge climbing mountains. I could keep the speed up, and keep all gauges in the "green", but then it happens.............. Temp gauge soars into the red, and I have to slow down to 20 mph with the heat cranked just to keep it from overheating. I used the product called "water wetter", and it seemed to help a little, but not enough.

Is there a way to fix this problem ?? How about running a secondary radiator ?? Would this be a good idea ?? Please post your thoughts on this..
Old 04-08-2005, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both Piers & Haisley make HD Boots for CTD.
http://www.piersdiesel.com/Products.htm
http://www.haisleymachine.com/

I don't know about the Haisley...but I can tell you the Peirs are a real PITA to get on. Once on...they won't ever come off by themselves. They come with much nicer clamps (see my gallery-"air supply" picture)......I've heard you don't even need the clamps under 30 psi boost!

With added HP and towing heavy...Coolant Temps become the limiting factor. I don't tow heavy enough to have that problem. I would check on the "Towing & Hauling/RV" threads for a better answer.

RJ
Old 04-08-2005, 04:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
For hoses issues, I'd recommend a complete silicone hose kit like the one mr.bob's distrubuting has.

Be advised though, that the silicone hoses are not good for high heat or boost over 50psi. If that's the case the Piers boots are the way to go.

www.mrbobsdistributing.com

jlh

As for the water wetter, you need about 3 bottles because our cooling systems are so big.

If you STILL have problems, then a full conversion to Evans NPG+ coolant is the best bet. Not cheap, but you'll never change the coolant again.

www.evanscooling.com

jlh
Old 04-08-2005, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First of all, clean your rad!! Check closesly for muck and junk between the fins, you might be surprised how much gunk is in there, especially if you have not relocated the breather bottle.

Second of all, replace your t-stat with a new Cummins one, they seem to always cool better with a new stat in them.

When was the last time you replaced the coolant/flushed the system??? Might be time. My truck never runs hot.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the factory rated T-stat in these 24v 's ??

Is that what I should stick with, or what would be better suited for heavy towing ??