Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Installed Cobra 29 WX ST

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed Cobra 29 WX ST

It has taken me almost three months to figure this one out. With 5 on the floor it requires some creative planning but ended up with almost no materials. There was no modification, cutting or drilling required, used existing screws and bolts. The first step was to remove the long snapl-in cup on the left of the floor console by sqeezing the top edges toward the center and lifting. This exposed a plastic inspection plate bolted by four bolts. It was necessary to drill holes in two corner braces. The brackles were bolted down to the top of the inspection plated with the original four bolts. To the vertical legs of the corner braces I bolted the Cobra mounting bracket.

In the remaining space where the cup was removed I inserted a 4" thick piece of Upholstry Foam cut to fill the space.

The wiring and antenna cable was slipped under the edge of the console and run forward and upward behind the dash, then to the left of the steering column assembly. The positive (+) line and athe ant.cable were run through the grommet slightly lower and a few inches to the left of the steering assembly grommet on the firewall. Under the hood the antenna cable was run backward outside the frame to inside the left front corner of the bed. It exits inside the bed coming out of the post scocket. At this point I am able to disconnect my magnetic base antenna at a coupling.

The Positive lead from the firewall grommet runs forward to an inline fuse just outside the underhood fuse box. Attaching a a female connector to the lead I found #2 fuse position was empty with a hot male connector. There as no difficulty finding a screw in the dash frame for my negative.

View from the Driver's Seat:
Old 01-02-2003, 10:44 PM

Re:Installed Cobra 29 WX ST

Here is a view from the Driver's Door. Note that my Prodigy Brake Controller is mounted on the removable panel below the steering wheel on the left
Old 01-02-2003, 10:48 PM

This is a view from the passenger side which shows the exposed portion of the angle brackets. Note the space between the ash tray and my Cobra is sufficient to allow complete opening for use. You can also see the foam filling the space where the long black cup was removed. I may cover this with some fabric to match the upholstry.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:57 PM

This picture shows from another angle from the passenger side. The stick shifter is in 5th gear. The closest it comes to my Cobra is about 1 1/2", however the **** is comfortably above the CB.
Old 01-03-2003, 09:48 AM

Very Creative, good job. You lucked out because you don't have 4 wheel drive. I'm looking at installing one in my truck but will be installing the unit overhead. I don't have the cool overhead console my 02 1500 had so I will have to be creative. I take it your ash tray won't open? <br><br>
Old 01-03-2003, 10:33 AM

TON4FUN,<br>My ash tray does open fully with CB installed
Old 01-04-2003, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sierra I had a Cobra I believe it was a model 28LTd Side band and I looked a lot like yours but I believe it was older. I was planning to do what you did but I found a small Brand new realistic ( Never installed and still in the original box). and I made a trade even up for the used Cobra. The Realistic is 7&quot; long 4 1/2&quot; wide and 1&quot; thick. I took the bottom cover of of the radio and mounted the Prodigy bracket, Installed the Radio where you installed your Prodigy and then installed the prodigy on the bottom of the radio. I know the other guy got a better radio but I got a smaller one that fit where I wanted it to and I never used the side band features any way. I just use it when we are traveling with others any way. Sorry I do not have the equipment or the ability to post pictures.
Old 01-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Jim,<br><br>I just hooked up the same unit in mine today. I had installed it a week or so ago but never wired it in while I meditated on it. Finally wired it in today. Fine little radio. I put mine on the slopping panel under the steering wheel opposite my brake controller. Easy to get at and easy to hear - - I did not want aux speaker. Ended up with a 1.05 SWR on the installation - - not bad for thru the glass antenna. Pretty sensitive and 45 to 50% modulation.<br><br>Bob
Old 01-05-2003, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FiverBob Your right I have to us an aux speaker and It is between the drivers door and the seat facing up so I can hear it and hopefuly my wife can't (I always get told to turn that darn thing off from her) I do not have an SWR meter so I had mine matched professionaly. He did not like the location I chose for my ariel ( I have it mounted of off the tool box at the LH corner of the cab so that the trailer will contact it before it hits the cab it sort of works like the old curb feelers that were popular in the sixtys. You can hear the trailer touch it before you have contact with the cab). I have put my cell phone booster kit antenea on the RH side for the same reason It kicks my cell phone up to 3 1/2 Watts ( I don't think you need them in the south 48 states)but it also makes the cellphone hands free.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:59 AM

Jim,<br><br>Give me more info on the cell phone amplifier antenna. I asked my phone guy about this - - he had the look of a deer in headlights. Where did you find it? How much? What brand phone unit are you using?<br><br>Bob
Old 01-06-2003, 10:19 AM

FiverBob,<br><br>I've heard of the cell phone booster antenna through the window type while snowbirding in Yuma last year. Where we stay is a nice resort near the Imperial Dam. Cell reception is spotty, they stick a cell tower on top of some butte and think everyone within 10 mi9les has reception. We had almost no signal at our trailer standing outside looking at the peak in the distance. 150 ft away with almost the same view of the peak (5 miles away) a full signal. <br><br>Our friends in a sight across from put a booster antenna on their window kept their cell phone near the window and could call out and receive calls without a problem. That is all I know about it. This thingy could have great usefulness in the Far Reaches of the Great Northwest heading for Alaska. Much more useful than the Suck-O-Meter we all gaze at in wonder.<br><br>Jim O, Could you describe for us the &quot;cell phone booster kit antenea&quot; in amore detail. Where to buy and cost? Thanks<br><br>Phil
Old 01-06-2003, 01:47 PM

Phil,<br><br>Are you saying this is not a direct wire antenna and would work with any phone? What is to stop it also amplifying your neighbors phone?<br><br>Bob
Old 01-06-2003, 01:51 PM

You know whats funny, I got one of the old fasion &quot;bag phones&quot; still. While you guys are out wandering around trying to fine a signal I can talk just about anywhere, the thing is way better then any hand held. The cell phone people come into work here pushing cell phones, every time I ask them if they got one that will work as well as the old bag phone, every time they so no. They just don't make them like they use to, I will run it untill it dies. If I hook the external antena on it I get full power just about anywhere.
Old 01-06-2003, 02:25 PM

I didn't look that closely, Fiver. it looked lipe it could have some of pickup coil on the glass. I suppose if your neighbors came over and stood near the booster it would work for them. Of course there could be a problem, my friend is a retired Calif Hwy Patrol Captain and he keeps a &quot;piece&quot; loaded in his Alpenlite 5er. dNot a good place to be snoopin around after dark.
Old 01-06-2003, 03:36 PM

[quote author=Mopar_Mudder link=board=7;threadid=9119;start=0#88984 date=1041882670]<br>You know whats funny, I got one of the old fasion &quot;bag phones&quot; still. <br>[/quote]<br><br>My Grammer had one of dem dar fones. She finally thru it out along with her round screen B&amp;W TV set. <br><br>SpringChickBob

Quick Reply: Installed Cobra 29 WX ST