Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

injectors vs delivey valves vs EGT's

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 01:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I f I were you Id pick up some 215 used for cheap then find some 181 dvs used for cheap. I got a set of 181 for a 100 bucks and they work really well. If you try to go to 370s youll need a turbo upgrade if you wanna tow. Also bump that plate back a 1/16th it will work better.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:52 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you have a #5 or #10 plate and you want to move it forward, I would suggest you bump the timing to at least 16*........this will start the fueling earlier in the stroke and counter the retarding effect that a far forward plate adds........when you have excess fueling that is too retarded it shows up in the form of smoke and egt instead of increased power........

IMO, 215's will be your limit if you have 131 dv's........131's will definately not flow enough to realize the full potential of 370's...........181's will easily flow enough for 370's......

I would suggest a dv swap to a 181 or 191 first..........when you step up to a larger injector you will want them regardless.......181's or 191's will give you a huge additional bottom end punch even with 160 injectors but the injectors will limit fueling up high........

From my experience, you can keep egt's in check with this set up by positioning the plate properly with some additional timing advance.........you may want to limit advance to 18* if you tow heavy frequently and move the plate until you get reasonable egt's..........

As it has already been mentioned, you will need a turbo upgrade if you add 370's with big dv's.........it is just way too much fuel for a 12cm HX35.......
Old 02-14-2005, 03:00 PM

Actually(i forgot) i moved my plate back about 1/16th the other day with no change really. Will 181's be fine EGT wise though? How much will they add? I would almost rather have D.V.'s than injectors, but dont want EGT's to go up much, if any. Your right though, i can adjust my plate, but i still want to have a little more power. I plan on 16.5 degrees timing. I dont want to go too high. Also, I have the 16cm housing, but it didnt seem to make any difference, so there goes that. lol Well guys. Its looking like its coming down to either 181 D.V.'s, or 215 injectors. If i did the 181 D.V.'s could I also do 215 injectors down the road, and not really gain much EGT wise? Anyway. Its looking like 215's or 181's, so which ones, and why guys? Which will give me the most power, and what kind of EGT increase am i looking at? Thanks!

Eric
Old 02-15-2005, 08:46 AM
Chapter President

The 160 pump is seriously hindered by the 131 dv's.........So, again, get yourself a set of 181's or 191's first - you will need them anyway if you want to fully benefit from an injector swap........swapping in 215's and using them with 131 dv's will not be the big power gain you are looking for..........with 215's, 181's and your #5 plate, you will be at the limits (or past?)of a 12cm HX35 - don't get rid of that 16cm housing............you say it didn't make a difference?......Well, you have to move a lot of fuel for you to realize the benefits of lower drive pressures that the 16cm gives and swapping to big dv's and injectors will require a housing swap..........timing is crucial to keeping egt's down when you start to move the plate forward........

The 16cm housing was mandatory when I installed the 370's.........with the stock 12cm, boost was way too high and egt's were not controllable..........The truck picked up a noticable amount of power with the 16cm.........

If you want to keep your 12cm for now, do a dv swap and add some timing - you won't be dissapointed!
Old 02-15-2005, 01:56 PM

Eric if you worried about EGT's right now then what makes you think going to a bigger injector and DV will help any? with 300 marine injectorrs and a #10 plat with a stock turbo and housing I could hit 1400* very easy but after that is would cool back down. switching from a 12CM to a 18.5 droped me 150* and 7PSI of boost. and going to a 4" DP droped me another 100* but I added some laser cuv DV's from J.R and gained 90HP so My egst are sll over the place. If your going to worrie about egts then you stock charger is going to need to be junked because there is no 12 CM housing that will run coll with 350HP and even at 300 it will hit 1400* You do know you can controll EGTS with you right foot right? Or drive like me and never look at the guage
DM01
Old 02-15-2005, 03:11 PM

I know.. I know... Cant have the cake, and eat it too.

CTD NUT: So your saying i should go ahead, and keep the bigger housing if i plan on a little more fuel? It doesent hurt spoolup to much, so if you guys think it will help later down the road, then ill keep it on(dont much feel like switching it out anyway ). So 181's will give me a bigger kick in the pants than the 215's?

Dodgeman01: Well. Im figuring if timing(16.5 degrees is what im going to) lowers my EGT's 150 degrees like a lot claim, and if i go to a bigger downpipe, and exhaust, then my EGT's should be real close to 1250-1300 degrees. Then i can add some more power, and maybe not gain to much EGT wise if i go with 181's, and i should be pretty well off for me. I just want a little more power(50-60hp), and i should be happy until im ready for a bvigger turbo or something . But i think if i can get my EGT's down, 181 D.V.'s shouldnt raise them that much, and 215's shouldnt hurt much at all if i wanted to do them later.

Eric
Old 02-15-2005, 11:20 PM

I would go a head and buy the 370 injectors and the laser cut DV's from J.R and just slide the plate forward until egt's were in check that way when you get the new turbo or what ever all you have to do is slide the plate and you have mroe power. that way your not buying things 2x and you don't have to replace injectors and DV's 2x.
DM01
Old 02-16-2005, 12:06 AM

Hey Aaron,how is the lag on that big housing with all the fuel you have.How would it compare to something like my setup as far as lag.DO you ever tow and are you able to keep your Egts down when you tow.I was thinking maybe something like your setup with a 10 to keep the egt down some for towing.I thought it may be the hot setup for cummins driver to.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by Dufrain
Hey Aaron,how is the lag on that big housing with all the fuel you have.How would it compare to something like my setup as far as lag.DO you ever tow and are you able to keep your Egts down when you tow.I was thinking maybe something like your setup with a 10 to keep the egt down some for towing.I thought it may be the hot setup for cummins driver to.
I have driven Aaron's truck more times than I can count so I'll put my $.02 in here. I honestly didn't know that the 18.5cm housing was on there until a LONG time after I'd been driving his truck around on the farm and such. The lag isn't that bad at all, especially if you roll into the throttle more than just HAMMER it. EGT's are kept in check unloaded easily, however you will have to get Aaron's response on towing because I haven't hauled anything heavy with his truck. I do know that when we went to Falmouth KY last year that a 35FT Dual Tandem with his dad's 98 2500 on it had his EGT's THROUGH THE ROOF on hills!

He really does need more air.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:26 AM

Well. I dont PLAN( ) on ever going to a bigger turbo. I just want a daily driver that will beat most any stock vehicle in a race. Right now, i can hang with, if not out run most things, but i would like to be able to put a bigger margine between me and them. Also, i might hook to the pulling sled once or twice. I just want a little more than i have but dont want it to where my truck is a handful to drive daily. Thanks

Eric
Old 02-16-2005, 11:56 AM
Chapter President

Originally posted by cumminsdriver635
I know.. I know... Cant have the cake, and eat it too.

CTD NUT: So your saying i should go ahead, and keep the bigger housing if i plan on a little more fuel? It doesent hurt spoolup to much, so if you guys think it will help later down the road, then ill keep it on(dont much feel like switching it out anyway ). So 181's will give me a bigger kick in the pants than the 215's?

Dodgeman01: Well. Im figuring if timing(16.5 degrees is what im going to) lowers my EGT's 150 degrees like a lot claim, and if i go to a bigger downpipe, and exhaust, then my EGT's should be real close to 1250-1300 degrees. Then i can add some more power, and maybe not gain to much EGT wise if i go with 181's, and i should be pretty well off for me. I just want a little more power(50-60hp), and i should be happy until im ready for a bvigger turbo or something . But i think if i can get my EGT's down, 181 D.V.'s shouldnt raise them that much, and 215's shouldnt hurt much at all if i wanted to do them later.

Eric
Ok, again, keep the 16cm housing if you plan on running big dv's and injectors......depending on the plate and the positioning the 12cm will be too small with this combo......181's or 191's will give a bigger bottom end punch than a 215 injector but will not do too much for top end power and 215's will not do too much for you without appropriately matched dv's......I agree with Dodgeman, don't waste time and money on 215's, just get the 370's and be done with it!!........timing on it's own does not always cure high egt's - plate placement is still important......the added advance will just allow a little more room for a more aggressive plate position.........

Try not to work yourself into a fit of egt paranoya.......The 191/370 combo is awesome but tunable to keep egt's in check if you have at least a 16cm housing.......with some plate and timing experimentation, you will get the results you are after!......You WILL have to run 4" exhaust also!

Instead of worrying about egt's, worry about your tranny and converter!.....You will need a heavily bombed tranny and a very stout converter to have a prayer of handling the kind of torque the motor will make!........One sled pull with this combo should finish off the stock tranny/converter quickly!
Old 02-16-2005, 12:08 PM

For what you have your egts will be fine but you might need a little bigger injector to turn the bigger houseing. with all the fueling I have I can break 1200* in 3rd gear but not 1300*. in 4th I can peg my 1500* guage. when pulling a trailer I have just learned to down shift a gear and make my 4k kit do its job i just recentaly made 4 trips towing 28k pounds of hay and trailer a few month ago and the highest I hit on egts was 1300* and I was in 4th on flat ground but droped to 3rd on the hills but had plenty of pedal and room on the egt guage.
Like I said with your fueling spinning that 18.5 might be a little harder but with a set of injectors you should be fine. I think a 18.5 houseing is a great houseing but you can get under it if you let the rpms get too low. It just takes a little getting use to when pulling but for everyday driveing it is the same.
Dm01
Old 02-16-2005, 12:16 PM

Thanx for the info,SOunds like a pretty good setup for cummins driver and me to.I will have to get the clutch first though,What i have now is the limit for the stcok clutch.Whats your mileage like with your setup.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:45 PM

Thanx for the info,SOunds like a pretty good setup for cummins driver and me to.I will have to get the clutch first though,What i have now is the limit for the stcok clutch.Whats your mileage like with your setup.
I can get 20MPG over the road but around town IF I don't lay into it I can get 17-18 but any WOT runs and you can tell the guage has moved. My stock clutch gave up ar 289HP and I had a centerforce that gave up with just over 300HP.
DM01
Old 02-16-2005, 02:56 PM

Well. As i said. Tranny is before any of this, and it will probably be summer before i get anything more. Sounds like 181 D.V.'s are next, and i guess ill just have to see what i want to do with injector wise. I dont want to be to hard on my tranny even if i do build it up some. Ill have to see where EGT's are and how power is before i decide i also want injectors. My EGT's arent bad at all if i use my torque converter lockup switch to keep a 1:1 pull, where the engine isnt turning really high RPM's. I can get maybe 1200-1250 if i keep the converter locked, but it wont hold right now, so i cant lock it on hard runs but every now and then when i have to show a powerstroke who his daddy is . Definatley sounds like ill be keeping the 16cm housing. I dont mind backing the plate off at all once i get some more power. It lowers my EGT's a lot if i back it off, but it also loses power quick too. If i can get some D.V.'s in, then i can probably find a happy medium for me. It doesent have to have 1200 degree WOT EGT's. I j just want to be able to pull a load, and not worry to much about them as long as i dont have it mashed all the way to the floor. I also ordered an overflow valve the other day, and it should be here tomorrow im hoping. I want to get my tranny, and timing done, before i add any more power. I can already eat the torque converter alive in 4th if i choose to. Thanks for the info guys. Where do all of you have your plates at? Thanks

Eric

Quick Reply: injectors vs delivey valves vs EGT's