Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Injector vs box same power?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector vs box same power?

I have run a BD edge comp box for 2 years with the wire pierced, recently I installed a set of 130 hp 8 hole edm injectors and a modified HX40 turbo, when I turn the box off or even at level 1X5 it doesen't pull as hard a just the box and stock injectors. Maybe I was wrong in thinking that the injectors would give as much of a differnce as the box made? Or should I be looking into something else as a problem?
Old 10-19-2004, 09:35 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You've got a couple things happening here, both of which are related to bottom side power, that are influencing your seat of the pants dyno:

1) Most injectors alone don't change your torque curve like a box does. If you compare a dyno graph of your box, versus your injectors alone, you'll see that your box's torque curve will rise very quickly to 1800 RPM, and then slowly peak at around 2200 RPM. With injectors only, you'll see a stock style graph (only with more power) that builds to a peak at 2400 RPM and then lets off. While the peak HP may be the same as the box, the box will feel like its got more power due to the faster torque rise.

2) The HX40 turbocharger. Its spooling much slower than your stocker turbo, so again, your bottom end power will be affected. This is why you still don't feel it pull as hard, even with the box on 1x5.

The only way you can really figure out whats going on is to stick your truck on a dyno and check the peaks. I would hazard that your 130HP injectors are also not giving you everything you've been told they will. We haven't seen a set of injectors, other than Formula 1's, that truly deliver the power they promise in the literature.

Rod