Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Idle quality with mach 1.5's

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Idle quality with mach 1.5's

I bought a set of used Mach 1.5 injectors. I trust the guy who I bought them from and he has said several times that he will give me my money back if I even just decide I don't want them. So this is not a slam on him or the injectors he sold me. I am just curious about others experiances with aftermarket injectors.

I have noticed, since I installed these injectors, a distinct lope at idle. It barely makes the tach move and does not rock the truck or anything, although you can feel it. The power deliver right off idle is smooth and it starts as well as it did with stock injectors. But it definately idles different than it did and it lopes, almost like a gas engine with a high overlap performance cam.

These are some of the lower HP injectors on the market so I am wodering if these lope like this what must bigger 200-300hp injectors idle like? If it gets progrssively worse I would think drivability would decrease to the point of serious annoyance pretty quickly with the bigger injectors.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a good idle with Mach 4s (150hp). I had lope with DD2s (90hp).

Idle smoothness has a lot to do with injector balance (which Mach injectors are known to be good in).

Do you *know* for a fact that these are Mach 1.5 injectors?? Mach injectors generally have a tip that looks different than any Bosch-derived nozzle. I think I have pics in my profile showing my new M4s and my old DD2s up close.

EDIT: the pics are on my TDR profile:
http://tdr1.com/user_gallery/session...&albumid=16459

justin
Old 03-31-2006, 08:01 AM

I've got a slight lope with my 1.5's. It is an HO truck thing from my understanding. You've got more compression in the HO trucks. I let a friend borrow my 1.5's for a couple weeks before I got my new clutch and he has a SO truck. They didn't lope in his truck.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:14 AM

I've got an SO with RV275's and rough idle... but only when the motor is warmed up. Does your's do it cold?
Old 03-31-2006, 08:36 AM

it lopes warm or cold, and I have noticed its a bit louder cold than before. Like I said it is slight but definately there. Actually kind of sounds like a big rig at idle now, and fyi its a fast lope and very rythmic.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My HO loped a tiny bit with the honed injectors. If it lopes with my Mach 4s, then I don't notice it at all. Maybe the Smarty removed the lope? I dunno.

The only real anomaly with my engine is that it will "cough" when you bump the clutch (like backing out) or when the A/C clutch cycles, or even when you release the clutch in neutral.

This is just because the injectors and the Smarty really amplify even a tiny anomaly like this that was there before. The only way to eliminate it would be radically turn down the gain in the idle governor circuit, which I wouldn't really prefer.

JH
Old 03-31-2006, 09:06 AM

Hohn I can't see your pics on TDR apparently you need to be a member and I am not. Although I did notice a very different shape at the tip versus my stock ones. I noticed because when I first looked at them I noticed they had the same part number as the ones I was taking off.l
Old 03-31-2006, 10:26 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are hosed! LOL Just kidding

Send them over and let me check them out. It could be dirt, it could the pop pressure needs to be lowered or the VP pump is getting some solenoid wear.

Don~
Old 03-31-2006, 10:37 AM
Banned

My roommate had a very slight lope in his HO after he installed a set of mach 1.5's. At first he was worried. Then he dynoed 402hp. Now he doesn't care.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:38 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Don M
They are hosed! LOL Just kidding

Send them over and let me check them out. It could be dirt, it could the pop pressure needs to be lowered or the VP pump is getting some solenoid wear.

Don~
It only took you 34 min to reply... I just wanted to be in your fan club.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:43 AM

So you are saying , Don, that they should not do that? I also noticed that occasionally when engine is cold on a very light accel they will blow a big puff of black smoke. Could that be related? I just assumed it was normal since this is a change to the engine and I realize there would be tradeoffs. How do I get them to you and how much to test and adjust? If you would rather talk prices off forum I understand , just say so and give me a way to contact you and I will. Thank you very much.

!!!!!!Also, for anyone reading this do not in any way interpret this thread as my complaing or not being happy with either The guy who sold them to me or Don's injectors. Everyone says he makes the best ones and I have no reason not to believe that I have the best injectors in my engine right now. All this was just curiosity on my part since I am new to hot rodding these diesels!!!!!
Old 03-31-2006, 11:11 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont charge anyone to test and adjust injectors. So we can talk about the price, no problem. Its free.

LOL

I will PM you my address. Of course you will have to remove and replace them. Its extra work. YUK!
Old 03-31-2006, 12:08 PM

I am a ford dealership mechanic so changing injectors on my Dodge as compared to a powerstroke is so much easier it might as well be an oil change!

I feel bad that I didn't buy them directly from you though and now I am coming to you for help. I would absolutly have no problem with paying for your services. You have a reputation of making the best injectors for our trucks and having top notch customer service. It would not sully either of those rep's in my mind if you asked for a fee for this service, especially from someone like myself who bought them from the original owner, not directly from you.

Either way I very much appreciate your offer and will take you up on it. I will send them out as soon as I get your pm and I swap them out. Most likely by Monday.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:22 PM

I also have a lope, but mine is with jammer III nozzles which were not pop-tested. My truck also has a "cough" when I let the clutch out like hohn said. I was a little worried but I guess its normal.................maybe,

Or just say it is because since the day I bought the truck and put the box and injectors in it I swear the Vp's going out, I have no reason to think this except for any time I hear a new sqeak or rattle I automatically say, "well there goes 2k for a new VP"
Old 03-31-2006, 05:14 PM

mine had the little cough when it was stock--- but now with the p-pump it no longer does it.

must be a vp thing i wouldnt understand.

jake

Quick Reply: Idle quality with mach 1.5's