Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

hypertech, superchips, comp box??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 11:09 AM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hypertech, superchips, comp box??

just wanted to know everyones opinion on what would be best for me. i want the most power for the money, but don't want to spend a fortune. i don't do any towing besides a 14 ft. jon boat. i've got 4 inch straight exhaust with a 5 inch tip. other than that truck is stock with 35's. i'd really like to get a programmer so i can change tire size myself. i've heard people sing praise to superchips and hypertech. i've heard better things about superchips on this forum, but at my local truck store i was told hypertech is a better "bang for the buck" than the superchips. the guy said it puts out more power. really don't need the scanner that comes with the superchips since i have a scanner of my own. just want more power and to change tire size. also if anyone knows of a similiar product from a different company i would i like to hear about it. prices and where i could buy any of these programmers wouild help alot also. thanx
Old 06-18-2004, 12:43 PM

I have a hypertech, its a great chip for the money,

one thing i would add is if your like me. enough is never enough! you may want something with more umph. I like it and it was a big enhancement over what it was, but i find myself already looking for the next mod, (prob sell my hypertech and go with an ez comp)

for towing though it made a great improvement in milage. i honestly did see an increase in mpg towing. im actually getting more miles per fill up which i have clocked with the odometer. and i can pull a good grade with out going out of 5th gear,
Old 06-18-2004, 12:44 PM

now what i wanna know is hows the ride with those 35s? i need bigger tires for towing my toyhauler on sand but dont want to lose driveablity towing.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:17 PM
Muted User

i have 315/75r16's UNBALANCED, and it drives awesome. i had thornbirds which are bias-ply's and have almost ! inch tall treads and it rode terribly. so i had a buddy who want trade so we went over to his dad's tires shop and did the swap ourselves. i didn't feel like trying to figure out the balance machine so we left. i was surprised to how well it rode compared to the super swampers. it rubs a little at full lock but it's alright, if i had an 8" wheel instead of 10" i don't think it would rub. i'm going with 305's next time ( i think) because the scrub alot more off-road and i need more fender room. but i bought the truck with 35's on it so it feels natural to me.

does the hypertech make the truck feel more powerful without a load? can you really tell a difference? how bout better mpg without towing? did it go up as well?
Old 06-18-2004, 02:34 PM
Banned

Honestly, I'd get the Edge Comp and have the dealer change your speedo. You'll need your revs per mile for your tire (which is 599 for you). Cost is anywhere between 0-$40. I don't put much stock in the hypertech's for diesels. The edge comp is a very versatile chip. You can set it up for 60 hp. Or you can pierce the wire and have an adjustable 0-120 extra horses and you can control how soon the power comes in at on each level. Since you have an auto, I'd recommend getting the Edge Comp and leaving the pump wire unhooked. You'll get a nice 60hp/150tq boost and you'll save your tranny. If you get the urge for more, pierce the wire. Or if decide to upgrade the tranny later, you'll already have the chip to give you the extra fuel.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:58 PM
Muted User

where would be the cheapest place to get a edge chip? and leaving the pump wire unhooked would do what? make it more reliable with all the added power?
Old 06-18-2004, 03:06 PM

leaving the pump wire unhooked only gets you 60 hp.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:18 PM
Banned

It won't make it more reliable, but it will help save your tranny. Take it from someone who pierced the wire with a stock tranny. I tried to leave it on the lower levels but just couldn't resist the temptation to turn it up. Now I've got a tranny that when I floor it, it can't decide what gear it wants so it just nails the rev limiter then finally grabs a gear.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:21 PM

im really leaning towards the ez myself but my buddy has super chips and says he loves it and got a big mpg boost on top. hyper tech advertises 66 hp gains and s.c. advertises 70. i do like the idea of the scanner and all but will probably get the ez. my .02
Old 06-18-2004, 04:47 PM
Muted User

edge products are priced higher than other chips and programmers. i've found new edge comp boxes for $495 and a new hypertech for $329. 60 to 70 horespower is a big improvement and the mpg is almost more important than the power upgrade. i just want a little more kick for the least amount of money. does anyone know of web sites with cheap prices? and anyone have experience with hypertech?
Old 06-18-2004, 04:50 PM

ebay used to have gobs of em
Old 06-18-2004, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i run the superchips program. i am happy so far. i never ran any other so i cant give you a comparison. tire size and code scanning was another plus for me. i got mine off e-bay for 285.00.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:54 AM

I ran the superchips for about 6 months but i know have an edge ez. My truck runs so much better with the EZ than it did with the Superchips. The only thing I miss is have my speedo calibrated but as soon as I have a chance to get it to a dealer and get it recalibrated I will. I cant tell you about mpg increase because my miles arent correct.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:48 AM

TST Power Max 3 With remote!!!! Turn up the power as you do upgrades. I've had a PM2 for about 4 years then had to replace the clutch anyway so I sent it back to TST and they reprogrammed it and sent me a remote to chose between 0 and 9 power levels. After installing my SBC I don't need the remote just put it on 9 and pull the plug!
Old 06-21-2004, 08:48 AM

I would not get a hypertech,

Yes i noticed a jump in HP, and def a noticable gain. also i am seeing more miles per tank, If your just looking for a lil more ump
at 350bucks it was the best mod i could have done. but I want more i have a 10k toyhauler and want/needmore for pulling up questa grade, and through the salinas windy *** valley.

So my next investment will be an EDGE comp. and an EXHAUST.

hard to really say the best route, Ill say this hp aint cheap so plan on paying plenty for it.

Quick Reply: hypertech, superchips, comp box??