Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

How much is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much is too much?

I installed my Smarty this weekend and I have a question about boost. I have a "00" so it has (I belive) the HY 9cm turbo. With the smarty I can go from 0 to 21 PSI in about a second. I had planned on turnbuckling the wastegate but I am not sure how much boost I will be able to get. I don't want to blow up my baby. How much boost can I do safely?
Old 03-06-2006, 08:13 AM

The HY-35 turbo works best when limited to around 28 psi boost. They are capable of developing much more without harm to the turbo but the cost is loss of performance due to backpressure, egt increase, and heated intake charge.

Doug Smith
Old 03-06-2006, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought only the 01 & 02 CTD's had the HY-35 turbo. But if you have the "hard line" to the wastegate actuator (I assume you have looked) then must be an HY-35.
With either turbo, your within the efficiency map up to 30 psi boost. Many say the HX-35 is good up to 35-37 psi.

RJ
Old 03-06-2006, 08:15 AM

Sooooooo, do I do the turnbuckle?
Old 03-06-2006, 08:22 AM

try the turnbuckle and see where you boost goes too. If its too high you can always use a spring with it to adjust max boost.....

Doug
Old 03-06-2006, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jetpilot
try the turnbuckle and see where you boost goes too. If its too high you can always use a spring with it to adjust max boost.....

Doug
Gotch, thanks.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:10 AM

2000's have an HX-35, at least mine does. Look into a manual boost controller.

http://www.boostcontroller.com/index.php?category=35
Old 03-06-2006, 11:37 AM

i was curious about this turnbuckling. what is it, how does it work, and how do you do it?
thanks in advance!
Old 03-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Banned

Check out the pics in my gallery. I've changed it a bit since those pictures but it will give you some sort of an idea.

Basically all you do is go to your local hardware store and buy a turnbuckle or two.......I'm using 2 of them. Then all you do is hook one end to the arm on the wastegate and the other end to something sturdy and crank the turnbuckles tight. Basically all it does is prevent your wastegate from opening to let you get more boost.

~Nick
Old 03-06-2006, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Gotlift01
Check out the pics in my gallery. I've changed it a bit since those pictures but it will give you some sort of an idea.

Basically all you do is go to your local hardware store and buy a turnbuckle or two.......I'm using 2 of them. Then all you do is hook one end to the arm on the wastegate and the other end to something sturdy and crank the turnbuckles tight. Basically all it does is prevent your wastegate from opening to let you get more boost.

~Nick
alright cool so pretty much this is a ghetto version of a J-hook right . and you say that it prevents the wastegate from opening, so do you mean that it no longer functions or it opens later? just wanna clarify that.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chevysucksgas
i was curious about this turnbuckling. what is it, how does it work, and how do you do it?
thanks in advance!
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat=all&page=1

Can do it with or without the spring. I never saw the need for a spring, myself!

RJ
Old 03-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chevysucksgas
alright cool so pretty much this is a ghetto version of a J-hook right

LOL EXACTLY MAN!!! Yeah it completely disables the function of the wastegate thus allowing the turbo to build lots of boost. The only thing to watch out for is over boosting that sucker. Anything more than 32 to 34psi is not good, cuz these turbos go out of their efficiency range about there.

~Nick
Old 03-06-2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat=all&page=1

Can do it with or without the spring. I never saw the need for a spring, myself!

RJ

RJ
why is it that you don't have a spring and got lift does?
Old 03-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Banned

Oh and the only reason for the spring is if you are over boosting. Different altitudes will cause different boost readings and if you have the wastegate completely locked shut that might kill your turbo.

By using the spring, it still allows the wastegate to function, but it just holds it shut longer so you can still build the boost you want without the fear of having to much boost.

~Nick

ON EDIT: I'm not using that spring anymore, I only had that on for a few days and I took it off completely. Now i use the 2 turnbuckles and thats it, no more spring! Haven't got off my lazy butt to take new pictures
Old 03-06-2006, 04:47 PM

great! i understand now about the turnbuckle holding the waste gate closed to build boost. BUT, what is the point of a waste gate if we can hold it shut and still have everything function properly? and another thing, would it be worth doing this if i don't have a chip in my truck yet? just wondering if it will help any performance wise without any other performance mods at the time?
thanks ya'll

Quick Reply: How much is too much?