Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Holley Blue Pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 08:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Holley Blue Pump

I found out my lift pump was dead the other day when I changed the fuel filter. It would not pump anything. I don't know how long it has been like that since I didn't have a gauge. Anyway, now I have to move forward hoping I have not hurt the VP44.

I ordered a Holley Blue pump to replace it and just had a few questions on how to hook it up. I am going to mount it close to the tank. I also now have a gauge.

1. Do I need the pressure regulator that comes with the pump?
2. What size wire do I need to use to extend the stock LP wiring connector?
3. Do I need another relay in the wiring?

I have search on here about this and can't find the answers to my questions. Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks
Andy
Old 05-11-2005, 09:09 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1) you don't need the regulator

2) Primary power wire for the Holley Blue pump should be minimum 14 gauge

3) I would suggest a relay for the Blue pump should be used as does draw a bit more amperage than the Carter
Old 05-11-2005, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would not run the Blue pump by itself. You would be fine running in series with a stock lift pump, but to run it by itself is probably not a good idea. I've burnt up two and that was with a factory lift pump in series. Do you have any kind of power enhancer that's not in your sig? If you want to run a single pump by itself, then you should either go with the Holley Black Label Pump or the Carter P4601HP. I personally prefer the Carter after burning up two Holleys. If you haven't used your Blue pump yet, see if you can get it exchanged for a Black Label or your money back and check into the Carter. I'm not trying to be a salesman here, but I have a Carter 4601HP that is for sale. It has been on my truck two weeks. I use it in series with the stock lift pump and run way too high pressure and have to run a regulator. I don't want to run a regulator. I want to buy the 4600HP which is not a high pressure pump. The 4601HP is perfect by itself, and what I personally think you should go with.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the help. If I do end up going with the Blue pump what type and size relay do I need and where to get it.
Thanks again.
Andy
Old 05-11-2005, 10:32 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Use a standard 30 amp automotive relay. The 4601hp is almost exactly the same as the factory Carter lift pump with the exceptions of 3/8" pipe ports instead of metric, finer filter screen in the factory pump than the 4601hp and stud terminals on the 4601hp instead of the factory weather-tight connector.....other than those minor details, the pumps are identical in design and performance. BTW, the Carter # for the factory LP is #74213.