Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Help!!! shock installation woes!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!! shock installation woes!

I just installed rancho 9000xl shocks in the front, rears havent come in yet. After installation things just didnt feel right, i can almost feel them clunking or something. Another issue I am having is that the passenger side shock doesnt seem to fit into the lower mount very well. The uppers were tightened easily, but after tightening the lower mounting bolt on the passenger side it is able to move from side to side. Why doesn't it fit snug like the the driver's side? Could this be causing the shocks to not feel right while driving? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-13-2008, 12:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi
when i got my truck the shocks had been replaced with some yellow monroes . shocks were fine but lower bolts were woren 1/3 off one side and shock on right was clunking .
check bolts for wear and replace if not round !
also small sleve on bottom shock mount must be pinshed tightly between lower control arm sides or it will clunk !
in my case due to prevous poor instalation the control arm was slightly worn and did not pinch shock mount sleve corectly , sooo , i stuck a bar through the coil spring and hamered the control arm to seperate it slightly till i could slip a thin stainless washer in on the woren side with the shock then installed a new bolt and torqued it up .
now it is quiet !
the bolts have to be tight enough to pinch the shock mount or it will clunk .
but ! if you over tighten them you can distort the controle arm like mine and then you will have a hard time removing the shock when you need to replace it .
hope this helped ?
Old 09-17-2008, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah i just kept torquing on the bolt until i got it all pulled together, took every bit of my strength, and a good breaker bar. Now I have a whole seperate issue which I made a new thread about. Thanks for the input, I greatly appreciate it.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure if you still have this issue, but this happened to me, i lived with it for a while, then looked at it and I could tighten them back up, then I realized that when I installed them the first time the front end was not on the ground...so the axle was hanging lower, DOH if you fixed your problem then ignore this