Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Help me select turbo and mods!!!

Old 07-30-2006, 05:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me select turbo and mods!!!

Holy Cow! My wife told me today that she was going to spend up to $5000 on my truck for Christmas and my birthday! I about fell out of my chair! She has no problem buying me twins and other junk, I mean, toys! I knew I married her for a reason, other than the fact she is hot!!!

So, down to business. My current mods are in my sig. Here is what I am thinking.

1st- Edge Ez or Edge Comp
2nd- new HTB2/66 or BD twins
3rd-AFE air filter or similar (1000cfm or so)
4th- 4 inch exhaust with single stack (in the bed of cousre, not those nasty looking ones we discussed this week!)

I want a fast spool, towing power, and low egts for those long hills after slowing down for toll booths. I don't intend to pull any competition sleds or run 1/4 miles for times, but I want to be able to pull a loaded stock trailer up a hill and actually accelerate instead of losing 15mph. I don't care if it smokes or not, but I'd rather it be efficient and not waste fuel.

Can anyone chime in with their opinion (I'd prefer those that actually HAVE what they are talking about in thier truck or once had) so I can get some real feedback? There are too many options out there and I don't want to drop $4500 or so and be dissappointed.

What do you all think?
Old 07-30-2006, 05:46 PM

You'll probably need a better clutch to hold the power.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4dually
Holy Cow! My wife told me today that she was going to spend up to $5000 on my truck for Christmas and my birthday! I about fell out of my chair! She has no problem buying me twins and other junk, I mean, toys! I knew I married her for a reason, other than the fact she is hot!!!

So, down to business. My current mods are in my sig. Here is what I am thinking.

1st- Edge Ez or Edge Comp
2nd- new HTB2/66 or BD twins
3rd-AFE air filter or similar (1000cfm or so)
4th- 4 inch exhaust with single stack (in the bed of cousre, not those nasty looking ones we discussed this week!)

I want a fast spool, towing power, and low egts for those long hills after slowing down for toll booths. I don't intend to pull any competition sleds or run 1/4 miles for times, but I want to be able to pull a loaded stock trailer up a hill and actually accelerate instead of losing 15mph. I don't care if it smokes or not, but I'd rather it be efficient and not waste fuel.

Can anyone chime in with their opinion (I'd prefer those that actually HAVE what they are talking about in thier truck or once had) so I can get some real feedback? There are too many options out there and I don't want to drop $4500 or so and be dissappointed.

What do you all think?
I'd do Mach 4s, BD twins, and a fueling setup of your preference (Smarty/TST or Juice/Attitude)

Heck, even just a mild timing box and M4s (with enough air via twins) will pull anything with a hitch and legal weight up almost any grade in the US at the posted limit.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:09 PM
Registered

twins are out of your budget, clutch 900-1900 single or dual, that is first, and that's you puting it in, add 400 if your not. a ps 62 is big enough for 1500 and a drag comp for around 600, some 150 HP injectors for 300-900, intake & ex. for 700 and that will make it a MERRY CHIRSTMAS
Old 07-30-2006, 06:51 PM
RJF

Forget the Comp, I'd go with the Juice/Attitude.

A set of 100HP injectors, and a Phat Shaft 64/14.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:16 PM

are remeber you are gonna need some HG mods to hold the boost you will be putting into it

better safe than sorry
Old 07-30-2006, 07:53 PM

Personally, I'd do the stuff that's "less fun" to buy but will have to be done. Like ring and stud the head, clutch, etc. That way, when the money comes around to buying twins or a big single, you'll be all set and won't have to worry about breaking things

BTW nice coons!
Old 07-30-2006, 08:03 PM

Ph4tty laid down 492 hp with a HR VP44 mach 4's PS 64 and a SB double disk clutch. All with out having to tap the wire.

Randy
Old 07-30-2006, 09:23 PM

There is a great set of twins for sale over on the TDR. AFarmer got them from Olee Poole. Dodgezilla over B2 with external gate. No single will tow like twins. A set of studs will hold 55 psi with stock head gasket.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:53 AM
Banned

Ok. I'm getting the hang of it. Clutch first. Got it. We'll do.

Now then, someone up in Indiana told me this summer that I could add another turbo to my stock one and run twins that way. Would any of you recommend using a HX-35 with any other turbo in a dual system? Would that cut down on my initial cost or just make it worse. I'm guessing most efficient systems are 'matched' components, but I'm not looking for drag racing quality junk. I just want long term power.

Anyone recommend this?

I really appreciate your comments and help.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4x4dually
Ok. I'm getting the hang of it. Clutch first. Got it. We'll do.

Now then, someone up in Indiana told me this summer that I could add another turbo to my stock one and run twins that way. Would any of you recommend using a HX-35 with any other turbo in a dual system? Would that cut down on my initial cost or just make it worse. I'm guessing most efficient systems are 'matched' components, but I'm not looking for drag racing quality junk. I just want long term power.

Anyone recommend this?

I really appreciate your comments and help.

BD Twins

from www.homeontheroad.org, can be found cheapest there. Under 3K But im not sure you can get 700 horses from them, But RJohnson has 630 RWHP with them. Im lookin into them very seriously as my next Air mod But i need other things first. They will be the icing on my cake...

However, if you plan to build your twins, from what i have read and understood, the 35/3B combo is proven time and again, You can also go with an HX 40 on the top such as others have and still have way over 500 rwhp.

I just cannot see spending exorbitant amounts of money on twins from PDR, power by poole, haisely, schieds, etc... and what not. I seriously think a reasonable price for twins would be just that, under 3K dollars.

If you must tho, Rip Rook from sourceautomotive has a 2/3 kit as he calls it that for 2700 bucks or so (dont quote me) will add an S400 under your stock turbo and include everything needed to complete your setup, minus the exhaust manifold..

PS!! SERIOUSLY... consider valair inc for your clutch. For your power needs their clutch will seriously hold and the price is much more than fair... Please PM me for details

Rick
Old 07-31-2006, 12:16 PM

I <3 helping people spend their $$
Don't forget fuel system upgrades

How about:
Walboro kit from Glacier Diesel $370
OFE SB clutch $700
sps 62 $1800
mach 1.6 $700
smarty $650
afe $400

Already we're running out of $$ for the exhaust I don't tow but I can tell you that a smarty and a set of injectors will really wake up a HO. Then you just need to make sure you have enough clutch, turbo, fuel, and air.

I'm thinking twins and big sticks are overkill for your goals/ budget.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
I'm thinking twins and big sticks are overkill for your goals/ budget.
bingo, you need at least 6 thousand for JUST the twins (twins, o rings, HG, valve guides, decked and polished head)

then you exhaust, intake, smarty, tstpm3, mach 4's and a new vp (because it WILL go out!).
Old 07-31-2006, 12:49 PM
Banned

Thanks Ph4tty.

Should I use the smarty over the Edge Juice w/attitude? I really like the 'on the go change' and the fact I can replace my pillar guauges with the pillar mount for the attitude module. I think I'll get a clutch, then the edge (smarty?) and the AFE stage 2. Then If I need more, I can do the exhaust if I have egt probs, then do a turbo and/or injectors if I really need more. Does that sound good, or have I not caught on yet?

I can probably get the clutch, juice, AFE, injectors, and exhaust for budget. Which injectors would you all recommend for this setup that would be compatible with my stock HX35 and also be good enough for later use with a better turbo?
Old 08-01-2006, 12:21 PM

I don't have any experience with the edge boxes, but I know the HO's respond better to injectors than fueling boxes which is why I recommended injectors/ smarty. Since you already have guages you can condiser a comp box over the juice if thats the route you want to take. If nothing else this will bump ya back to the top for people to have another look.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me select turbo and mods!!!