Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Help me convince my wife to ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Question Help me convince my wife to ...

let me put a staght pipe in the truck. I really want to straight pipe my rig. Right now I have the stock downpipe, 3 1/2 inch pipe the whole way back. (previous owner changed it before I got it.) It also has this real small muffler on it. the muffler is about 12 inches long, maybe 6-8 inches in diameter. The muff has a 3 1/2 inch inlet and a 4 inch outlet which reduces back down to 3 1/2. I don't think it will get much louder if I chopped the muffler. Please help me convince her.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It will help gas mileage. You'd be amazed at how much louder it's gonna get.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:02 PM

The sound of a straight piped cummins is absolutley awesome! Your engine will breathe better, and you will have lower EGT's, and i think some make more boost, after dropping the muffler. You MIGHT get a little better acceleration, but it will be barley noticeable probably, and you also might gain just a little more MPG. The main thing you will gain is the pleasure of hearing that straight piped cummins come to life every morning. You couldnt pay me enough to make me put a muffler on my truck. It was straight piped when i got it, and it will stay that way. Just chop it off, and tell her you decided to leave it on, and she will never know. Wemen dont pay attention to stuff like that anyway for the most part. Just tell her you're going to do it, and be done with it. It probably wont make much difference in noise in the cab, but outside it will sound wicked. They are pretty loud straight piped but they sound awesome!

Eric
Old 12-19-2004, 11:15 PM
Banned

It's gonna be loud that's all I can tell you
Old 12-19-2004, 11:49 PM
Administrator

It's loud already (the way I like it). My exhaust sytem is NOT stock. It has been changed by the previous owner. There is only a puny muffler in the system now. Just need to convince the wife to get rid of it.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:59 AM

So what is the wife's reason not to do it?
Old 12-20-2004, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Straight pipe WILL be louder!

RJ
Old 12-20-2004, 11:00 AM

That "puny muffler" you're talking about is the resonator. It's a straight through piece.....you could put your hand right through it if you wanted to. When I straighted my truck, I just cut the resonator & muffler off as one and threw the straight pipe on. IMO if you leave it the way it is now, I don't think it's going to sound much different at all, and I doubt you'll notice any drop in EGT's or any gain in performance.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:06 PM

just tell her how awesome the turbo sounds with the straight pipe, that alone will convince her
Old 12-20-2004, 12:30 PM
Banned

Like moose10 said, it's just a resonator the same as a straight through exhaust. The only thing your going to gain by removing the resonator is a terrible drone at certain rpm's. The resonator does not restrict air flow
Old 12-20-2004, 12:45 PM

i ran my straight piped for a couple months, it got old. the noise was fine but the drone was very annoying. so i am with the wife, leave it alone.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:06 PM

I straight piped mine at first. Liked the sound, but when I traveled the drone drove me insane. Went to Rip's 4" w/ a Scotty II and I love it.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by Moose10
That "puny muffler" you're talking about is the resonator. It's a straight through piece.....you could put your hand right through it if you wanted to. When I straighted my truck, I just cut the resonator & muffler off as one and threw the straight pipe on. IMO if you leave it the way it is now, I don't think it's going to sound much different at all, and I doubt you'll notice any drop in EGT's or any gain in performance.
Trust me when I say that what is underneath the truck is NOT a resonator. The resonator was a lot more foward. The previous owner definetly modified the exhaust. The muffler I got now is very small, its like its a ricer muffler (non-chromed). It is loud now, the thing I am missing is the turbine whistle that comes through the pipe.

Flashdancr, my wife is worried that it will be too loud (I have heard staight piped trucks, I think she thinks it would be way louder than that). I keep tellin here that it won't get much louder than it is now. The main reason I want to do it is for the awesome diesel sound it makes plus the turbine whistle, lower EGT's.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:02 PM

Mine came straight piped and it was too loud for me...but then I'm mid 40's. I put the stock stuff back on the truck....will go 4" with muff sometime.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:05 PM

J.R. don't you know how to sweet talk that woman? Maybe what you need is a trade off: something she wants for something you want.
Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Help me convince my wife to ...