Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Heading to the strip Friday night.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Heading to the strip Friday night.

Im going to the 1/8th mile strip Friday night hopefully with a buddy who has a 6.0l chevrolet gasser with a hypertech programmer, and a K&N cold air intake. I have ran the 1/8th before(at scheid), but didnt have my gauges, or my cone K&N filter, or my transgo shift kit, and TC lockup switch. I know the gauges wont help, but i should be able to consistently launch now that i can tell my boost. Im hoping to be able to at least get in the 10's cause it is a lot faster if i use my lockup switch, and it shifts a LOT better with the transgo shift kit. It used to(when i ran before) hang all the shifts really bad, and not put any power to the ground. I also left the line at only like 1100rpm's. Now it feels like it pulls a lot harder, and when i lock the TC its gone. Im going to be running in 2wd. Anyone have any guesses on what kind of time i could run? How much boost would be good to launch at? About 8lbs maybe? Do you guys think i can beat the 6.0l chevrolet gasser? Give me any, and all ideas on what i could do to run better, and improve my times. Last time i ran a 11.6 at 58mph. Im hoping to get maybe about a 10.5 at 65 or so mph. TST says the lockup switch can shave like 4 seconds off your 0-60 times. I would be VERY happy if i got into the 9's but i doubt i can. Am i asking to much to think maybe 10.5? Thanks for any help/tips/suggestions.

Eric
Old 07-19-2004, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Launch in 4x4.
2wd launches result in spinning tires, not going anywhere fast.

Should be able to run the entire 1/8th in 4x4, as most shift out halfway down the 1/4th.

Anything more than 10psi boost you run the risk of losing your input shaft, so 8 would be good.

That's my only advice, same as was given me my first time to the track.

phox
Old 07-19-2004, 08:31 PM

Im sure i could do better if i ran in 4wd, but i think ill just do the best i can in 2wd. 8lbs of boost doesent seem to cause to much tire spinning on the road, so i think i will be fine in 2wd. Thanks for the advice though .

Eric
Old 07-20-2004, 08:19 AM

Phox

No concerns about coming out of 4x4 under full throttle? I never tried it without lifting off throttle (Idon't drag) - just sounds stressful?

RJ
Old 07-20-2004, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Re: Phox

Originally posted by rjohnson
No concerns about coming out of 4x4 under full throttle? I never tried it without lifting off throttle (Idon't drag) - just sounds stressful?

RJ
No idea.

Personally, I would think that it wouldn't shift out till you let off the throttle anyway.
Everything being nice and bound up would prevent it from shifting out.

That's how many 4x4 draggers do it, and I haven't heard of any transfer cases or front axles biting the big one.

phox
Old 07-24-2004, 04:01 PM

Well, me and the chevrolet ran pretty even, and we both had a blast. I ran 16 times, because there werent many people there at all. With my lockup switch I had a best of 10.769 if i remember right, at about 63mph. Without the lockup switch I ran around an 11.6, at 56mph. I beat the 6.0l a few times, and he beat me a few times. I raced a newer stock F-150 twice, and killed him both times . He even got the jump on me both times as far as reaction times go, and got his back bumper to about my front, but just as soon as i hit 2nd and locked it up, it was all over for him . First time i went i tried launching at 8lbs of boost. This resulted in lighting up the rear tires . So i eventually worked down to using about 1/2lb of boost or so, and i would still burn them coming out of the hole, but it was much better. I am sure that if i had used 4wd and launched at about 8lbs of boost, i could have maybe ran a 10.5. I had a lot of fun too though, which was the main thing. Talk to u guys later.

Eric