Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

he351vgt turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
he351vgt turbo

i am going to put one of these on my 12 valve and me and a friend are working on a standalone box to run the vgt part just wondering if their is any intrest in a something like this
Old 05-01-2009, 12:11 PM

I can garantee you that the 3rd Gen guys would like to get in on this also! Are you going to be able to use it as an exhaust break as well?
Old 05-01-2009, 07:51 PM

the exhaust brake part will be usable with a flick of a toggle switch
Old 05-01-2009, 08:54 PM

how do these things work? how much more power would one get out of one as opposed to the HX35?
Old 05-01-2009, 09:05 PM

What kind of HP will they support and do it cooly...
Old 05-01-2009, 11:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Ok I have a couple questions.

First is, how are you going to mount it? You have a VGT turbo yet? You do realize the flange is diffrent and going to be a ummm well a pain.

Next have you figured out a way to control the stepper motor and the onboard electronics?

I have one on the bench rite now I think I have a way to mount it figured out and the actuator will be pnumatic with WG/EB control or set to 12cm or so with a WG actuator and manual EB controller.

If you have figured out a way to control it with the stock ECU I'd be interisted in one ......and so would alot of others.

Stu
Old 05-01-2009, 11:39 PM

hey,

If you think you can get it to flow better than an 351 from an 04.5-07 than I would maybe look at it, I mean if is isnt to much of a pain to plumb.

Right now with as many people that have become familiar with the swap for the 04.5-07, I would think it would have to be very easy and flow really good for something like this to take off.

just my thoughts

NCA
Old 05-02-2009, 08:47 AM

i do have four of them thats how we are working on the controller i will build a flange on the mill to make it fit the 12 valve the turbo will spin 170,000 rpms safely boost to 45 psi and has a 5cm exhaust housing when closed and a 28 cm housing when open this thing should spool like crazy off the line and keep going when it is open and you will be able to use the exhaxust brake with this controller as well i am just looking for ppl that might be interesed in this to see if it is worth investing money in it to build it
Old 05-02-2009, 10:02 AM

my brothers already made one, but it was designed for his 3000GT. we are working on adapting it to the diesel application. but i found a way to do it that works better that doesn't involve electronics. the only down side no exhuast brake.

On a side note i found this, thats not my truck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0AbWy-4NBI
Old 05-02-2009, 10:16 AM

I think I've hit most every site dealing with this swap(till my eyes bled LOL) Dont know if you've done much research into them yet or not but a few tuner guys are running them

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/f...gt-holset.html

These really would be a great turbo for the early trucks. I'll keep messin with mine, but it'll be manual control of some sort.

Good luck with the controller and if you make an adaptor I'd be interisted in one.

Stu
Old 05-02-2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by oly_fab
I think I've hit most every site dealing with this swap(till my eyes bled LOL) Dont know if you've done much research into them yet or not but a few tuner guys are running them

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/f...gt-holset.html

These really would be a great turbo for the early trucks. I'll keep messin with mine, but it'll be manual control of some sort.

Good luck with the controller and if you make an adaptor I'd be interisted in one.

Stu
the controller my brother and i made controls electric motor directly we eliminated the controller in the turbo. i may take one and put a waste gate actuator on it like the gentleman in the video in my previous post
Old 05-02-2009, 03:33 PM

that would be fine but you have no way of controling the exhaust brake part. if you put manual control on it you cant use it maybe you dont need to but i want it so i will make it work for me it may be an option
Old 05-02-2009, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by ttcfan4476
that would be fine but you have no way of controling the exhaust brake part. if you put manual control on it you cant use it maybe you dont need to but i want it so i will make it work for me it may be an option
it wouldnt be hard to include it we would just have to tap the idle validation switch to trigger it when the manual on/off switch is activated. our will control boost also we have a potentiometer hooked up
Old 05-02-2009, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Number47
the controller my brother and i made controls electric motor directly we eliminated the controller in the turbo. i may take one and put a waste gate actuator on it like the gentleman in the video in my previous post
Very cool, I'd like to see that. Ttcfan you could have it setup for manual control and still use the EB. My plan is to have it set to 9-12cm and have a WG actuator set to 35psi to keep boost in check, but also have it so you can have manual control to close the VGT down for EB.

I was thinking something along the lines of a pnumatic system. I'd be pretty easy to setup a 12v compressor a small tank and a couple pressure sensors.

Stu
Old 05-02-2009, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by oly_fab
I was thinking something along the lines of a pnumatic system. I'd be pretty easy to setup a 12v compressor a small tank and a couple pressure sensors.

Stu
the guy in the video used airpressure like a regular wastegate so in theory if should have exhaust brake function simply by letting off the throttle and letting the boost drop off

Quick Reply: he351vgt turbo