Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Have Edge EZ, is Quad XZT+ much better?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Have Edge EZ, is Quad XZT+ much better?

As it says, I have an Edge EZ. I've been looking at the Quadzilla XZT+. The power gains aren't that different, 65hp, 180ft/lb for EZ, 65hp, 200ft/lb for the XZT+. The thing that has me thinking about the XZT+ is it has downloadable programs. Now, here's the big question - If I get the XZT+ and download the aggressive program, is it going to give me more power, or the same power, just differently? Anybody switch from the EZ to XZT+? I'd like to hear your thoughts on the two boxes also. Basically, is it worth $3XX more to upgrade to the XZT+? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:32 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel the XZT+ is much better for what you get. The Edge Ez is an excellent product. Pretty much a plug and play unit. Well the XZT+ is also a plug and play box, but you can switch it between off, economy mode (timing only) and performance mode (timing and fuel). The HP numbers are about the same as the Ez, but the XZT+ comes on a LOT sooner. It's power is very broad giving you very smooth, powerful acceleration rates. The roll power is right on tap when you need to pass.

And of course the downloadable tunes make this a slick little box. The current tunes available are for an aggressive powerful box that you WILL feel. And they are tallored towards different setups so you find what works best for your truck. I believe Quadzilla plans on many more tunes in the future.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:35 PM

I think I have somewhere around 20-25 more tunes already slated for release. I just need to finish making sure they are all good to go.

I plan on having 25-30 total options at minimum.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by qzilla
I think I have somewhere around 20-25 more tunes already slated for release. I just need to finish making sure they are all good to go.

I plan on having 25-30 total options at minimum.
I gotta say you guys give us the most bang for the buck...JMHO
Old 08-30-2007, 02:50 PM

So do the downloadable tunes produce more power than the stock tune, or do they move the power band around and keep the same power as the stock tune? Also, what kinda of smoke is the XZT+ going to produce. The EZ has a little when I take off and when I shift. I could tolerate more, but not a whole lot more.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:17 PM

THey don't really make anymore Peak HP. Now, they change the powerband, drivability, and torque curves a lot depending on what you do.

We are still limited to the peak gain like anyone else but, we are using much more sophisticated hardware to allow for a lot of tweaking to be done based on a lot of inputs we are looking at.

This allows us to have a very sensitive throttle and more smoke, or a very stock feeling throttle with almost no smoke, and everything in between.

We also have a lot of files coming that give a lot of timing options for those with injectors, big turbos, nitrous and other things.

Now, I don't claim any more peak power. If you ran an EZ and our XZT+ back to back you would bet $100 bill that we make more power and across the board you are correct but, peak to peak we will be similar.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:26 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by erics76
So do the downloadable tunes produce more power than the stock tune, or do they move the power band around and keep the same power as the stock tune? Also, what kinda of smoke is the XZT+ going to produce. The EZ has a little when I take off and when I shift. I could tolerate more, but not a whole lot more.
With the XZT+ you'll get a much more broader powerband. The seat-of-the-pants feeling you have WAY more power tham an Ez. The tune that comes with the XZT+ does smoke a little when you first hit the throttle. I have larger injectors, so I get a bit more then that even. The downloadable aggressive tune REALLY smokes on the bottem end. But the amout really is controlable. If you slamm the throttle, it'll smoke; but if you easy into it, the smoke is reduced.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:31 PM

I disconnected an Edge EZ when I installed the XZT+ and in my opinion there is no comparison. The XZT+ feels a lot stronger than the EZ did which is probably due to the wider power band. I have experimented with a number of the tuning files and there is a noticeable difference between them. I never had a problem with my Edge EZ but the broader power band and ability to change tuning files sold me on the XZT+. For me the upgrade was worth the money.

Initially I thought my EGT’s had jumped with the XZT+ but I later discovered that my wastegate actuator rod was hanging causing a loss of boost. After resolving this issue my EGT’s seem to be right in line with the EZ.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:11 PM

Well you guys sold me, I've got one on the way. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:36 AM

Hey guys not to hijack but how do you think it would compare with a VanAaken V5? I have one and it seems ok... from what I've read the power comes on lower than an EZ but if I give mine 2/3 throttle from a dead stop my power with the VA hits fairly hard @ 2100RPM. I was hoping to get more power down around 1600. I'm looking at the XZT+ too and then later going to 1.6s... and I tow.. would it be safe? Is this a wire tap box or no?

Thanks, Mike.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:40 AM

do any of the files eliminate the torque management??
Old 08-31-2007, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyM
Hey guys not to hijack but how do you think it would compare with a VanAaken V5? I have one and it seems ok... from what I've read the power comes on lower than an EZ but if I give mine 2/3 throttle from a dead stop my power with the VA hits fairly hard @ 2100RPM. I was hoping to get more power down around 1600. I'm looking at the XZT+ too and then later going to 1.6s... and I tow.. would it be safe? Is this a wire tap box or no?

Thanks, Mike.
It has a noticably better powerband. It starts sooner and holds it longer. The VA is a good box, just old technology. The new one has been compared to all of them at one point or another. What most people say is that it has the bottom end of the Smarty and the Top end of the EZ.

Not my words, those are straight from people that have tested them.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cameronc
do any of the files eliminate the torque management??
Nope and probably won't.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by qzilla
Nope and probably won't.
Is the torque management a good thing then? how about overdrive defueling
Old 08-31-2007, 01:22 PM

Any idea of about what RPM it's powerband starts? OH - and is it a wire tap box or no?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Have Edge EZ, is Quad XZT+ much better?