Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

hauling a load with dual disc clutch?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hauling a load with dual disc clutch?????

what kind of load is too much to haul with a dual disc clutch? i pull a single car hauler alot and sometimes a 30' gooseneck. wondering if it will work fine? i dont want to spend all this $ and not be able to use my truck if i need it. thanks for your advice.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:32 PM

The 'reason' to get a dual disk is to be able to still tow reliably and with high HP. High HP single disks are terrible to tow with. Recommend SBC 3250
Old 05-18-2012, 05:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I was told you can pull ALOT with a dual disc, the thing you have to watch out for is going down hills as the load is trying to push you. This will overheat/wear out the one clutch disc much quicker than the other, not sure how much truth is to that though.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to pull a 42' goose neck loaded down with tools, compact car and 2 chrysler imperial's with an SB 3600 DD.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by BILTIT
I was told you can pull ALOT with a dual disc, the thing you have to watch out for is going down hills as the load is trying to push you. This will overheat/wear out the one clutch disc much quicker than the other, not sure how much truth is to that though.
Whats the theory behind this?
Old 05-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Towing heavy or performance driving is the reason dual disc clutches were designed....in simple terms think of it this way...you have double the clutch surface area to handle the load...Downside is they grab so well that they can be difficult to back a heavy load under certain circumstances...4x4 owners often use a 2 wheel low kit to turn off the front axle and allow them to run reverse in the low gear range mitigating a lot of that problem

Still a lot really depends on the driver, some will find the clutch to be grabby while others don't.....most learn rather quickly how to handle it and it becomes a non issue.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
Whats the theory behind this?
I think it is the fact that 30k pushing the truck down a hill can overcome and slip the clutch easier than just trying to pull it alone. There is alot of momentum=torque in that much weight.

I had an older gentlemen who has hauled a fair bit tell me this, like i said though not sure how true it is.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Admin Team Leader

I think it is the fact that 30k pushing the truck down a hill can overcome and slip the clutch easier than just trying to pull it alone. There is alot of momentum=torque in that much weight.

I had an older gentlemen who has hauled a fair bit tell me this, like i said though not sure how true it is.
I have no doubt he told you that...but it just doesn't make any sense to me considering you have more clutch bearing surface to handle the load....that is a first for me...
Old 05-18-2012, 11:50 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I have no doubt he told you that...but it just doesn't make any sense to me considering you have more clutch bearing surface to handle the load....that is a first for me...
Same here. The differential torque under power from your engine at full load is 10x greater than could be applied backwards to the engine from the drive train, even with an exhaust brake.

There is a time when this happens is when you downshift and ride the clutch waiting to engage against the engine at idle. Still that amount of time is so small for most of us. I tend to rev the engine to match speed and not let the clutch do that.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:20 AM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by Lil Dog

There is a time when this happens is when you downshift and ride the clutch waiting to engage against the engine at idle. Still that amount of time is so small for most of us. I tend to rev the engine to match speed and not let the clutch do that.
I think you made a valid point here about riding the clutch....some drivers ride it way too much and that is the only time I can picture that scenario happening.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:04 AM

Sounds like a whole lot of hokum to me. My truck has 500+ hp pulling it along. The engine probably only has 50 or so retarding hp without an exhaust brake. Whats going to cause it to slip more?
Old 05-20-2012, 08:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The stock clutch in my 02 would slip,(stink) towing my 30ft 5er down a 8% grade for 6 miles with the exhaust brake on. Never a problem towing on the level or up the same grade. When I talked to South Bend, I was told an exhaust brake is a killer on clutches, especially towing heavy. They said for my power level a single disc was fine for towing (OFE), but the exhaust brake put me in the dual disc class. I went with the Dual Friction/Dual Disc. I haven't towed with it yet, but so far I love it. Very smooth.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:09 AM

Maybe not so much hokum after all?
Old 05-20-2012, 12:49 PM

I know Peter used to say he didn't like exhaust brakes due to the fact it puts the torque in the opposite rotation, and this affected the dampening springs in the hub. This is where he recommended the solid hub clutches.

Still doesn't explain why one disc would over heat and the other wouldn't in a dual disc setup.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When South Bend released the new Dual Friction/Dual Disc, they claimed the center plate would get much hotter due to being a lot thinner than the flywheel or the pressure plate. The ceramic friction surfaces against the center plate are supposed to address that problem. That all sounded logical to me, and I trust South Bend, so I will find out when I tow my 5er to Montana.

Quick Reply: hauling a load with dual disc clutch?????