Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

hard start after injector change

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet It started up no problem facing down a slight incline after about 3 hours!!! Well i'll get that little guy tomorrow the dealer around here is closed. I'll try clampin the line to double check. Thanks a lot though!
TNutcher
Old 04-16-2007, 09:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine started about 2 months after an injector install. I've tried replacing the overflow valve and that didn't help. If I park it down hill it starts up fine. Park it level or up hill and it sucks to get cranked. Don't know where the air is coming in at. I pulled the line off of the injection pump and fuel just poured out of it so I know it's not getting air in from there.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess that sometimes it is the overflow valve, sometimes it is not. My parts guy didn't even know what one was and after i found it on the screen for him, he said that he has never sold one before. It fixed my problems though. I have also heard of guys having a leaky fuel filter drain valve that lets air creep in. Big Blue, you might wanna check that, unless you really do have fuel at the VP 44 after sitting all night. Another way to check is to open the filler cap and bump the starter and wait for the LP to shut off and listen for fuel flowing back out of the overflow line, it should not flow back.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:44 PM

welp... new overflow valve did not solve the problem. they wanted 62 bucks with tax for the little bugger too.... but anyways.... still same starting condition, and fuel pressure is lower... it used to not go below 14 now drops to 10. idled at 18-19 now idles at 15-16. I don't know if the two have anything in correlation with each other?? i found 3 little bitty wet marks on my fuel hose going to the filter from the HPFP so dried them and gonna see if they reappear or just a little oil. the drain tube might be a possibility. . . i did use that when i changed the injectors to get a little diesel out to wash something. would it show any fuel leaked around it or is it possible it might just be sucking air... this whole thing surly sucks something awefull!! hope I can get this figured out lol

Oh DEMON i LOVE the jammer 5's! they pull very very hard in the right gear and my mileage has improved a bit astonishingly enough! 1/2 mile per gallon better anyways haha

TNutcher
Old 04-18-2007, 10:25 PM

anyone have anything else that they think might help lead me in the right direction??

A question on the install of the injectors. I didnt really pry down on them but i tightened the hold down deals over them to torque spec or a lil over (hand... ) but do the hold downs hold the injector down all the way where its supposed to be?? i thought it was an of course they do answer but starting to second guess it all now....

Thanks,
TNutcher
Old 04-24-2007, 12:09 AM

WHOO HOO!!!!!!
FINALLY it starts fine! I found a post on TDR that the guys says he had the same thing (search keyword downhill starts) and he had written that it was either supply line fittings, or return line fittings or injectors/connector tubes/injector lines or this little t fitting at the way way back of the block that has i suppose compression fittings that connects the VP overflow with the fuel from the block. Well i checked the T fitting and they were kinda lose... i think a 5/8ths took care of that with your knees sitting ON the intake horn (amazing the positions you can get into when doing something like this.... lol) but that only made it better, not fixed. so off with the valve cover and re did the injector instal. used vasaline on the orings and connections and made sure to finger tight the 3/4 line/ crossover tube nuts and the 8mm injector hold down bolts. then, alternating between the two snug them down until they are tight to ensure a good connection between all the high pressure stuff. # 5 injector had weird burn marks on it which indicated it possibly not being sealed in the head right and also causing a leak. Btu yeah it starts right like it should every time now. Thanks to all you guys who helped get me pointin in the right direction!!!!
TNutcher
Old 04-24-2007, 12:15 AM

Wow, now we are all wondering which of those 5 different things was/were causing the leak.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:48 PM

haha yeah. Well i believe it was mostly the injectors not being seated JUST right with the connector tubes/ lines. The little T at the end of the block was probly just a little part because after doing that it would start the same as before but it would take longer after sitting for it to not start and have the same symptoms again.

Thanks again!

TNutcher
Old 04-27-2007, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, what is the mopar # of that over flow valve? Sound like something I should try!!
Old 06-06-2007, 09:01 PM

Mopar # for overflow valve is 5011824AA.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:40 PM

I got charged just under 70 for it. . . they sure are pretty proud of that little bugger. . .
TNutcher