Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

GPS Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 05:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GPS Navigation

Does anybody use it?
I have a DeLorme receiver that plugs into my laptop, works great. The only down side is that the lap has to sit on the center console, I strap it down for safety, but the extra features of trip planing, magnification, address to address routing are worth it. Has points of interest, even gas stations.
It also shows speed, very accurate too, elevation, bearing, etc.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:18 PM

I use a Garmin GPSMAP 60CS. Color screen, built in altimeter and compass and auto-routing. Upgraded from a Garmin eTrex Vista. I hardly leave home without it. Stays in the center console and comes out when I need it. I use a mount from these guys Ram Mount. With the ram mount system, I pull it out of the truck and put it on the handle bars of my ATV and away I go.

~whereami?Rob
Old 12-20-2004, 08:04 PM

I too use GPS sometimes. I bought the Delorme 3d Topo Software. I hook up my Garmin Etrex to my laptop plug the laptop into my little inverter, and away I go. It is great for finding remote properties and cruising all of the backroads. I really like getting from point A to point B by back rads.

Hondo
Old 12-20-2004, 08:05 PM

Oh yeah,

I just wish that I had a good solid mount for the laptop.

Hondo
Old 12-20-2004, 08:15 PM

You need one of these:

http://www.trissellcomputers.com/jotto_chrysler.htm

I had a DeLorme GPS receiver for my laptop, worked alright, but I never used it much 'cause I didn't like having my laptop setup on the armrest or GF's lap... so I sold it on eBay... I just ordered a Dell GPS Receiver for my PDA, should have it wednesday! It looks like it comes w/ a mount that suctions to the window, so we'll see how it is! Merry Christmas to me!

Tony
Old 12-20-2004, 08:22 PM

I wish I had the patience to teach my wife how to use my unit (ya'll stop smirking). It would be much easier if she could be the navigator and me the driver, instead of me doing both.

~Rob
Old 12-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Banned

Originally posted by hotdram
I wish I had the patience to teach my wife how to use my unit (ya'll stop smirking). It would be much easier if she could be the navigator and me the driver, instead of me doing both.

~Rob
For whatever it is worth: find the time and patience, I did, it is great, and now that she is the navigator, she is proud of it too. My wife does not drive, but this way she feel that she is also contributing to the trip. I am just glad for her company...
Old 12-21-2004, 11:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Garmin StreetPilot 2620 here - it works as well or better (in terms of the mapping database) than the Alpine DVD-based OEM nav system in my Acura 3.2TL-S.

Rusty
Old 12-21-2004, 08:34 PM

I recently bought the 2620 myself, its a cool toy
Old 12-22-2004, 06:50 AM

I just got an Compaq IPAQ 3100. I installed Pocket Streets and Trips on it. I am going to get a nice little Bluetooth GPS receiver and just hook the power up in my Ipaq. A good size screen. It will tell me where I need to go with no problem. No need to navigate. I would preload a trip from my laptop and I will just follow the directions.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
next years project is to install a 6" or 7" LCD where the 2 vents are, I'm gonna build a housing for it and hopefully hook up GPS, DVD, cameras and engine info
Old 12-22-2004, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Diesel Dude...what's up with stealing my Jeep??

J/K

I've got the Mopar RB1 in my Rubicon. It's a pretty cool Nav unit. I tried to install it in my Ram, and yes I did get it to fit (didn't look half bad either). Bought the adapter harness mounted the GPS antenna and guess what? It didn't work. The 2500/3500 up to 2002 does not have the correct data buss to run the RB1. Very dissappointing.

So now I'm running the CD player that came in the Rubicon in the Ram. I put the RB1 back in the Jeep.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:50 PM

Kinda thought thats what it was. I think mine looks a little better tough.

/l , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)------)_)

Thanks
Old 12-23-2004, 05:06 AM

I bought a Garmin 176c last year. Love it. It's for my boat and truck. Now I"ll just have to find somebody I dislike to give my old Magellan 3000 to.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:55 AM

I have recently purchased a Magellan RoadMate 700. The jury is still out on my complete acceptance. The SAT aqusition is very fast, redirect on a "wrong" turn is almost immediate.

Cons - I think - On a long trip I have not found an easy way to avoid a place. The exclusions feature works but simply reroutes. I like to avoid Flagstaff (I40) in my travels.. The system wants to route me that way (W on I-10) when I would like to go East from Casa Grande. I guess a myrid of short trips will probably be the solution.

It attaches to the windscreen with an included arm and vacuum cup. Includes USB cable, 110V adaptor and Manuals on CD and Hard copy.

Not much - none - technical stuff.. like how to load address from my had held with IR. Supposed to be able to do same.

I'll keep you posted. -- (comes loaded with NA and Europe - muct purchase unlock key for Europe.

Cheers Frank

Quick Reply: GPS Navigation