Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Goerend Trans

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have his VB/ in my 98 just wondering if i could buy just the kit (maybe cheaper) and do it myself on my 97
Old 12-29-2005, 10:21 PM

I put the transgo kit in mine, and it wasnt that big of a deal. It was more intimidating than anything. It helped out quite a bit, and if its a stock truck, then i wouldnt hesitate a bit to put it in it, but i need more line pressure in mine now, so i am going with a full VB soon. Im really glad i put the transgo($50 on ebay) in mine, and i personally believe that if i hadnt had it in there my tranny would of already been toast. It helped a lot.

Eric
Old 12-29-2005, 10:36 PM

I had the transgo kit in mine before the vb also. I didnt really like the shift points. Actually the transgo runs higher pressure then Daves set up off idle but Daves ramps up much faster and has a higher WOT pressure. I want to say transgo is 90-140 and daves is 60-170 psi. I could be off, but something like that.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:51 PM

I am running Daves tranny and have been for about 80k miles. In my opinion you can't beat Dave. Great guy and will bend over backwards to help you out. I am running the triple disk full meal deal from Dave minus the billet shafts. I am at a little under 450 horses and am very happy w/ the tranny.
Pay a visit to St. Lucas Iowa and get Dave to let ya drive the golf cart.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:13 AM

oh man went for a ride in then drove crimedogs CTD today with a goerends trans with a triple disk and holy----- is that the trans i am going with as soon as i get the money. what a difference in performance from stock i was dumbfounded. go with dave you wont be disappointed
Old 12-30-2005, 01:10 AM

Your close. Dave told me the transgo at WOT was 130psi, and his was 180psi i believe. Off idle that transgo has more like u said, but that doesent really matter. Im sure i would/will be much happier with a built VB instead of this shift kit whenever i do the switch.

Eric
Old 12-30-2005, 01:34 AM

I can't believe someone dug this one up.....I've been running this trans for almost two years now.

Dave does some tricks to the VB that you won't find in the Dunrite or Trans-Go kits....smooths out the shifts at all throttle positions. I told dave that I thought the 2-3 shift was awful harsh under light throttle, and he sent me another one on his dime.

Well worth spending the extra dough to have Dave work it over, he dyno's it afterward to make sure it works like it's supposed to.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:36 AM

so how far is everyone takin the single disk converters? im harsh on the tranny, but i also have 280,000 miles on a stock tranny. has anyone had a problem with slipping the clutch packs? or is it just the converter cause i really dont want a new tranny cause $$$$, im wondering if i can get away with just a converter and VB? Dave is a great guy to talk to, he called me on his own personal time and we talked for like an hour.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:57 AM

I can slip my converter(Goerend Single) a little in overdrive, but i think it will hold a lot better with his valve body.

Eric
Old 12-30-2005, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by 4doogie
so how far is everyone takin the single disk converters? im harsh on the tranny, but i also have 280,000 miles on a stock tranny. has anyone had a problem with slipping the clutch packs? or is it just the converter cause i really dont want a new tranny cause $$$$, im wondering if i can get away with just a converter and VB? Dave is a great guy to talk to, he called me on his own personal time and we talked for like an hour.

So far you've gotten 100K more out of you stock trans than I did.....I'd think at 280K you'd be wasting money on a TC and VB. With that many miles on the seals and clutch packs you'll never see the true potential of the VB and TC.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by cumminsdriver635
Your close. Dave told me the transgo at WOT was 130psi, and his was 180psi i believe. Off idle that transgo has more like u said, but that doesent really matter. Im sure i would/will be much happier with a built VB instead of this shift kit whenever i do the switch.

Eric

yeah your right..the problem withthe high off idle pressure is it makes the 1-2 shift occour too fast and thats what I didnt like about it. It shifted 1-2 at about 6mph on light throttle. The lock action is much quicker with dvaes also. Barely a second once it starts to lock where then transgo would take about 2-3 seconds for the OD lock action to occur. Daves VB are perfect imo
Old 12-30-2005, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cowhand
So far you've gotten 100K more out of you stock trans than I did.....I'd think at 280K you'd be wasting money on a TC and VB. With that many miles on the seals and clutch packs you'll never see the true potential of the VB and TC.

I agree...with that kind of power though you could have a local tranny guy do the build and put in Daves VB and converter. With some of daves internals. Shipping gets crazy on this stuff thats why I didnt do a full GB tranny, but Dave sent us what we needed and my tranny is awesome. No slipping at all and shift points are exactly where I asked them to be...I was picky too and Dave got it on the first try.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dave and his technician?? Craig are tops in my book!! I have been mulling this tranny thing over for a year or so now, I spoke with all of the big 5 if you will and finally decided to go with Dave. Some of the other tranny guys out there have ego's that are probably bigger than their pants are . Some others didn't want to spend the time to explain things to me and were not forthcoming with the info that I felt I needed to make and educated decision. Dave on the otherhand called me over the Thanksgiving holiday and spent over an hour with me talking about what he does to the transmission and the valve body. I went with Dave and will be using him soon when I do my next one!!

The other thing that I really like about Dave and Co. is that I told him I wanted to build this thing myself-I have been building my own 727's for years and he agreed to work with me. I had his tech? Craig on the phone unitl 10PM one night just because I was having trouble getting one of my clearances "just right"-we worked it and and all is well. I had Dave on the phone Christmas eve day for a "sensor issue" that I had. We worked it out. Tranny is in the truck and puts the power down like a champ and the shift points are just awsome. I just finished this project up yesterday and have a few minor details to take care of, but at this point I can tell you that I am extremely happy with the service and support from this group of guys at Goerends Transmissions!!

One of you was asking about the "modified Dun Rite" shift kit, Dave uses most of the kit but has a few things that he does differently. And you can buy the kit from him sperately.

If you guys are reading this Dave and Craig--THANKS

McMopar (Phil)
Old 12-30-2005, 10:25 AM

One of you was asking about the "modified Dun Rite" shift kit, Dave uses most of the kit but has a few things that he does differently. And you can buy the kit from him sperately.
thank you sir...do you know the price?
Old 12-30-2005, 11:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't quote me, but I beleive it is about 125 or so. I bought a bunch of other stuff and can't remember for sure.

Quick Reply: Goerend Trans