Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Getting one up on Scotty....

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting one up on Scotty....

Though I would share my custom intake with yall... I wonder if there is any cooooooooollllll air out here <br><br>
Old 05-13-2003, 05:10 PM

Re:Getting one up on Scotty....

Another....
Old 05-13-2003, 05:12 PM

Pipeing....
Old 05-13-2003, 05:13 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

How much water will that thing suck up when it is raining? Also will it plug up quick from the bugs hitting it?
Old 05-13-2003, 05:17 PM

I'm not trying to knock your setup but I was running the aFe Megacannon and it got splashed with water pretty good and the water forced oil into the turbo...nasty mess &gt; I would imagine you'll get your share of water with it up front like that.

FWIW.....
Old 05-13-2003, 05:23 PM

DUDE, that is cool!!! 8) <br><br>I think you might run into the problem mentioned already <br><br>Andrew
Old 05-13-2003, 05:33 PM

I think that piping is going to suck in the heat and neggate the whole thing.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good idea,

Have you had any problems with the flexible hose sucking shut (or deforming) under heavy fueling or high rpms?

Rich.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:55 PM

As for the questions... the hose is strong enough to stand on without colapsing..... Heat soaking of the piping is neglegible considering the volume of air getting sucked through that HT3B... as for the water... I contacted AFE and they said that most of any water that would hit the filter would bead onto the wire mesh.... When raining the only water that I would have to worry about would be spray since the filter is covered from the top... since the piping makes about a 1ft journey straight up I am not in the least worried about hevy amount of water making it into the HT3B even If i poured 5 gallons straight into the thing. As for the small amount of water vapor that could find its way there that would only result in lower EGTs ;D
Old 05-13-2003, 05:57 PM

Last pic of the front....
Old 05-13-2003, 06:01 PM

I forgot to post my results.... Aprox. 100 degree drop while WOT at 70mph. And cool down time were cut 2 to 3 times... Not that amazing when under the hood temps can reach 200 degrees :'(
Old 05-13-2003, 06:21 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

In 97 you would've had a one up on me if you did it prior to June 1st. ;D

Heres a few things to consider with the position of your filter.

- at speeds over 45 mph you will have less cfm of flow then a filter mounted in a stock air box due to the slip stream/ vacuum the air creates when bouncing off the front of the truck, down onto the road and mixing with the turbulent air at that point.

- Hot air rises, from the road, tires and the bottom of the radiator directly to where something is asking for air.

- A cone shaped filter is less efficient then a panel set up in that position, hint hint.

I would seriously look at taking this to a shielded panel intake down there with a flange to help catch some of that air that is flying past in that slip stream. I bet you'd see a poopload of egt reduction and 4-6 psi of boost.

Been there and done that and my cone filters were beat to crap by the turbulent air and they got very very dirty real fast.

I would not want you to experience a ruptured filter and have your turbos inhale unfiltered air or cotton or wire mesh.

Big heads up here for ya Buttering Ram.

Its more like a one down than a one up since its lower on the truck then my Scotty systems. :P

Old 05-13-2003, 07:36 PM

Whats the blue hose going off of your turbo for? Don't they normally go to the wastegate.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:23 PM

Hey Scotty..... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P<br><br>Dont worry I didn't really plan on getting 1 up on ya... but I do believe this is the best position for the size filter I need to run for the twins. My underhood heat was so bad that the wire mesh around the AFE was almost too hot to touch with your bare hands . I had to do something, we are just now having 90+ degree weather and I could barly get my truck to cool down to under 400 degrees after several min of idle time. Now it goes straight to 300 in a bat of an eye! The turbulance thing might be a factor but getting that filter out from underneith that oven was my priority. With the EGT drop I have seen I know this is much better than it was. <br><br>StillPlow'n: Yes that blue hose goes to my 42mm external wastegate.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:24 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

[quote author=Battering Ram link=board=7;threadid=14681;start=0#137808 date=1052875392]<br>Hey Scotty..... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P<br><br>Dont worry I didn't really plan on getting 1 up on ya... but I do believe this is the best position for the size filter I need to run for the twins. My underhood heat was so bad that the wire mesh around the AFE was almost too hot to touch with your bare hands . I had to do something, we are just now having 90+ degree weather and I could barly get my truck to cool down to under 400 degrees after several min of idle time. Now it goes straight to 300 in a bat of an eye! The turbulance thing might be a factor but getting that filter out from underneith that oven was my priority. With the EGT drop I have seen I know this is much better than it was. <br><br>StillPlow'n: Yes that blue hose goes to my 42mm external wastegate.<br>[/quote]<br><br> :P

Quick Reply: Getting one up on Scotty....