Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Gauge questionnnn

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauge questionnnn

so im not sure what gauges to get, I mean I know pyro, boost and tranny temp. but what brand? are max tow gauges good? not trying to spend alot
Old 10-28-2015, 08:31 PM

Don't go too cheap, some things are worth spending a little extra for. False readings or having to replace cheap gauges will cost you more in the long run. I like auto meter but there are lots of options. Depends on what features you want. Just make sure you buy from a reputable company and use caution on eBay specials.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:33 PM

And typically mechanical gauges will do better then electronic ones
Old 10-28-2015, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Flatbed24v
And typically mechanical gauges will do better then electronic ones
So I shouldn't go with the max tow gauges?
Old 10-28-2015, 09:08 PM

I have no experience with them to tell you one way or an other. All I can say is do research on them and read review and feel confident in your purchase.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Flatbed24v
I have no experience with them to tell you one way or an other. All I can say is do research on them and read review and feel confident in your purchase.
Sounds like I need to grab a beer and sit in front of the computer for a few hours.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by bigcu
Sounds like I need to grab a beer and sit in front of the computer for a few hours.
Exactly!!!!
Old 10-29-2015, 09:31 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Autometer, Isspro, anything Geno's garage sells is safe.

You get what you pay for. I saved up for mine rather than get junk....
Old 10-31-2015, 04:35 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Confirming those who have already given great advice..... Stay away from cheap. If you're not sure about quality then Google the gauge and/or manufacture and see what others say. That said, I have heard very little good things about GS gauges. People like them because they're perty and cheaper but there's just way to many threads about them.

Gauges are just no where to scrimp. Sure aesthetics are important but accuracy is top priority as there is ZERO reason in having a gauge you cant trust.

The best companies are generally ISSPRO, Autometer, Dipricol, Dakota Digital, Westach, and a couple others I cant think of right now. I dont think there's a difference anymore with mechanical or electrical since electrical has come a long ways. No matter what you choose though, you absolutely MUST use a snubber device for the fuel pressure gauge.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:17 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by bigcu
So I shouldn't go with the max tow gauges?
I have a max tow fuel pressure gauge, it's going by by. The problem is it is too sensitive. Any throttle change other than v e r y slow, it goes crazy for a while. Seems to get worse at higher engine RPMs.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My truck had an autometer z series boost and pyro when I bought it. I immediately wanted to add a Fuel Pressure gauge so I went with a matching mechanical autometer from Geno's. It came with an isolator and i purchased the Vulcan universal fuel line to attach it at the VP44 pressure test port. Working with Geno's is always great and I got the gauge in a timely manner. It was fairly easy to install except for the coolant side of the isolator and gauge. It is a giant pain in the butt getting that thing filled with coolant and all the air out! If I had it to do over I think I would go with an electrical gauge just for simplicity sake. I know people have problems with the pressure spikes from the VP44, but I think as long as you use a snubber, or maybe two as i believe I heard Katoom suggest in the past, you should be fine. My gauge also reads about 2 psi low compared to my Vulcan test gauge, also from Geno's. I attribute that to the isolator but I'm not sure if that is correct or if one of the gauges is just a little off. Oh also, I think the ISPRO gauges match factory a little closer if that is important to you.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-01-2015, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
I went with the ISSPRO EV series gauges for two reasons; great reputation and they match the closest to the instrument panel gauges (black face with red pointers). I installed them in 2006, and only have had two problems.

1st problem was the amp box for the pyro probe died (2007) but was warrantied so I got a new amp box. EGT gauge has been fine since.

2nd problem is of no fault to the gauge, more my own problem. The mechanical fuel pressure gauge will buzz and vibrate occasionally when the line accumulates too much diesel in it. I have to blow out the line and it goes back to normal. I really should install a snubber. The fuel pressure gauge I installed in 2004, and has held up to the vibrations remarkably well.

bigcu, you should buy 4 gauges. EGT, boost pressure, transmission temp, and fuel pressure.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:10 PM

Can't say I'm to impressed with Westach combo gauge I got from Genos. Pyrometer gave out recently, but the boost electronics never worked right. Every time the system voltage fluctuates, the gauge gets confused and fails to function. Sometimes does it when the grid heater cycles, but often when I operate the exhaust brake.

A $300 gauge set shouldn't lack a 3 cent capacitor.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:02 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by totalloser
Can't say I'm to impressed with Westach combo gauge I got from Genos. Pyrometer gave out recently, but the boost electronics never worked right. Every time the system voltage fluctuates, the gauge gets confused and fails to function. Sometimes does it when the grid heater cycles, but often when I operate the exhaust brake.

A $300 gauge set shouldn't lack a 3 cent capacitor.
Interesting. Did you talk to Westach or Genos about this?
Old 03-09-2016, 11:38 PM

No. And it's entirely possible the pyro wire got damaged at some point from under-hood tinkering. I put a NC momentary on the side of the pod to reset it when it goes walleyed. Still *really* unimpressed that the boost electronics are so sensitive to voltage fluctuations.

Quick Reply: Gauge questionnnn