Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

G.S.K. through top or side?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G.S.K. through top or side?

I want to do it and the side sounds like a safer way. which is best? going in the top or side? and are there any special tools required?
Old 02-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Banned

I went through the side, it was a pretty easy install although being a tad time consuming. Your best friend will be a pencil magnet, other than that no special tools or anything...
Old 02-07-2007, 06:04 PM
Banned

I vote for the side.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:16 PM

Side gets my vote. I have done 4 or 5 through the side with no problems what so ever. I dont see how you could go through the top honestly. You would be working with magnets and screwdrives the hole time, where as you can get to it a little with your hands from the side.

Eric
Old 02-07-2007, 06:18 PM

i would vote for side.... much easier to see i think as its "right there" and no chance of dropping anything.

also another recomendation that i didnt see in any of the right ups for doing it...

either jack up the drivers side so the tire is a good 6" off the ground or pull the wheel off the passenger side and lower it down.

because when you do it form the side and take the cover off to get to the springs.... you end up draining most of the oil out of the bottom of the pump.. goes all down the side of the block and onto the floor, makes a big mess.

reason i said maybe lower passenger side is because jacking the drivers side just puts you that much higher up off the ground and the trucks are already high enough that they become hard to work on.

a good magnet is a good idea and also a decent pair of need nose pliers for twisting the nut back onto the springs... because it clicks after each rotation, i couldnt figure out any other way to get it on.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Muddin_dude06
I went through the side, it was a pretty easy install although being a tad time consuming. Your best friend will be a pencil magnet, other than that no special tools or anything...
I did the same

remove the throttle arm CAREFULLY if you go thru the side. It is antimony and tough to weld if you break it. That will save u alot of headache if you decide to do the GSK thru the side.. Remove your driver side battery and your intake hat and tube as well...

Havin done both, the side is my preference... Top for adjustments tho...

As stated. Pencil magnet is your best friend..

Rick
Old 02-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Banned

side + pencil magnet!
Old 02-07-2007, 08:12 PM

Go ahead and start from the top. Then when you drop something in and can't get it out then break the tip off of the cheap magnet you can go in though the side. Sorry had to vent and relive that one.

Go in from the side first and it will go alot better

The top is easy later if you need to make any minor adjustments.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TxDiesel007

Havin done both, the side is my preference... Top for adjustments tho...

As stated. Pencil magnet is your best friend..

Rick
I agree with Rick, go through the side, use a pencil magnet, and adjust from the top
Old 02-07-2007, 11:14 PM

hey does someone want to explain to me what the gsk is because my dad has a 97 12v with a number 10 plate and wants somthing else i was jsut wondering what this gsk is that everyone has and where and how is it installed thanks
Old 02-07-2007, 11:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the gsk is a GOVERNOR SPRING KIT you can get it as 4000 rpm GSK and 3000 rpm GSK.

it really wakes the truck up, and makes it pull well past 3000 rpm, but doesnt increase hp just gets a wider power band.

you can get it at piersdiesel.com instructions to install are in the tech area!

go throught the side.... and to adjust thighter or looser, from top!
Old 02-08-2007, 02:55 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by 12valve

it really wakes the truck up, and makes it pull well past 3000 rpm, but doesnt increase hp just gets a wider power band.
Sorry to have to contradict- the GSK will make more horsepower because even though it doesn't increase torque it will let the engine go full torque up to higher rpm. (Where it does usually defuel)
It's an extremely nice mod because you get around the sloppy TC of the stock auto and have a good chance that the auto still holds the power- but you can get into EGT troubles quickly if you don't increase boost accordingly.

I prefer to go in from the side and use a mirror wedged in there and a good work light to actually see what's in there. I welded half a washer (cut to a half moon)to a screwdriver to have a tool to turn the nuts of the governor springs.
I'd soak the side of the pump with penetrating oil a day before going in and clean up really good before removing the plug. Any kind of dirt in there can have nasty consequences.

HTH

AlpineRAM

Last edited by AlpineRAM; 02-08-2007 at 02:59 AM. Reason: forgot to answer the original question :)
Old 02-08-2007, 03:01 AM

Ill have to agree with alpine ram. I went from 246hp to 281hp with the GSK being the only real change.. I know it made a huge difference in how the truck ran.

Eric
Old 02-08-2007, 06:31 AM
Banned

it definately helps power... with no other changes besides going from a "pump shop 3k setup" to a 4k kit, the truck became downright violent and will now blow through the clutch. I bet I picked up at LEAST 50hp/100ftlbs
Old 02-08-2007, 07:32 AM

i have done it both ways at least 5 times each. the side is so much safer that i quit putting them in from the top. it is a pain fishing out washers and keepers when one drops, when doing it from the top.

Quick Reply: G.S.K. through top or side?