Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fuel pickup tube

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pickup tube

Just kind of thinkin out loud here... but, When installing fuel systems such as the f.a.s.s. etc... a larger pickup tube is installed in the tank. This requires either removing the bed, or dropping the tank. What would be wrong with placing the pickup tube in the bottom of the tank, or in the side towards the bottom. Seems like this method would save a lot of time and effort and be just as effective.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36..........Just had to tell you love this verse!! It's so true!!

Now on your question.......the only problem I see (not even sure if it would be a prob.) is gravity, if the tube in in the bottom or on the side it seems some fuel would always be in this tube, just doesn't sound good to me, but what do I know? We pulled the bed when I changed my fuel pump to a FASS........also replaced the drawstraw. Take care and let us know how it turns out.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:42 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Teddy Bear
Just kind of thinkin out loud here... but, When installing fuel systems such as the f.a.s.s. etc... a larger pickup tube is installed in the tank. This requires either removing the bed, or dropping the tank. What would be wrong with placing the pickup tube in the bottom of the tank, or in the side towards the bottom. Seems like this method would save a lot of time and effort and be just as effective.
Well it wouldn't save you work. You'd still need to get this thight, even more work with the fuel always sitting on the fitting where it crosses the tank. If you want something reasonably stable you need a nut or holding plate on the inside of the tank and you will have to drop the tank, empty it and mount the part. So IMO a draw straw is much less work and a good bit safer. (If the holder breaks it will just let some air and eventually gunk into the tank instead of fuel leaking out)
A bottom valve will not net you any more pressure because as long as the draw straw is tight the pressure will only be determined by the relation between fuel level and heigth of the feed pump. (That's for static pressure) Under flow if you've got a big enough draw straw you will have enough flow.

Just my 2c

AlpineRAM