Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

free GSK for the p pump bunch

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure most are thinking, man, that guy needs to give his wrenchs away. And I'm starting to agree. Went out this am, pulled the plug on the side of the pump, in about 30 sec. of fishing with the magnet, had the washer.

I removed the 1/2 washers, checked the od, 1.030, so, found a couple of 3/8 washers, .95 od., drilled the holes to about .510, fit on the retainer stud was fine, installed, set both studs to 50 thou, reassemblied, cranked, idle was ok, gave a bit of fuel and it auto idled up to 2k. Shut down, just as a test, added two clicks, still auto fast idle (with just a bit of throttle pressure) to 2k and above. Shut down, getting a bit of lunch.

Next step, I'll pull 4 clicks off and see what happens.

Question, what happens if you start the engine up with the plate out and afc off, just wondering if I can save the constant install/remove cycle while tuning.

Thanks, RR
Old 05-03-2006, 01:47 PM

maybe its doing that because you already have a 3K governor spring kit? I think this mod is better for guys with stock springs, who knows.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:59 PM

Northslope or anyone else in the know, can you answer my question on the throttle adjustment on page 4?
Old 05-03-2006, 02:11 PM

will this be just as good as doin a 3k gsk???
Old 05-03-2006, 02:33 PM

Lance, the truck I'm working on is someone elses stock 97 5spd. Well it was stock, now sports a 10 plate and gauges.

I've tuned things to the point that I can see the potential of this mod. However, at this time (after 8 hours labor) I'm not able to get this truck to the point that I can turn it over to the owner. So it's back to stock on the governer springs.

I've taken a total of 4 clicks off each spring (this time, since lunch that is) and lowered the idle to the point that there are no problems once off idle, great response, drops back to idle. But,,,,,,,the idle speed is only about 400rpm, raise idle to 700 or so and it either hangs at 2k, or has a very slow return back to idle. Neither of which is acceptable.

So, I'll finish the gauge installation, that and the newly installed 10 plate along with running the valves, and installing new starter contacts is gonna be it on this one.

To anyone considering this, I recommend it. While I'm not able to sort things on this truck, other have had great success and it's a heck of a lot cheaper that the spring kit. I'll likely try on another rig and see how that goes.

RR
Old 05-03-2006, 02:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by moparguy
Lance, the truck I'm working on is someone elses stock 97 5spd. Well it was stock, now sports a 10 plate and gauges.

I've tuned things to the point that I can see the potential of this mod. However, at this time (after 8 hours labor) I'm not able to get this truck to the point that I can turn it over to the owner. So it's back to stock on the governer springs.

I've taken a total of 4 clicks off each spring (this time, since lunch that is) and lowered the idle to the point that there are no problems once off idle, great response, drops back to idle. But,,,,,,,the idle speed is only about 400rpm, raise idle to 700 or so and it either hangs at 2k, or has a very slow return back to idle. Neither of which is acceptable.

So, I'll finish the gauge installation, that and the newly installed 10 plate along with running the valves, and installing new starter contacts is gonna be it on this one.

To anyone considering this, I recommend it. While I'm not able to sort things on this truck, other have had great success and it's a heck of a lot cheaper that the spring kit. I'll likely try on another rig and see how that goes.

RR
are you sure your pump isnt damaged on the inside? i have seen at an injection shop, a p-pump that broke apart, (the wall, just under where the governor springs are) only cuz of dropping a fuel adjustment screw in there... and leavig in in there...then driving.

and i once bent a retainer stud, be not adjusting the nut tight enough, so it hit somewhere something in the pump. but i could bend it back. now it works terrific.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by gunracer1
Governor Washer Kit

hey 1st of all, thanks to gunracer1... Your invention is awsome!

i did this simple mod today, on my 98 12 valve 215. Installed them, started the truck up, and it idled slightly slower,
(which was my intention, of letting the nut a 1 0r 2 clicks looser, cuz i have seen some year 98 trucks, to start longer, cuz the govs are to tight, and you dont want it to idle 1000 rpm, just to start w/o pressing the pedal.)

i felt the padle, twas kinda touchy, (i am used to 4K GSK though) on empty it easily revs up to 4000 RPM and it pulls hard and steady right till 3300 RPM.

feels awsome, the smoke clears up right at 3300 rpm
Old 05-05-2006, 07:47 PM

Moparguy, It sounds like his injector pump is already messed up, or maybe one of the throttle return springs are missing. Or, maybe BOTH return springs are worn out?

Still waiting for an answer to my ??? on page 4.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy Cusick
Yeah, I'm familiar w/ that rod... stupid pop on ends kept popping off the pump until I smacked em w/ a hammer!
Wouldn't shortening the rod affect full throttle? Would it result in the engine not getting full fuel? If that's not the case, I'm heading to the garage tonight to get 'er lined out!
i personally dont know what exactly you mean, maybe someone else less stupid could help you out.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:03 AM

Jeremy, I don't know. I pulled the washers, put things back together and it was fine. No indications of problems.

I don't know if it's my lack of tuning ability or something else. I do think this is a good mod, I'll do it to little Bro's 95 soon and will report the results.

RR
Old 05-06-2006, 10:22 AM

Jeremy, I don't know. I pulled the washers, put things back together and it was fine. No indications of problems.

I don't know if it's my lack of tuning ability or something else. I do think this is a good mod, I'll do it to little Bro's 95 soon and will report the results.

RR
Good luck. it definitly should work. i would say its easier from the side of the pump, through the plug, I did it from the top, and it took me longer to get the retainer fin into the washer hole.

it worked awesome for me at the 1st time. pulls HARD to 3300 rpm
probably on a 160 it will be a little less.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:49 PM

I'm sure most are thinking, man, that guy needs to give his wrenchs away. And I'm starting to agree. Went out this am, pulled the plug on the side of the pump, in about 30 sec. of fishing with the magnet, had the washer.

I removed the 1/2 washers, checked the od, 1.030, so, found a couple of 3/8 washers, .95 od., drilled the holes to about .510, fit on the retainer stud was fine, installed, set both studs to 50 thou, reassemblied, cranked, idle was ok, gave a bit of fuel and it auto idled up to 2k. Shut down, just as a test, added two clicks, still auto fast idle (with just a bit of throttle pressure) to 2k and above. Shut down, getting a bit of lunch.

Next step, I'll pull 4 clicks off and see what happens.

Question, what happens if you start the engine up with the plate out and afc off, just wondering if I can save the constant install/remove cycle while tuning.

Thanks, RR
We did it tomy friends 97 5 speed with those exact results. you reved it up around 2k took forever to copme back down. No one seems to know why we have tried everything with no changes backed um off clicks tightend them down. Even tried different washers and no good. we did it to my 96 and i couldnt be happier went down without a hitch i have one time jumped in it and it was still pullin at 3600 and let off.

Whats with the 97? or what could cause this?
Old 05-07-2006, 10:57 PM

I dunno I did it on a 98 with the same results but then on a 96 it worked flawlessly and I played with the 98 for like 3 hrs and couldnt get it right but what it could be is missing throttle return springs. Because when we pulled the 215 pump off that 98 it only had one spring on and its supposed to have 3.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Chapter President

Hearing about the 97 problems is what I was afraid of.. Not all governors on the 215's are the same.. Some have shims, some have a couple springs.. Hmmm, might have to cough up for spring kit..
Old 05-08-2006, 11:28 AM

Lil Dog, the 97 I worked with had 3 springs, I wanna say they looked just like the 3 that my 95 have (or at least had, it's got a Piers 3kgsk now).

I'd suggest rounding up a pair of 3/8th washers, drilling out to 1/2" and giving them a try. Let us know.

RR

Quick Reply: free GSK for the p pump bunch