Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

First Impressions of PS62-14

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you checked for any boost leaks? Make sure the wastegate isn't sticking partially open.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:56 AM

how in the world did they figure you should see 40psi. out of that turbo on a stock truck???? w/out boost fooling theres no way is there??? I know you have the catcher & you do have the boost fooling, but they actually told you it'd put out 40psi. on a stock truck?????? doesn't sound like very good info. to me?? I think the 12cm would have been a much better suited housing for your needs??? just my opinion??? Dusty
Old 02-05-2007, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dusty Ratcliff
how in the world did they figure you should see 40psi. out of that turbo on a stock truck???? w/out boost fooling theres no way is there??? I know you have the catcher & you do have the boost fooling, but they actually told you it'd put out 40psi. on a stock truck?????? doesn't sound like very good info. to me?? I think the 12cm would have been a much better suited housing for your needs??? just my opinion??? Dusty
he has catcher/boostfooler and 1.5 EDM's, far from stock.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:06 AM

Big Blue

Is there an easy way to check the intercooler for leaks and is there an easy way to check the wastegate?

I'm thinking that II is full of *#*!!

Why did I listen to them? The said I should hook up the trailer and see if it runs cooler with it.

It sounds like they're shooting in the wind
Old 02-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Banned

You can make a simple tester out of PVC and an air chuck. Directions are on here somewhere on how to make that. For the wastegate just disconnect the hose going into the intake side of the turbo and hook up an air compressor to it and regulate your air compressor down to 20 psi and slowly start cranking it up until you see the gate open. That'll allow you to see where it's wastegated yet. Watch the arm and make sure it's moving. Once you get it open take the air pressure off of it and see if the arm moves back or gets caught somewhere.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:42 PM

I don't know how many people (not just here, but on several forums) told me that around 32psi was what I should expect on my ps64/14, but when I changed my injectors a couple weeks ago I found a boost leak at the gasket right under the grid heaters. now I'm hitting right at or just above 40. I THOUGHT I had a boost leak, but could never find it and just assumed everyone knew what they were talking about.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:07 PM

I can nail 45psi with my sps62 no trouble and my truck isnt running right at all. I was told a larger turbo would run cooler at WOT and hotter under normal driving. Perhaps it really would run cooler with a load behind it? I dont know, but it might be worth a shot to take a quick run down a high speed road with the trailer if its not to much to hook it up.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by BOILERMAKER
I don't know how many people (not just here, but on several forums) told me that around 32psi was what I should expect on my ps64/14, but when I changed my injectors a couple weeks ago I found a boost leak at the gasket right under the grid heaters. now I'm hitting right at or just above 40. I THOUGHT I had a boost leak, but could never find it and just assumed everyone knew what they were talking about.
32's where the 64/14 is supposed to be most effecient. I hit 47 on my ps64 with mach 4's.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by slowflyer2112
Why did I listen to them? The said I should hook up the trailer and see if it runs cooler with it.
If loading the engine more brings in more boost then egts should come down- that turbo should be cooler @ 30 lbs than the stocker. I think you have a leak because a catcher and 1.5's should make more boost than that. Pm Charlie8301, he's got a very close setup to yours and has tried a few of II's turbos trying to get a handle on egts. He runs a sps62 now =P
Old 02-06-2007, 02:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You've got plenty of fuel to spool that turbo. It is the right turbo for your needs. I think that your new turbo is working fine, it probably made a ton of boost on it's first few spins and caused a leak somewhere due to the higher psi. I'd stop wasting time checking all of the other things and check for boost leaks between turbo and intake manifold. New turbo's come tested from the factory, i'm sure it works fine. Just fill up a spray bottle with some dish soap and water, start the truck and start spraying, ten bucks says you've got a boost leak somewhere. Bubbles=leak
Old 02-06-2007, 09:24 AM

I know he is far from stock but,........................
"Called II, They had me check the shaft and clamp off the waste gate hose. They said that this turbo should produce close to 40 lbs of boost on a stock truck"?????

that's where I got the stock truck making 40 psi. from??? does that sound right to you guys???? just didn't sound quite right to me??? Dusty
Old 02-06-2007, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Big Blue24
... I'd stop wasting time checking all of the other things and check for boost leaks between turbo and intake manifold. New turbo's come tested from the factory, i'm sure it works fine. Just fill up a spray bottle with some dish soap and water, start the truck and start spraying, ten bucks says you've got a boost leak somewhere. Bubbles=leak
Good advice! Sure sounds like a leak to me!
But will leak show up at idle?? Might need to chock the wheels and get a helper to put it in gear, stand on the brake and give it some throttle...to build some boost! I'd ck it at idle first though.

Safer to build the PVC tube and pressurize the system.

RJ
Old 02-06-2007, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
Good advice! Sure sounds like a leak to me!
But will leak show up at idle?? Might need to chock the wheels and get a helper to put it in gear, stand on the brake and give it some throttle...to build some boost! I'd ck it at idle first though.

Safer to build the PVC tube and pressurize the system.

RJ
I don't think you'll have enough pressure at idle to find much. At 2k rpm, I can build 3 psi in neutral. So bring the revs up. Just keep your fingers ouf of the fan.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:49 PM

Mark,are you sure the v band clamp is seated correctly at the intake discharge pipe? I had the same problem when i first did my twins,boost was low,power wasnt great.It looked ok,but was on there a little crooked,we found it with a homemade boost leak tester.Be sure to check it good there,or better yet,make up an adapter and pressurize it with regulated air and a compressor.Something is wrong,you just have to find out what.