Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

excessive blowby on higher HP motors

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by getblown5.9
i never get drips or puddles either but working under the truck is a pain because there is oil on everything.

at least it wont rust
You should have heard Tim when he was doing my cam- gotta pressure wash this, pressure wash that He generously threw in some fuel line so we eliminate the bottle.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Banned

Mine blows some to. Leaves a small puddle after a dyno.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:00 AM
Banned

This is one of the tightest engines I've had... even with almost 200k miles, it'll leave a drop or two very rarely after a hard highway trip.

I did put three breathers up top and they mist oil onto the head now, but I had visions of blowing the tappet cover
Old 05-04-2007, 03:09 PM
The Guru

Dumping the blow-by into the exhaust sounds like a good answer except I would put in a check valve to prevent back flow. I hate to see you get pressure (exhaust) going back in the motor thru the blow-by bottle. You might increase the chance for other engine oil leaks. Like oil leaking from the main seals as a result you pressurizing the engine. Thought that cummin's had a scavenging kit for us B motor boy's. I remember seeing it in a broucher on one of my parts buying visit. I hardly have any blow-by out of the bottle. I just have exhaust leaks that sprays soot all over my hood. I also gone thru two front seals and badly need a new one. My rear seal is also leaks. For a motor with only 120k miles on it sure leaks oil. Dodge wants $1k just to fix my rear seal. My local Cummin's shop doesn't have a truck lift, so there out.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Because a CTD isn't normally aspirated over much of it's operating envelope, I don't think a gasser-style crankcase evacuation system will work very well.

Wonder if an emissions air pump would suffice, plumbed backwards into the air intake... "waste not - want not"!

.... can you say, "RUN ON"
Old 05-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Banned

would something as simple as a couple of those breather filters in the valve cover help also, i see lots of 12v's with them.

or to avoid the mess, run 1-2 extra hose out of the VC and down to the ground to blow pressure/vapor and any oil out to the ground
Old 05-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Banned

that's what I did... valve cover breathers... you'll get some oil mist accumulation if you don't keep it cleaned up, but it beats blowing a side cover!

on my 97, I ran the blowby tube into the downpipe... it was a 4" downpipe and 5" straight pipe... not a lot of backpressure right? wrong, it pushed the dipstick out a number of times. I nixed that idea
Old 05-08-2007, 09:07 PM

It doesnt have to be the rings that letting the blowby accur. It can also be the big amount of boost that you are running and the turbo seals will leak some and send boost into your crankcase and cause that also.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Which turbo seals leak and send boost into the crankcase?
Old 05-09-2007, 01:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Dumping the blow-by into the exhaust sounds like a good answer except I would put in a check valve to prevent back flow. I hate to see you get pressure (exhaust) going back in the motor thru the blow-by bottle. You might increase the chance for other engine oil leaks. Like oil leaking from the main seals as a result you pressurizing the engine. Thought that cummin's had a scavenging kit for us B motor boy's. I remember seeing it in a broucher on one of my parts buying visit. I hardly have any blow-by out of the bottle. I just have exhaust leaks that sprays soot all over my hood. I also gone thru two front seals and badly need a new one. My rear seal is also leaks. For a motor with only 120k miles on it sure leaks oil. Dodge wants $1k just to fix my rear seal. My local Cummin's shop doesn't have a truck lift, so there out.
You're not going to have pressure in the exhaust pipe exceed crankcase pressure unless you stuff a potato up the pipe or something.

Venting the crankcase to the exhaust (post turbo) is an excellent idea, though somewhat of a hassle.

jmo
Old 05-09-2007, 07:33 AM

Wonder if taking the oil fill cap off and replacing it with a small breather would help any?
Old 05-09-2007, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Teddy Bear
Wonder if taking the oil fill cap off and replacing it with a small breather would help any?
That would be a good idea to comeup with a oil breather that utilizes your factory oil fill threads
Old 05-09-2007, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HOHN
You're not going to have pressure in the exhaust pipe exceed crankcase pressure unless you stuff a potato up the pipe or something.

Venting the crankcase to the exhaust (post turbo) is an excellent idea, though somewhat of a hassle.

jmo
This has been tried, and the results were not favorable. One, the amount of pressure in the exhaust pipe, would probably surprise you, and under some conditions, the amount of pressure greatly exceeds what is in the crankcase. Two, using a check valve, like is done in a lot of race cars, doesn't work very well, because we don't have the exhaust pulsations that open header systems do. The turbo does a very good job of evening out the pulsations.

Paul
Old 05-09-2007, 11:42 AM

HMMMM Time to dig through my old boxes of Turbo Buick parts. I had replaced the oil fill cap with a vented screw in cap on it. Need to see if the threads are the same. Plus I know I've got a 1 way valve and crankcase purge kit that I bought before I sold my last car. You could also try mounting a belt driven evac pump system in the same location as the RASP pumps mount and evac your crankcase without using the exhaust downpipe method.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by paulb
This has been tried, and the results were not favorable. One, the amount of pressure in the exhaust pipe, would probably surprise you, and under some conditions, the amount of pressure greatly exceeds what is in the crankcase. Two, using a check valve, like is done in a lot of race cars, doesn't work very well, because we don't have the exhaust pulsations that open header systems do. The turbo does a very good job of evening out the pulsations.

Paul
Yeah when you have a modded truck sreamin trying to get all that exhaust out it's gotta be way more pressure than in your crank case

Quick Reply: excessive blowby on higher HP motors