Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Emjay Strategy Controller

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Emjay Strategy Controller

Hi guys,

Well I know a lot of you have been wondering about the Emjay strategy controller, an electronic unit for automatic transmission owners that provides comprehensive control over your transmission.

Thanks to our own Lary Ellis (SFtopSGT), DieselTruckResource.Com will be publishing a series of articles on the subject. His first article has been published this evening and basically explains how the series will be laid out. It also provides some preliminary information from the Emjay publications.

Keep in mind that this is a preliminary article and it attempts to explain how our testing of the unit will work, and what to expect from future articles in the series. We don't know for sure yet, but the series will be either 3 or 4 different articles tackling different subject lines. You can expect much more technical information as the series progresses, as well as many pictures.

Feel free to check the article out and discuss.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...jay/emjay.html

Visit Emjay's Site

Old 12-19-2002, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Emjay Strategy Controller

This controller works very well it’s been in my truck for a little over a week. Very impressed with the performance of it.<br>1. It has all the ability to adjust all of the shift points from 1st to 4th gear<br>2. Lockup control at any speed on or off.<br>3. Exhaust brake control (custom) programming for the brake.<br>4. The overdrive cancel button can be programmed for overdrive cancel or converter lockup control at any speed. (This is providing you have the inhibit circuit in the valve body modified). This inhibit circuit is what keeps the signal valve from locking the torque converter clutch up at 1st &amp; 2nd gear. This also cuts the converter clutch from on to off on a downshift 4th to 3rd gear. With this valve body mod the controller has full control for any combination you can come up with.<br>5. Being able to change the base factory voltage curve from the 5 volt to lower or higher ranges. This will work as follows. The lower the voltage the shorter the shifts can be achieved. The higher the voltage curve the longer the shifts get.<br>6. Control with the APPS voltage or speed control over shift point.<br>7. The starting voltage curve at the governor pressure sensor can be changed. This will help other vendors that use resistors for line pressure increases. (The resistor is no longer needed) Our company found the right Pressure Regulator combination not to have the need for the resistor anymore. Other vendors that still need to use resistors will enjoy this controller. The rate of line pressure increase is the key. The faster the line rise during acceleration causes the fault code problem. The base line pressure also has an effect.<br>8. The software is windows based very user friendly to use. <br>9. The controller has 3 levels of control using a 3-position switch (Stock) (Towing) (Loaded) each level can be custom set to anything you want!<br>10. The software has graph charts for programming TPS voltage or speed control.<br>11. The unit mounts clean and virtually undetectable from the eye. VERY CLEAN.<br>12. The electrical connections, wiring, etc., are high quality gear VERY NICE.<br>13. Much more in options can be later added. GREAT work from Mike Steiger.<br><br>Our Review of this unit is (We will stand behind the gear with our name on it!)<br><br>Don Ramer ATS Diesel Performance.<br>
Old 12-19-2002, 04:13 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Great Stuff there Don thanks for sharing it with us. I look forward to showing in detail all I learn about this product as I give this eval unit a try.

I too have done a great deal of research on it, and I commend you on your position to give it a fair shake. I can't understand what possible motivation people can find in slamming something they have NO information on.

But you can rest assured that I and others like me will remember those who attempt to deface a Vendor or product before it even has a chance to be thoroughly tested. I take the position to let the product speak for itself, if it is a viable addition to these trucks we will know it, if it isn't we will know that as well.

Old 12-19-2002, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have removed many posts in this thread because they're completely off topic and have nothing to do with the subject at hand, which is a purely technical discussion, or Q&amp;A of the new controller. Thank you for your understanding.

Now lets start over here, and enjoy a discussion about this controller, and its technical info.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:22 PM
Admin Team Leader

Thanks Jack
Old 12-19-2002, 07:38 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

OK now that we're starting over <br>How much of a difference could I expect to see with a stock auto?, or is this designed more towards the Aftermarket trannys?<br>I know I'll need to upgrade due to &quot;performance modifications&quot;<br>but the $$$ just aren't there at the moment.<br>Will this help my stock unit survive my modest at present HP/Torque gains?<br><br>Ed
Old 12-19-2002, 07:49 PM

This unit will be able to give all of the functions except:
1. 4-3 Downshift locked up
2. 1-2 Shift locked up

All the other functions are great. 8)

Don ATS Diesel Performance

You can put a modified valvebody and converter to get it.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:52 PM

The Strategy Controller for the 47RE equipped Dodge RAM(R) Cummins(R) Turbo Diesel Pickups offers shift point adjustment, multiple profiles, OD control, TPS filter, TCC and exhaust brake control in one compact, rugged unit. All for about the same price as other single function controllers.<br><br>Features Include:<br><br>Shift Point Curve Adjustment -- Adjust your 1-2 and 2-3 part and full throttle shift points based on TPS/APPS or vehicle speed or a combination of the two. Adjustment range is approximately +/- 20%<br><br>OD Lockout -- Disables overdrive below a user-defined speed, enables it at a second user defined speed. The STRATEGY controller starts with the OD disengaged. Now you don't have to fiddle with the OD button when the road opens up. One less distraction for you.<br><br>TCC Strategies -- Lock Preserve mode prevents unlocking of the TCC once the PCM has locked it. Prevents excessive wear on your TCC as well as your nerves from constant locking and unlocking of TCC at light throttle. TCC automatically disengages at a user-defined preset low threshold speed.<br><br>Independent TCC Control mode allows the STRATEGY controller to completely control the TCC, allowing unlock at a preset high threshold to prevent TCC slippage when you're punching it. It also has automatic release like Lock Preserve mode.<br><br>TPS Filter -- The signal coming from the TPS/APPS is low-pass filtered and buffered inside the STRATEGY controller. The filtered signal is connected to the PCM so it gets a cleaner signal.<br><br>Exhaust Brake Strategies -- Exhaust Brake options are numerous, including throttle position, OD downshift, brake switch activation, delays to engage and downshift in 0.2 second increments. You can program it to downshift and enable the exhaust brake in any order, all synchronized to the throttle closed or throttle closed/brake on event. The OD ON/OFF switch functions as a TCC/Exhaust Brake apply button when the exhaust brake is enabled so you can downshift and apply the exhaust brake below 20 MPH*. The exhaust brake disengages below a user-defined speed, so you don't sit at traffic lights making noise and heating up your engine. For you folks that use a remote starter on those cold mornings, the exhaust brake is on when the engine is first started, until the brake pedal is pressed for the first time after starting. That will help heat your engine a LOT faster!<br><br>Strategy Storage -- The STRATEGY controller comes with three pre-defined profiles (Stock, Loaded, and Towing). You can select which one you want to use on the fly with a single on-off-on toggle switch (included) in the cab. With the Emjay CAL software, you can modify those profiles or define your own profiles for towing, empty, racing, or whatever you decide.<br><br>Windows(R) Software -- The Emjay CAL software is available free. Even future upgrades. Download a copy and check it out! It offers unparalled adjustabilty combined with ease of use. It even has metric (KPH) and imperial (MPH) settings.<br><br>Gear Ratio Change? Bigger tires? The latest software allows for a -25 +50 % variance in calibration. No firmware change is required.<br><br>The unit attaches to wires near the PCM. Once installed, it can be easily removed because all STRATEGY controllers feature the legendary Weather-Pack(R) connector system.<br><br>Weatherproof crimp/heat-shrink/seal splices are provided. The splices are then wrapped in included cold-shrink tape (NOT electrical tape) that chemically bonds to itself when applied, for a clean, reliable installation. Explicit instructions are provided on how to properly splice the harness. It is no more difficult to install than a car stereo, probably easier than a car alarm.<br><br>
Old 12-20-2002, 04:59 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

dramer or top- did you test the PC link and reprogramming yet? <br>I'd be interested in some screenshots and practical results. <br>dramer- would you see this controller as an alternative to dropping the pan to adjust shiftpoints or is the variance by the controller too small to achieve this? ( You say +-20%- of what- speed or throttle position? )<br>Not wanting to be a PIA, out of interest for the product.<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 12-20-2002, 10:00 AM
Admin Team Leader

AlpineRam, I start testing the unit next week and I will be looking at all those very things as well as the questions Shovelhead has. My intent is to install it into a truck with 105,000 miles on the stock Tranny and see what kind if any improvements it may make.<br><br> This thing is not designed to fix a bad TPS or transmission but it may aid it by supplying a cleaner signal form the TPS/APPS as well as allowing for much better control of the sloppy shift points.<br><br> After I test it thoroughly in this manner I will do so again with the Transmission upgraded.<br><br> I have some documentation you might like to read on the Strategy Controller Marcus, I will send it your way, also feel free to download the software from the Emjay website. You can go through it and see just why we are so excited about this product.<br><br> Mike Steiger has obviously done his homework on this project, and this is going to be one of those &quot;must have&quot; items for all of us &quot;Auto tranny&quot; crowd. Finally being able to get a real grip on controlling the 47RE.<br><br> Don and another Fellow both have it in their truck now and I hear everyday how much more fun it is to drive these trucks with the unit installed.<br><br> I will send the document to you via email Markus.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:53 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Thanks Top!<br><br>Got the mail. <br> ;D<br><br>Looks like a really promising thingie. <br>But then I'd always have my notebook on the pass. seat and my dear wife would have to stay out while I do recalibration ;D .<br><br>And<br><br>Merry Christmas !<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 12-20-2002, 11:16 AM

Scope Photo
Old 12-20-2002, 11:18 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Don, not trying to sound ignorant(too late) but what does that indicate? ???
Old 12-20-2002, 11:18 AM

Scope Photo
Old 12-20-2002, 11:19 AM

What are you looking for? You dont need to drop the pan to adjust shift points. I'm showing how the changes can be made for tps or speed or both. The 5 volt line is factory ref see next graph
4. The overdrive cancel button can be programmed for overdrive cancel or converter lockup control at any speed. (This is providing you have the inhibit circuit in the valve body modified). This inhibit circuit is what keeps the signal valve from locking the torque converter clutch up at 1st &amp; 2nd gear. This also cuts the converter clutch from on to off on a downshift 4th to 3rd gear. With this valve body mod the controller has full control for any combination you can come up with.
5. Being able to change the base factory voltage curve from the 5 volt to lower or higher ranges. This will work as follows. The lower the voltage the shorter the shifts can be achieved. The higher the voltage curve the longer the shifts get.
6. Control with the APPS voltage or speed control over shift point.
7. The starting voltage curve at the governor pressure sensor can be changed. This will help other vendors that use resistors for line pressure increases. (The resistor is no longer needed) Our company found the right Pressure Regulator combination not to have the need for the resistor anymore. Other vendors that still need to use resistors will enjoy this controller. The rate of line pressure increase is the key. The faster the line rise during acceleration causes the fault code problem. The base line pressure also has an effect.

Don

Quick Reply: Emjay Strategy Controller